The "Considering upgrading" & /4K Owners thread

digitalbabe

Premium Supporter
Apr 12, 2009
USA
Feel free to ask questions or chat about any new 4K equipment you've purchased here.

Attachments

• uhd1.jpg
    uhd1.jpg
    485.3 KB · Views: 524
Last edited:
I ha to bite the bullet two years go when I stumped up £3,000 for my 55" Bravia 3D LED, but don't think I would ever pay more than maybe £4,000 for a TV, no matter how great it may be.

I'm really liking Sony's new 4K flagship X9 series though:

http://www.sony.co.uk/product/tv-139-55-lcd/kd-55x9005a

The 55" option comes in at a reasonable £3,299, although another ten inches will cost you a whopping £1,700 extra! The 84" model (which looks completely different) is a staggering £25,000, and has ridiculous speakers strapped on the sides which look like an afterthought

I still personally believe 4K is 10 years ahead of its time, like with most technology which Sony develops. Most of us have only just adopted LCD / LED screens, with some maybe recently having upgraded from a plasma screen to a 3D screen. We're not ready for another leap in technology so soon, and an expensive one at that!

Blu-Ray has been around for nearly eight years now, yet it is still struggling to take a significant market share away from Dvd's. Most films are only just being given the 3D treatment, with many titles still not even available on Blu-Ray at all! If and when 4K does start to take off, it will be a much slower process than it was with Blu-Ray - I certainly don't want to start replacing my Blu-Ray collection with 4K releases this soon, and I will definitely be cherry-picking titles!

One thing I am curious about is whether the PS4 and XboxOne are 4K forward compatible?

Reactions: zues and lgans316
I haven't been overly impressed thus far with 4k. If you're 6' and closer then it looks great, but how many people sit that close to their tv? When you're 10' plus back the difference is negligible. I'm sure it would be different if you can afford the 84" and up models but not many people can.

I would be in heaven if Panasonic still produced plasmas and came out with a 75" ZT60. Now that's a tv I'd drop $6-7k on in a heartbeat. :D

I've had the Sony 55" 4K since Christmas. It provides a solid picture (especially with 3D films) and an excellent audio experience, but I am desperate for true 4K content. There isn't enough contrast between this and my high definition Sony television to justify the high price tag. VERY frustrating!!!

Reactions: zues
I'm wanting some advise guys, I have my eye on the Sony x9 as I want to upgrade my tv, I've always wanted the best possible picture when watching movies, reviews say that the next gen 4k tvs upgrade the hd signal by adding in pixels? The colours are more vibrant etc...

Is this true and is the cost worth it, I'm aware that actual 4k content is minimal at the moment.

I broke down and bought a UHDTV. I would've preferred a non UHD model, but I wanted an 85-90" TV, and this was the only option since I don't care for Sharp's PQ. It will be a few weeks before it's installed because I'm still awaiting the arrival of my speakers and subs, but I'll come back and offer a review once I have time to evaluate the new set up.

I laid down in front of it to give people an idea as to how large the TV was. FYI, I'm 6'2". ;)

@MGD , @Scott7 , @darczap , @ricster , @bloodsnake007 , @earthscope , @ocielz

IMG_5795.jpg

IMG_5793.jpg

IMG_5791.jpg

Last edited: