lenticularis

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
Contributor
Premium Supporter
Jul 15, 2014
UK
Release date: August 22, 2022
Purchase links: Signal One - Amazon UK - HMV - Zavvi
Price: £19.99 (Signal) - £17.99 (Amazon - HMV) - £24.99 (Zavvi)

RRWbr.PNG

The quirkiest thriller since Blood Simple, RED ROCK WEST stars Nicolas Cage, Dennis Hopper, and Lara Flynn Boyle in an offbeat mystery about an average guy who is mistaken for a professional hitman.

Dead tired and flat broke after driving 12,000 miles, an unemployed Texan, Michael (Cage), walks into a tavern in tiny Red Rock, Wyoming, and is immediately offered a job. There’s just one problem: the owner thinks Michael is a hitman, and the “job” is murdering the owner’s wife (Boyle). Just when Michael decides to take the money and run, the real hitman (Hopper) arrives, ready to do the job right.

Full of playful twists and sexy turns, RED ROCK WEST is a perfect game of cat-and-mouse that will keep you guessing until the final, shocking shot.

Dual Format Edition Special Features:
  • High-Definition Transfer
  • UK Blu-ray™ Premiere
  • Still Gallery
  • Optional English SDH Subtitles for the Main Feature
  • Video Essay with Film Critic Mark Searby
  • Audio Commentary with Director John Dahl
  • New Interview with Director John Dahl
  • New interview with Editor Scott Chestnut
  • New interview with Actor Dale Gibson
  • “Caged In” host Petros Patsilivas talks Nicolas Cage's performance
  • Booklet by Ian Schultz
  • Poster

Reactions: C.C. 95 and sinusR2
I gave up on waiting and thought this would never actually come out so I bought the Concorde release last year. But will still get this one for sure o_O

Awesome, I love The Last Seduction and Lara Flynn Boyle, and like all John Dahl movies - Rounders, Unforgettable, You Kill Me - and wanted to see this one for a while!

Reactions: C.C. 95
I don't dig the artwork on the Umbrella. This Signal One has the Original classic one sheet poster Art.
the umbrella slip is really bad,
IMG_8488.jpeg
and the amaray art is ok, but a bit cartoony.
IMG_9779.jpegIMG_9783.jpeg

i don't know if there is any quality difference between the two versions- will have to dig into that. I would assume they are both from the same transfer.

Last edited:
I don't dig the artwork on the Umbrella. This Signal One has the Original classic one sheet poster Art.
the umbrella slip is really bad,
View attachment 565693
and the amaray art is ok, but a bit cartoony.
View attachment 565694View attachment 565695

i don't know if there is any quality difference between the two versions- will have to dig into that. I would assume they are both from the same transfer.

Tbh, I think the drawn slip cover looks horrible and the yellow outer box is just lazy and boring... But the amaray seems to have the original artwork at least... Still, in the end the content is mot important, of course. What bothers me more is that these Aussie releases are always so expensive when ordering from Europe...

Also, is there some info on whether this will use a new transfer or something?

Tbh, I think the drawn slip cover looks horrible and the yellow outer box is just lazy and boring... But the amaray seems to have the original artwork at least... Still, in the end the content is mot important, of course. What bothers me more is that these Aussie releases are always so expensive when ordering from Europe...

Also, is there some info on whether this will use a new transfer or something?
It does not say new transfer. There is supposedly a US release coming and I am hoping for a 4k/2k scan. And a John Dahl box set??:yawn: The Umbrella sets have no appeal for me. Why is there a slipcover inside a slipcase? How bothersome

Reactions: sinusR2
Tell that to Vinegar Syndrome... :shipped:

I suggest digital copies. No wrapping at all.
Sarcastic Sarcasm GIF
Luckily VS only do a few of those. And my old Billy shelf from IKEA fits 8 normal slipcovers + 1 of those hard outer cases perfectly in each section. So that works out nice. For the most part. Then there is the price tag..

Tell that to Vinegar Syndrome... :shipped:

I suggest digital copies. No wrapping at all.
Sarcastic Sarcasm GIF
If they would come with alle the bonus features, perfect picture quality and easy accessibility / unlimited downloads in the future, sure. Not interested in buying some code and then hoping the platform stays alive forever... But that option does not exist as of yet AFAIK. Something like Steam for games would be great or even better some independent format or system that you can import into the streaming platform of your choice. Even better: you could own a proof of purchase in some open source format with its own API on the blockchain which you can then import / move to various platforms... But of course, this system would have to be created first and then adapted by streaming services - which they obviously have no interest in since you could buy stuff anywhere and then just use there platform to watch it. So until then it's all Sci-Fi and I'll probably stick to discs - even though they are not perfect, obviously since 1) you need space and 2) they can break / degrade over time...

Reactions: Lenny Nero
If they would come with alle the bonus features, perfect picture quality and easy accessibility / unlimited downloads in the future, sure. Not interested in buying some code and then hoping the platform stays alive forever... But that option does not exist as of yet AFAIK. Something like Steam for games would be great or even better some independent format or system that you can import into the streaming platform of your choice. Even better: you could own a proof of purchase in some open source format with its own API on the blockchain which you can then import / move to various platforms... But of course, this system would have to be created first and then adapted by streaming services - which they obviously have no interest in since you could buy stuff anywhere and then just use there platform to watch it. So until then it's all Sci-Fi and I'll probably stick to discs - even though they are not perfect, obviously since 1) you need space and 2) they can break / degrade over time...
Absolutely agree, if the studios got off their butts and used blockchain technology to sell lifetime rights to video files of certain quality, embedding it into a sort of NFTs, and put online their entire libraries, and allowed to download and keep the files, everyone would win, and there'd be less piracy.

As of now Movies Anywhere works pretty good as an UltraViolet successor, and if you link your accounts, it does then allow to view your purchases on a platform you didn't buy them on, at least with YouTube.

Absolutely agree, if the studios got off their butts and used blockchain technology to sell lifetime rights to video files of certain quality, embedding it into a sort of NFTs, and put online their entire libraries, and allowed to download and keep the files, everyone would win, and there'd be less piracy.

As of now Movies Anywhere works pretty good as an UltraViolet successor, and if you link your accounts, it does then allow to view your purchases on a platform you didn't buy them on, at least with YouTube.
Isnt Movies Anywhere region coded though? Somehow, I believe to know you cannot activate a US Code in a EU account etc. Or is there even a non-US version? I know my US discs often come with digital codes, but I havent seen these in European releases for many years now... I doubt this would work globally: if there a German version of a film from turbine , an Aussie from Imprint , UK from Arrow and US from Criterion - I want to be able to choose which one to buy as they often differ greatly. For this I do not see a closed solution provided by any one company as there surely would be rights issues. Blockchain NFTs as you and I agree could work I guess but would require that open system and platform to work with... One can still dream and hope....

Isnt Movies Anywhere region coded though? Somehow, I believe to know you cannot activate a US Code in a EU account etc. Or is there even a non-US version? I know my US discs often come with digital codes, but I havent seen these in European releases for many years now... I doubt this would work globally: if there a German version of a film from turbine , an Aussie from Imprint , UK from Arrow and US from Criterion - I want to be able to choose which one to buy as they often differ greatly
Oh yes it is, and that's another really annoying gripe with that - if you want people to pay you honestly, don't block your content based on country, otherwise you're basically pushing everyone else to pirate.
I have a US account, and Movies Anywhere doesn't allow to view stuff without VPN at least, but same content streams fine through YouTube in various countries outside US after activation without any VPN.
It can all become blocked any time though, so there's never a feeling of security of such a 'collection'. That's why I don't usually buy any digital copies, besides those that come with discs.

Oh yes it is, and that's another really annoying gripe with that - if you want people to pay you honestly, don't block your content based on country, otherwise you're basically pushing everyone else to pirate.
I have a US account, and Movies Anywhere doesn't allow to view stuff without VPN at least, but same content streams fine through YouTube in various countries outside US after activation without any VPN.
It can all become blocked any time though, so there's never a feeling of security of such a 'collection'. That's why I don't usually buy any digital copies, besides those that come with discs.
I see, as I suspected...

See, I don't get it: These "owning solutions" are obviously mostly targeting collectors, because most people are not interested in "owning" a movie, they just want to watch it once. They don't need this and are fine with Netflix, Prime Video, Youtube, HBO, Apple TV etc.
So, knowing this (if they do), these companies should specifically cater to collectors (you would think) and if you know collectors you know they often tend to look for specific versions internationally...