Spirited Away by Hayao Miyazaki Theatrical Production

mllNY

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Premium Supporter
Aug 29, 2011
New York, NY
This didn't really fit anywhere but any members based in Japan may be interested in this!

Toho Co., Ltd. is delighted to announce the world premiere of a new theatrical production based on Studio Ghibli’s Oscar-winning film SPIRITED AWAY (original title: Sen to Chihiro no Kamikakushi). This production will be the first ever stage adaptation of the 2001 animated masterpiece by Hayao Miyazaki which became a massive box office hit in Japan and earned worldwide acclaim including Academy Award for Best Animated Feature of 2002. The Tony and Olivier Award-winning director and Honorary Associate Director of the Royal Shakespeare Company, John Caird (Les Misérables, Nicholas Nickleby, Daddy Long Legs), who has been an admirer of the film for years will write and direct the stage adaptation.

Chihiro, the heroine of the story, is a 10-year-old girl moving with her parents to their new home. They lose themselves in a mysterious world of fantastic spirits, ruled over by the sorceress Yubaba, who turns Chihiro’s parents into pigs. After a series of bizarre and dangerous challenges, including the loss of her identity, Chihiro must use all her wits to survive in this strange place and return to the human world. The story of her struggle and resilience is a timeless gift to all of us, but especially to those striving to live through these present difficult times.

“I feel so excited and privileged to be working on the first ever stage adaptation of Sen to Chihiro. I have for many years now regarded Miyazaki Hayao as one of the pre-eminent geniuses of world cinema and the greatest ever proponent of the anime form.

I share a belief in all the most dominant themes of Miyazaki's work, themes that are at the core of the Sen to Chihiro world - care for the environment, reverence for nature, a belief in the force of the good spirits within us and the empowerment of young women and men to change the world for the better.

I am looking forward with great pleasure to deepening my partnership with my dear friends at Toho through a new relationship with Studio Ghibli and Suzuki Toshi0, their most generous and inventive lead producer.

The double casting in the part of Chihiro will give me the chance to work again with the brilliant and charming Kamishiraishi Mone, with whom I had such an exciting collaboration on Knights’ Tale, and now affords me the same opportunity with the greatly talented, vivacious and moving young actress Hashimoto Kanna.

I must have spent a thousand hours working on Sen to Chihiro and look forward to spending many thousands more.” said John Caird.

“We, Hayao and I, both liked John’s vision. He is a person we can trust. I am looking forward to seeing Chihiro grow on stage under his direction,” said Studio Ghibli’s Toshio Suzuki, the film producer of SPIRITED AWAY. “I could tell how much he adores this story from his delighted face when I gave him a No-Face (Kaonashi) piggy-bank.”

Chihiro will be double-cast by Kanna Hashimoto and Mone Kamishiraishi. Kanna, who has starred and appeared in many films, will be making her long-awaited stage debut. Mone, known internationally for voicing in the film ‘Your Name’, has been delighting Japanese audiences with her versatile acting and singing talents.

SPIRITED AWAY will be presented at Toho’s Imperial Theatre located at 3-1-1 Marunouchi, Chiyoda-ku, Tokyo from February through March, 2022. The production will then tour to Osaka (April), Fukuoka (May), Sapporo (June), Nagoya (June and July).

Reactions: Billy Talent
The highly anticipated adapted stage performance from the film “SPIRITED AWAY” was brought to life at the Imperial Theater in Tokyo, bringing in a full house of attendees. This timeless masterpiece was recreated by the director of Les Misérables, John Caird, who brought iconic scenes to the stage with amazing performances with 32 performers and over 50 puppets designed by Toby Olié. The production is now set to tour four additional cities in Japan: Osaka, Fukuoka, Sapporo and Nagoya:

· April 13-24, 2022 at Umeda Arts Theater (Osaka)
· May 1-28, 2022 at Hakataza Theater (Fukuoka)
· June 6-12, 2022 at Sapporo Cultural Arts Theater hitaru (Sapporo)
· June 22-July 4, 2022 at Misonoza Theater (Nagoya)

Turning “SPIRITED AWAY” into a theatrical production was achieved through the acclaimed performances of Kanna Hashimoto and Mone Kamishiraishi both playing the same lead role as Chihiro. Similarly, Mari Natsuki, derived from the original film, and Romi Park, are double-casted as Yubaba, the sorceress who play as many as five performers. Koharu Sugawara and Tomohiko Tsujimoto, who are double-cast as No Face (Kaonashi), play the role with solely body movement until No Face runs wild and the character is magnificently represented by as many as 12 performers. In an iconic scene, Kamaji's arms span 19-feet long and are beautifully performed by as many as six actors.

Due to Covid-19 restraints, all rehearsals were conducted remotely at Toho Studios, which was developed for film shooting. With impressive set design by Jon Bausor, expressive performances and live orchestra for beautiful original scoring by Joe Hisaishi with orchestration by Brad Haak and Conor Keelan, the stage production earned both commercially and critically acclaimed success as the performances have been well-received and is continuing to run with incredible excitement.

“SPIRITED AWAY” is a timeless masterpiece by director Hayao Miyazaki and has enjoyed worldwide success since its release in 2001, subsequently winning the Academy Award® for Best Animated Feature. The blockbuster film has been applauded as a spirited masterpiece full of magical moments, immersive characters and brilliant storytelling by critics and fans around the world.

☆25A_0361.JPG☆27A_0105.JPG☆N_0235+.jpg★HE_0736kanna.JPG
★26A_0135mone_miurahiroki.JPG25B_0017mone_oshirasama.JPG27A_0593mone_tsujimoto.JPG25A_0019mone_hashimotosatoshi.JPG
All above photos used with permission; (c) Toho Co., Ltd.

aEyKqyqY1GYeh1fKo4W3wOL1S-Jx-4fHMs_oVO76LtJ-LHLTeNkfzrE2a9uJd4YPpZ-jXMPPfBbUiydYNiQuzQ1RUHatK7D_PqRWcZXguczEYWw8W-gmtpaeBBr_Nq77IXGPZBe-m5vKHiFO_lqEBYGn=s0-d-e1-ft

GKIDS, the acclaimed producer and distributor of animation for adult and family audiences, announced that it has acquired the North American audiovisual distribution rights for SPIRITED AWAY: Live On Stage, filmed during the hit production’s 2022 run at the historic Imperial Theatre in Tokyo, Japan. The stage play is based on Hayao Miyazaki’s Academy Award®-winning animated feature and is adapted and directed for the stage by Tony Award®-winner John Caird, Honorary Associate Director of the Royal Shakespeare Company, who gained international acclaim for adapting and directing the world premiere of the landmark production Les Misérables.

GKIDS will release two separate filmed performances of the production, starring Kanna Hashimoto and Mone Kamishiraishi, double-cast as the lead heroine Chihiro. Character actor Mari Natsuki, who voiced the sorceress Yubaba and her twin sister Zeniba in the original motion picture, returns to her original role, accompanied by voice actor Romi Park. They are accompanied by a star-studded cast of Japan’s finest actors.

SPIRITED AWAY: Live On Stage was created in association with Studio Ghibli, and presented by Toho Co., Ltd. The deal was negotiated between GKIDS and Toho.

GKIDS will release the stage production theatrically in spring 2023.

“We are thrilled to offer this unique opportunity for Studio Ghibli fans in America to experience the stage production that wowed Japanese press and audiences last year,” said GKIDS’ President David Jesteadt. “This imaginative stage adaptation by the legendary John Caird, featuring two wonderful performances by lead actors Kanna Hashimoto and Mone Kamishiraishi, helps bring to life one of the greatest films of all time in a dazzling new way.”

Original production of Spirited Away presented at Imperial Theatre in 2022

Based on Spirited Away directed by Hayao Miyazaki​
Adapted and Directed by John Caird
Co-adapted by Maoko Imai
Original Score by Joe Hisaishi
Musical Supervision, Orchestrations and Arrangements by Brad Haak
Associate Music Supervision, Orchestrations and Ableton Programming by Conor Keelan
Set Designer Jon Bausor
Puppetry Design and Direction Toby Olié
Choreographer/Staging Shigehiro Ide
Lighting Designer Jiro Katsushiba
Sound Designer Koichi Yamamoto
Costume Designer Sachiko Nakahara
Hair and Make Up Designer Hiroaki Miyauchi
Projection Designer Satoshi Kuriyama
Music Director/Conductor Erika Fukasawa
Stage Manager Takashi Hojo
Supporting Director Maoko Imai
Assistant Directors Makoto Nagai/Ryusei Onuki
Producer Haruka Ogi
In association with Studio Ghibli
Presented by Toho Co., Ltd.

Cast​
Chihiro: Kanna Hashimoto/Mone Kamishiraishi
Haku: Kotaro Daigo /Hiroki Miura
No Face: Koharu Sugawara/Tomohiko Tsujimoto
Lin/Chihiro’s Mother: Miyu Sakihi/Fu Hinami
Kamaji: Tomorowo Taguchi/Satoshi Hashimoto
Yubaba/Zeniba: Mari Natsuki/Romi Park
Aniyaku/Chihiro’s Father: Kenya Osumi
Chichiyaku: Sunao Yoshimura
Aogaeru: Obata no Oniisan

Introduction and Synopsis

Hayao Miyazaki’s Academy Award®-winning animated feature film comes to life in this first-ever stage adaptation, full of dazzling sets, captivating musical numbers, and wondrous puppets of beloved characters. Adapted and directed by Tony Award®-winner John Caird (Les Misérables), two unique casts and performances were filmed during the show’s acclaimed 2022 run at Tokyo’s historic Imperial Theatre, featuring Kanna Hashimoto and Mone Kamishiraishi as Chihiro.

While traveling to their new home, Chihiro and her family stumble into a world of fantastic spirits ruled over by the sorceress Yubaba. When her parents are turned into pigs and she is put to work in a magical bathhouse, Chihiro must use her wits to survive in this strange new place, find a way to free her parents, and return to the normal world.​

Reactions: Billy Talent