Record collectors are paying $22+ for an empty box | Marketing BOWIE's Brilliant Live Adventures

Stygian

Contributor
Premium Supporter
Jul 20, 2016
Canada
Stumbled across this video on YouTube. Seems similar to premium edition One Click SteelBook boxsets.

The difference here is that you're at least getting 6 different Live Albums as opposed to the same movie discs 3 times in the same SteelBook 3 times.

They mention the high price after the separate shipping but compared to the price of One Clicks and shipping costs involved with some of them, this actually would seem like a pretty decent deal if you're into this kind of thing.

Would you pay extra for boxes? Do you wish you could buy some kind of empty One Click style boxes to put a series of SteelBooks in? Like the Zavvi Star Wars SteelBooks? Or Batman SteelBooks?

What series would you like a box for? Or what artist would you like to buy a box for to hold your records?

Please chime in with your thoughts.

• Thanks
Reactions: steelmybeatingheart
I mean, the price of a box/packaging is always included in the price if you buy them with an actual product inside anyway, so seems fair to me... gives people the option to buy one if they want, or just get the records without for cheaper than it would with the box. Wish they'd do the same with one-clicks tbh, as there's some awesome boxes out there, but unless it's a film I absolutely love (and can afford), then I don't exactly fancy buying it 3 times just to get the OC box.

yes, i would buy an empty box if it was good artwork and for something i needed. :thumbs: i'm not surprised at all people would, it's hardly a new idea.

i have bought some releases (films, music, book series) because it had a nice box, so i'd definitely buy a box to keep something i already have that's otherwise 'loose' or, erm, unboxed. that's why there is a market for people making boxes for things people already own that were not 'boxed,' like custom slips. it's not a great leap from that to a box for a group of things.

some ideas:
  • someone somewhere will definitely be putting together a custom box for the zavvi Star Wars releases, and it will probably be better than what the stutios/retailers might make!
  • a box for the Star Wars picture disc soundtrack releases would be good. @paulboland would need that! :)
  • someone should do so for the Train To Busan releases.
  • also for the Studio Ghibli steel series. this would be my top wish :woot:. that would need to be a strong one, but there's an immediate market for that. anyone...?
  • and the Makoto Shinkai films (Your Name, etc).
  • or any series of films. say, Die Hard. steels released via different studios, so not uniform for all - but a new series box could tie them together.
  • as for music artists, i have innumerable close-to-complete vinyl collections for various artists, so yeah, that would be of interest to many, i am sure.
so, yeah, i'm out, i like boxes. ahem. :bag: yes, i'll go to my...

In A Box Reaction GIF

Reactions: Stygian
yes, i would buy an empty box if it was good artwork and for something i needed. :thumbs: i'm not surprised at all people would, it's hardly a new idea.

i have bought some releases (films, music, book series) because it had a nice box, so i'd definitely buy a box to keep something i already have that's otherwise 'loose' or, erm, unboxed. that's why there is a market for people making boxes for things people already own that were not 'boxed,' like custom slips. it's not a great leap from that to a box for a group of things.

some ideas:
  • someone somewhere will definitely be putting together a custom box for the zavvi Star Wars releases, and it will probably be better than what the stutios/retailers might make!
  • a box for the Star Wars picture disc soundtrack releases would be good. @paulboland would need that! :)
  • someone should do so for the Train To Busan releases.
  • also for the Studio Ghibli steel series. this would be my top wish :woot:. that would need to be a strong one, but there's an immediate market for that. anyone...?
  • and the Makoto Shinkai films (Your Name, etc).
  • or any series of films. say, Die Hard. steels released via different studios, so not uniform for all - but a new series box could tie them together.
  • as for music artists, i have innumerable close-to-complete vinyl collections for various artists, so yeah, that would be of interest to many, i am sure.
so, yeah, i'm out, i like boxes. ahem. :bag: yes, i'll go to my...

In A Box Reaction GIF

Lots of great ideas there!

• Thanks
Reactions: steelmybeatingheart