Retro Movie Poster Chat Thread

blumaster

Premium Supporter
Mar 12, 2012
Omaha
Probably the coolest movie posters ever created....
egt582.jpg

starwarsrussia.jpg

star-wars-russian-movie-poster-puma-style.jpg

5443.jpg

:thumbs:

Last edited by a moderator:
because having eyes on your rib cage has nothing to do with Alien.

I've never seen the movie before, so if someone could tell me how these aliens come to life, I'd appreciate it.

Woah woah woah!! You've never seen any of the Alien movies? :0

You're not looking close enough....

Space Cowboy is Han Solo.

Rock Monster is Jabba the Hut with the Death Star over him, plus the warp speed light streaks.

Alien Sex Party is Mos Eisley.

The only one that has little to do with the movie is Cat Vader.

Again, this is interpretative art at it's finest, imo. Artists who lived under communist pressures creating their own unique visions of the first American film to be released in Russia. Interpretations that you simply will never see from a western artist.

I'm honestly shocked that not only do you guys think these are bad, but you can't even form a connection between the posters and the movies. I thought HDN was comprised of mostly affluent, educated people that didn't need things spelled out for them, but especially the damn Space Cowboy being Han Solo.

Can late 80's, early 90's Russians really have a better imagination the people on this message board?

Easy there cowboy, we were commenting on the art. In no way were we dissing you for liking these. No need to call us uneducated and nonaffluent. I take offense to that as most people would consider me a very intelligent man.

Art is purely subjective. I've seen people pay hundreds of thousands of dollars for something that, to me, looked like a kid had flung paint on a canvas.

Its great that you can appreciate these. For me, I have to identify with a movie poster in order to like it.

You're not looking close enough....

Space Cowboy is Han Solo.

Rock Monster is Jabba the Hut with the Death Star over him, plus the warp speed light streaks.

Alien Sex Party is Mos Eisley.

The only one that has little to do with the movie is Cat Vader.

Again, this is interpretative art at it's finest, imo. Artists who lived under communist pressures creating their own unique visions of the first American film to be released in Russia. Interpretations that you simply will never see from a western artist.

I'm honestly shocked that not only do you guys think these are bad, but you can't even form a connection between the posters and the movies. I thought HDN was comprised of mostly affluent, educated people that didn't need things spelled out for them, but especially the damn Space Cowboy being Han Solo.

Can late 80's, early 90's Russians really have a better imagination the people on this message board?

Jeez, climb down off your high horse. Yes I made the connections AFTER you had pointed out that these were Star Wars prints but BEFORE you said they were Star Wars prints I would not have guessed what they were and neither would you. So how about you stop talking down to people and accept their opinions if you're capable of doing such a thing, I consider those who are able to do so to be of higher intellect than those ignoramuses who think they're the only ones allowed an opinion.

Anyway, let's not turn this into the steelbook section with petty arguments. We've all made our points so we can more on now :)

Last edited:
Easy there cowboy, we were commenting on the art. In no way were we dissing you for liking these. No need to call us uneducated and nonaffluent. I take offense to that as most people would consider me a very intelligent man.

Here's the thing, you said, and I quote, "Even at an interpretive level these don't make sense," you even used a Turtle as Jaws analogy in an attempt to convey your message, and that post was so graciously thanked by a few people. If you take offense to my post, that's on you because I literally had to tell you how these posters were connected to the movie.

Even at an interpretive level these don't make sense, unless the artists had never seen the movies at all. If I can't identify an element from the movie in the poster, it stops being a movie poster and simply become an art piece. I can't go draw an image of a turtle and call it a jaws poster.

Last edited: