Star Wars: Episode V - The Empire Strikes Back (4K+2D Blu-ray SteelBook) (Zavvi Exclusive) [UK]

Noodles

Super Moderator
Premium Supporter
Feb 28, 2011
UK
Release date: August 3, 2020
Purchase link: Zavvi (Pre-order on May 21, around 9 AM for Red Carpet , at 12 PM general sale - UK time)
Price: £29.99
Note: 3 discs

12584863-1924769381743461.jpg

12584863-1244769382074100.jpg 12584863-1434769381918943.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Still waiting for my copy, the empty replacement will probably arrive before this , would not surprise me if they have this back in stock soon with returns and anyone who wants replacement etc will get the same ones back lol.
Weird how two others of the set have arrived but this one aint yet.
Totally weird, I even got my fifth element today but not this...

I've come around to at least understanding the Zavvi decision on the front artwork. In terms of palette, the Zavvi ESB artwork matches the palettes of a new hope and jedi. The magnetic covers I'm seeing have way too much color and don't mesh with the rest of the OT. I realize it's blasphemy but I can't say anymore that Zavvi made the wrong call on this.

I've come around to at least understanding the Zavvi decision on the front artwork. In terms of palette, the Zavvi ESB artwork matches the palettes of a new hope and jedi. The magnetic covers I'm seeing have way too much color and don't mesh with the rest of the OT. I realize it's blasphemy but I can't say anymore that Zavvi made the wrong call on this.

I agree with there being too much colour on the Lando version of the poster. If they could have used the original poster without Lando, which has less colour, it would have fit in nicely. Colour wise, Vader's head blends in better here than the colour magnets.

814Cbv8EftL._AC_SL1200_.jpg

Reactions: Bar81
Zavvi don't do any artwork design on steelbooks
Artwork design decision was Disney

Zavvi are just a retailer that sell products offered to them to sell from various distributors with some been offered as a retailer exclusive

All artwork design is done by film studio/distributor
A retailer may suggest some existing artwork but the final decision is done by film studio

I agree with there being too much colour on the Lando version of the poster. If they could have used the original poster without Lando, which has less colour, it would have fit in nicely. Colour wise, Vader's head blends in better here than the colour magnets.

View attachment 484128

Thanks. Agree that this works a lot better than the current magnets but there's so little color in the other two OT SBs that even this one is probably still too colorful. Out of all the ESB movie posters I think they picked the one that best matched the color palette of the other two despite not matching the style.

Reactions: Stygian
Zavvi don't do any artwork design on steelbooks
Artwork design decision was Disney

Zavvi are just a retailer that sell products offered to them to sell from various distributors with some been offered as a retailer exclusive

All artwork design is done by film studio/distributor
A retailer may suggest some existing artwork but the final decision is done by film studio

I get it. Zavvi was just shorthand.

Reactions: paulboland
Thanks. Agree that this works a lot better than the current magnets but there's so little color in the other two OT SBs that even this one is probably still too colorful. Out of all the ESB movie posters I think they picked the one that best matched the color palette of the other two despite not matching the style.

I stand corrected. I think your suggestion would have worked pretty well now that I mocked it up with the other two and can compare. Strange that they didn't use it then.

Reactions: Stygian

View attachment 484128

Really rough mockup of the OT with the above art:

Star Wars Set OT Mockup.jpg

Looks really nice. Not even sure using that logo for Empire (versus the logo of the other two with the big "Star Wars") looks bad - kind of does a nice job centering the composition and putting the focus on the best movie.

Now mockup with the quadrilogy - this is where the non-conforming ESB logo works really well:

Star Wars Set OT Extended Mockup.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: DMD4k and Stygian
IMO, RoTJ is far more saturated than ANH. It breaks my heart that it has spine slash, and thus must be returned. Least favorite OT movie, but the best steelbook.

IMO, RoTJ is far more saturated than ANH. It breaks my heart that it has spine slash, and thus must be returned. Least favorite OT movie, but the best steelbook.

That presence of color in Jedi is what I didn't process at first but noticed after taking a more recent critical second look - it was the cartoon colors in the ESB Lando magnetic cover that was making Jedi seem less colorful than it actually is.

Once I put that all together and with the helpful poster art supplied above, I prepared the very rough new ESB art mockup and it looks fantastic.

Too bad ESB is being reprinted as is since the inside and back are otherwise excellent - it would be the perfect opportunity to revisit the earlier art decision for ESB which, while it works, is far from ideal.

Well after not waiting for this any longer coz I thought it got lost in the mail it arrived out of the blue today! Lol a month and a week after....and yeah same damage as pretty much every body...funny thing is I just told zavvi about getting a replacement...a total mess...as for the Steelbook it’s not that bad in person but I get it that is not uniformed with the rest of the saga.

• Wow
Reactions: Noodles