The "Considering upgrading" & /4K Owners thread

digitalbabe

Premium Supporter
Apr 12, 2009
USA
Feel free to ask questions or chat about any new 4K equipment you've purchased here.

Attachments

• uhd1.jpg
    uhd1.jpg
    485.3 KB · Views: 524
Last edited:
Just my opinion-but I truly believe 4k is an uncomfortable temp purgatory between what most of us have now, and the next real plateau - 8k OLED.

Umm 8K is completely pointless. 95% of literally all movies existing up to this point can't even take advantage of it. 35mm film maxes out at 4k and I can't tell you a single project shot digitally in 8k. 4k is more than good enough for our eyes.

• Informative
Reactions: lolwut
Umm 8K is completely pointless. 95% of literally all movies existing up to this point can't even take advantage of it. 35mm film maxes out at 4k and I can't tell you a single project shot digitally in 8k. 4k is more than good enough for our eyes.
TOTALLY agree. I'm not even a fan of HFR. I'm fine where it sits now. But, let's face facts. There is almost zero 4k material available. There will be close to nothing broadcast 4k for a long time (even sports aren't even broadcast at 1080 yet!). The only real option is to have a super link from your home to a dedicated server which will offer you maybe -100 movies at a high cost. Content just ISN'T THERE for 4k. Nor is content being fast-tracked. OLED, on the other hand is right around the corner...

Last edited:
TOTALLY agree. I'm not even a fan of HFR. I'm fine where it sits now. But, let's face facts. There is almost zero 4k material available. There will be close to nothing broadcast 4k for a long time (even sports aren't even broadcast at 1080 yet!). The only real option is to have a super link from your home to a dedicated server which will offer you maybe -100 movies at a high cost. Content just ISN'T THERE for 4k. Nor is content being fast-tracked. OLED, on the other hand is right around the corner...
There's an ever increasing amount of 4k pron online..........driving the market as usual ;)

I'm agreeing with you...It's going to drive the market better than 3D IMO
Let's not forget the SFX Guru Douglas Trumbull is unveiling his MAGI system that captures at 120 Frames Per Second in 3D. He has alway been at the cutting edge, and I'm curious to see what that looks like and how that impacts everything else. AVATAR sequels may well shoot MAGI...

Let's not forget the SFX Guru Douglas Trumbull is unveiling his MAGI system that captures at 120 Frames Per Second in 3D. He has alway been at the cutting edge, and I'm curious to see what that looks like and how that impacts everything else. AVATAR sequels may well shoot MAGI...

Sure :thumbs:

Whilst I've been away from HDN, I have been busy. Been refitting the home cinema out and taken quite a lot of photos. Hope you like.

Transformers IMAX version upscaled to 4K

IMG_5576.JPG IMG_5581.JPG IMG_5582.JPG IMG_5583.JPG IMG_5586.JPG IMG_5588.JPG IMG_5591.JPG IMG_5592.JPG IMG_5594.JPG IMG_5595.JPG

Reactions: vurt
Man of steel has much better picture quality once the Oppo has upscaled to 4K and then the Samsung UHD Curve adds its own filtering.

IMG_5324.JPG IMG_5325.JPG IMG_5328.JPG IMG_5332.JPG IMG_5334.JPG IMG_5339.JPG IMG_5341.JPG IMG_5343.JPG IMG_5345.JPG IMG_5347.JPG

Reactions: vurt
The next set of photographs are taken from true 4K feeds from Satellite. I'm able to pick up the test transmissions in 4k UHD on the Hotbird and Astra satellites here in Europe. These are truly amazing up close and cannot wait for UHD Blu ray at Christmas 2016.

IMG_4555.JPG IMG_4559.JPG IMG_4560.JPG IMG_4561.JPG IMG_4562.JPG IMG_4563.JPG IMG_4564_2.JPG IMG_4565.JPG IMG_4575.JPG

This is my reply to upscaling 1080p to 4K. And all the experts and Video files have stated as much...

4k and 1080p Resolution Upscaling Explained
Updated Feb 25, 2014 By Cedric Demers

Upscaling is the process of converting a lower resolution to a higher one. When a high resolution TV wants to display a lower resolution, it first needs to upscale it to its native resolution. For example, a 4k TV needs to upscale a 1080p video to be able to display it on its panel.

Upscaling a video does not increase its quality. The entropy of the picture (the total information stored) is not increased, no matter how good the upscaler is. It cannot create new information or see information that isn't present in the original footage. Instead, it guesses the new pixels' values based on the surrounding pixels.
Conclusion
4k and 1080p upscaling does not improve the picture quality of the video. A 1080p video will look the same on a 1080p TV or a 4k TV. While the resolution is indeed increased by the upscaling process, the total entropy stays the same.

As good as you think it looks you cannot add what is not there in the first place...:watch:

Those picture's (on a 5K 27" iMac) look over processed and over sharpened with over saturation of colour as well..IMO

Ric buddy but you should have a White bias light behind the TV at roughly or as close as you can get to, 6500K this preserves the accurate colour perception of the images on the screen....

Using 6500K ambient lighting in a video viewing environment preserves accurate color perception of images on the screen. Another, even more precise, method of measuring an illuminant's color performance is called its 'Spectral Power Distribution' (SPD). The SPD measurements of our lamps are among the best in the industry. Industry experts recommend a CRI of 90 or better in applications where color recognition is a priority.

Last edited:
In reply, I have true 4k material and its stunning
And I totally agree on a screen that has been calibrated correctly TRUE 4K does look spectacular..

I work in film editing suits when scoring music for film and commercials using (4K monitors and Retina 5K) and I know just how good true 4K can look as long as you have everything set up correctly.

Last edited: