Terminator 2: Judgment Day (4K+2D Blu-ray SteelBook) (Zavvi Exclusive) [UK]

Thought originally that this would be a new release as appearing in not one but two territories but as showing sold out in both (UK and Germany) in about a day I'm presuming the steels are from the same batch.

Naturally would be disappointed if it's a KINGSMAN situation for example and despite the images in the OP we get something different - in which case I'd be compelled to post a juicy gift to the relevant person:-
1567206415667.png

lets be honest, this is not original design. its the same art that has been used since the original release on VHS in what, 1991?

its laughable and frankly embarrassing that people claim ownership to an artwork when all they have done is added an embossing effect and a corny glow in the dark treatment.

release the steel as planned please. the studio/publishers own the art.

the terms WEA, exclusive, limited edition, collectable etc are all marketing gimmicks for the foolish. just release it and I will buy it. I don't care if there are 700,000,000,00 copies on the market, I just want one.

This ^

Which is why I love some PA steels where the closest to the term is using artists illustrated art for steels like the master, zero dark thirty, a most wanted man, oldboy etc that are genuine wea and not original movie posters. Mondo too. Tbh, the majority of illustrated steelbooks are as they were not original poster art (and I don’t mean Paul shipper or Drew Struzan as they were used as original posters). Even stuff like the new John wick steel counts (as much as people don’t like it)

Others just use normal poster art and maybe move the title and then claim WEA lol. It’s always made me chuckle but I still use the wwa/wea terms to differentiate the releases if there are multiple releases of the same film or a non worldwide release

lets be honest, this is not original design. its the same art that has been used since the original release on VHS in what, 1991?

its laughable and frankly embarrassing that people claim ownership to an artwork when all they have done is added an embossing effect and a corny glow in the dark treatment.

the terms WEA, exclusive, limited edition, collectable etc are all marketing gimmicks for the foolish. just release it and I will buy it. I don't care if there are 700,000,000,00 copies on the market, I just want one.

best comment of this entire thread

hlUkLVX.gif

• Haha
Reactions: djjez83

Absolutely, in the most cases WEA make no sense, because the artworks are not new or exkusive. For example with the HDZeta Gladiator Steelbook, they use the 2009er new helmet artwork (that was also used for the Australian Steelcase and the British Steelbook), and for the back they used the new coverartwork for the 10th Anniversary Editlon, which both are already existing and well known artworks.

Here, Filmarena only uses the famous and loved poster artwork and a famous still. Kinowelt (Studicanal in Germany) has been using both for their DVD since for 15 years!

I hope Studiocanal still releases this Steelbook with this exact artwork and embossing. Maybe they could change the finish, (matt finish with vibrant metallic effects, without the glow in the dark effect), and use a different artwork for the inside.

Doesn't work like that for me. The FA version of this steelbook with the 4K discs is 1199CZK whether I'm logged in or not. :dunno:

That's weird. Maybe they only give discounts to customers? Not sure if you have ever bought from their site.

Absolutely, in the most cases WEA make no sense, because the artworks are not new or exkusive. For example with the HDZeta Gladiator Steelbook, they use the 2009er new helmet artwork (that was also used for the Australian Steelcase and the British Steelbook), and for the back they used the new coverartwork for the 10th Anniversary Editlon, which both are already existing and well known artworks.

Here, Filmarena only uses the famous and loved poster artwork and a famous still. Kinowelt (Studicanal in Germany) has been using both for their DVD since for 15 years!

I hope Studiocanal still releases this Steelbook with this exact artwork and embossing. Maybe they could change the finish, (matt finish with vibrant metallic effects, without the glow in the dark effect), and use a different artwork for the inside.
With respect I don't think the actual recycling of the artwork is the issue but rather the way it's been treated on the mock-up looking identical to the FA seen here ...
1567340484510.png
1567340439555.png

... which is after all a treatment (embossing front and back + glow-in-the-dark) brainstormed by the FA team and thinking about it I'd be pretty miffed too if the new steelbook is exactly the same as one designed, created and sold not that long ago.

Maybe to avoid unnecessary fuss the newer one can be different - actually better than the FA - by dropping the gimmicky GitD and glossing it like arguably the best T2 steelbook ever released ...
1567341056345.png
1567341117288.png

... but still hopefully keeping the splendid embossing on both sides and not leaving the customer with just an embossed title - like the majority of 'embossed' steelbooks out there - instead of both title and artwork embossing.

Last edited:
Reactions: DMD4k
At the end of the day I'm more concerned at the tinkering James Cameron seems to be doing to the remastering of his films. In both Terminator 2 and Aliens I still watch my CAV laserdiscs as the blu-rays were dire and I can see both True Ties and The Abyss getting the same "George Lucas" treatment.
I've given up hope of ever seeing proper HD masters of any of these films.

So is it true that the blu-ray disc in this is Region "B"? I ask because I believe I read previously that the blu-ray discs in the FilmArena release were Region Free.

I have the Novamedia steelbook and the FilmArena steelbook and I always thought the blu-ray discs are region free but now I'm not sure.
Anybody know the formats of the blu-ray discs in all 3 releases?

Thanks.

So is it true that the blu-ray disc in this is Region "B"? I ask because I believe I read previously that the blu-ray discs in the FilmArena release were Region Free.

I have the Novamedia steelbook and the FilmArena steelbook and I always thought the blu-ray discs are region free but now I'm not sure.
Anybody know the formats of the blu-ray discs in all 3 releases?

Thanks.
Blu-ray Discs that was in FilmArena release has nothing to do with UK Release
The Czech discs in FAC release not the same as UK Blu-ray Discs
FilmArena FAC release had 2 Blu-ray discs done totally different to UK

UK
StudioCanal
2D Blu-ray and 3D Blu-ray discs is Region B locked and is using 4K scan remaster of theatrical cut

2D Blu-ray has all 3 cuts of the film using seamless branching

4K UHD disc is region free as are all UHD discs

FilimArena Discs in E1
Disc 1 4K UHD (4K UHD movie theatrical cut (137min.)
Disc 2 Blu-ray (2D digitally restored theatrical cut (137min + Extras)
Disc 3 Blu-ray (2D originally mastered Ultimate Cut (156 min aka The Extended Cut)
FAC release does not have Special Edition Cut 153 min
4K UHD has 4K scan remaster

StudioCanal UK release
4K scan remastered transfers of Theatrical cut
Disc 1 4K UHD (Theatrical cut 137 min)
Disc 2 Blu-ray Theatrical cut with seamless branching option of Special Edition Cut 153 min and Extended Cut 156 min + Extras
Theatrical cut 4K scan remastered

South Korea
NovaMedia Steelbook from 2016
(Note does not have 4K scan remastered transfer as that was released in 2017 )
Blu-ray disc is Region Free even though is marked as Region A
2 cuts of the film
Theatrical cut (136:35) and the Special Edition cut (153:26)
Does not have Extended Cut 156 min also known as Ultimate Cut

Blu-ray Discs that was in FilmArena release has nothing to do with UK Release
The Czech discs in FAC release not the same as UK Blu-ray Discs
FilmArena FAC release had 2 Blu-ray discs done totally different to UK

UK
StudioCanal
2D Blu-ray and 3D Blu-ray discs is Region B locked and is using 4K scan remaster of theatrical cut

2D Blu-ray has all 3 cuts of the film using seamless branching

4K UHD disc is region free as are all UHD discs

FilimArena Discs in E1
Disc 1 4K UHD (4K UHD movie theatrical cut (137min.)
Disc 2 Blu-ray (2D digitally restored theatrical cut (137min + Extras)
Disc 3 Blu-ray (2D originally mastered Ultimate Cut (156 min aka The Extended Cut)
FAC release does not have Special Edition Cut 153 min
4K UHD has 4K scan remaster

StudioCanal UK release
4K scan remastered transfers of Theatrical cut
Disc 1 4K UHD (Theatrical cut 137 min)
Disc 2 Blu-ray Theatrical cut with seamless branching option of Special Edition Cut 153 min and Extended Cut 156 min + Extras
Theatrical cut 4K scan remastered

South Korea
NovaMedia Steelbook from 2016
(Note does not have 4K scan remastered transfer as that was released in 2017 )
Blu-ray disc is Region Free even though is marked as Region A
2 cuts of the film
Theatrical cut (136:35) and the Special Edition cut (153:26)
Does not have Extended Cut 156 min also known as Ultimate Cut

Thank you Paul! :thumbs: That is a fantastic breakdown of all 3 editions.

So NovaMedia is region free. Zavvi StudioCanal is Region B. Do you know if the blu-ray discs in the FimArena release are region free?

Thank you Paul! :thumbs: That is a fantastic breakdown of all 3 editions.

So NovaMedia is region free. Zavvi StudioCanal is Region B. Do you know if the blu-ray discs in the FimArena release are region free?
StudioCanal Terminator 2
The 2D and 3D Blu-ray discs released in UK/Germany/France Blu-ray discs are Region B Locked
Region coding nothing to do with Zavvi

FilmArena FAC steelbook releases film and extras the content is from StudioCanal but discs are from a czech distributor Bontonfilm who authored the Blu-ray discs for the FAC releases
These FAC Blu-ray discs from Bontonfilm are different to StudioCanal trade wide Europe release 2D and 3D Blu-ray Discs released in December 2017.
The UHD and 2D and 3D discs done by Bontonfilm have the 4K scan remastered theatrical cut

Terminator 2 FAC Steelbooks the 2D and 3D Blu-ray Discs from Bontonfilm are Region Free.

• Thanks
  • Informative
Reactions: Stygian and DMD4k
German is 3 disc set, right? Zavvi only 2 discs?
UK is 2 discs
4K UHD
Blu-ray

JPC website in Germany list german steelbook as 4K/3D/2D release (3 Discs) but not sure yet if that correct

Amazon Germany listing don't mention 3D is included
Amazon Germany website has listed
Terminator 2 / Limited Edition (4K Ultra HD)

Amazon Germany though it is listed as Terminator 2 / Limited 3-Disc Steelbook Edition (4K Ultra HD) [Blu-ray] in purchase history if you pre ordered from them and when you get to checkout but no mention of 3D
Still no artwork showing yet on Amazon Germany
Screenshot (164).png

JPC Germany

UK is 2 discs
4K UHD
Blu-ray

JPC website in Germany list german steelbook as 4K/3D/2D release (3 Discs) but not sure yet if that correct

Amazon Germany listing don't mention 3D is included or list how many discs
Amazon Germany website has listed
Terminator 2 / Limited Edition (4K Ultra HD)

Amazon Germany though it is listed as Terminator 2 / Limited 3-Disc Steelbook Edition (4K Ultra HD) [Blu-ray] in purchase history if you pre ordered from them and when you get to checkout
Still no artwork showing yet on Amazon Germany
View attachment 448119

JPC Germany
Thanks for info :)

Reactions: paulboland