Saga [Image]

tridon

Est. 2011
Dec 5, 2011
Thunder Bay
Welcome to the brilliantly obscure world of SAGA
Saga.jpg

Saga is an epic space opera/fantasy comic book series created by writer Brian K. Vaughan and artist Fiona Staples, published monthly by Image Comics. The series is heavily influenced by Star Wars, and based on ideas Vaughan conceived both as a child and as a parent. It depicts two lovers from long-warring extraterrestrial races, Alana and Marko, fleeing authorities from both sides of a galactic war as they struggle to care for their newborn daughter, Hazel, who occasionally narrates the series. The book was described in solicitations as "Star Wars meets A Game of Thrones," and by critics as being evocative of both science fiction and fantasy epics such as The Lord of the Rings and classic works like Romeo & Juliet,[1][2][3] It is Vaughan's first creator-owned work to be published through Image Comics, and represents the first time he employs narration in his comics writing. The series' first issue was published on March 14, 2012, to positive reviews and a sold-out first printing. The first six-issue story arc was widely acclaimed, and was published in trade paperback form in October 2012.

GIFTsaga.jpg
imagesCAMAFPHE.jpg
Screen-Shot-2012-06-20-at-2_23_18-PM.png

For more information on SAGA, visit its Wikipedia or the Web site of Fiona Staples. To pre-order the TPB for Volume 1, go here.

Attachments

• images (1).jpg
    images (1).jpg
    3.4 KB · Views: 223
Last edited by a moderator:
Vaughan is definitely outdoing himself with Saga. I think I might like it more than Y: The Last Man and Ex Machina combined (and I really liked Ex Machina). Staples' is amazing.

Everyone digging Saga should check out Vaughan's other creator owned comic, The Private Eye. It's not as good as Saga, but it's still pretty f-ing great. Digital only though.

Reactions: tridon
Vaughan is definitely outdoing himself with Saga. I think I might like it more than Y: The Last Man and Ex Machina combined (and I really liked Ex Machina). Staples' is amazing.

Everyone digging Saga should check out Vaughan's other creator owned comic, The Private Eye. It's not as good as Saga, but it's still pretty f-ing great. Digital only though.

Hey, welcome to HDN. Great to have another comic-fan around here.

I agree with you; Saga is probably BKV's best work ever. Before this, Y: The Last Man was my favourite comic of all time, but I think it's gonna be Saga (if it's not already) real soon.

Ex Machina -- I read the first trade and it just never clicked with me. I may give it another shot one day, but that's always been my least favourite of his work.

The Private Eye is really good, too. I've only read the first issue so far, but I have them all downloaded. Then again, you can never go wrong with Marcos Martin art. :thumbs:

tridon: Thanks for the warm welcome.

I agree about Ex Machina. I had to reread the first three or four collections a few times before I really got into it. But once I did I found I liked it more than Y (which I quite like). The sci-fi portions of the story are really creepy and great.

And yeh, Marcos Martin is a monster. Muntsa Vicente's colors are amazing as well (she's also coloring Javier Pulido's issues of She-Hulk). We're only halfway there but I hope the three of them do something else for Panel Syndicate after The Private Eye has finished.

I finally had the chance to sit down and read issue #19.
That last page made me super-sad. "This is the story of how my parents split up." :(

It's going to take some time getting used to the jump in years, too. I'll miss baby Hazel, though toddler Hazel seems like she may have some funny one-liners. :p

Read issue 20 last week. I'm liking Alana and Marko's domestic situation, although something tells me it won't last long. Digging the new characters being introduced. Issue 21 can't come out fast enough.

• Thanks