The Criterion Collection - The Official Blu-ray List & General discussion

digitalbabe

Premium Supporter
Apr 12, 2009
USA
Per Criterion:

"ABOUT CRITERION

OUR MISSION

Since 1984, the Criterion Collection, a continuing series of important classic and contemporary films, has been dedicated to gathering the greatest films from around the world and publishing them in editions that offer the highest technical quality and award-winning, original supplements. Over the years, as we moved from laserdisc to DVD, Blu-ray disc, and online streaming, we’ve seen a lot of things change, but one thing has remained constant: our commitment to publishing the defining moments of cinema for a wider and wider audience. The foundation of the collection is the work of such masters of cinema as Renoir, Godard, Kurosawa, Cocteau, Fellini, Bergman, Tarkovsky, Hitchcock, Fuller, Lean, Kubrick, Lang, Sturges, Dreyer, Eisenstein, Ozu, Sirk, Buñuel, Powell and Pressburger. Each film is presented uncut, in its original aspect ratio, as its maker intended it to be seen. Every time we start work on a film, we track down the best available film elements in the world, use state-of-the-art telecine equipment and a select few colorists capable of meeting our rigorous standards, then take time during the film-to-video digital transfer to create the most pristine possible image and sound. Whenever possible, we work with directors and cinematographers to ensure that the look of our releases does justice to their intentions. Our supplements enable viewers to appreciate Criterion films in context, through audio commentaries by filmmakers and scholars, restored director’s cuts, deleted scenes, documentaries, shooting scripts, early shorts, and storyboards. To date, more than 150 filmmakers have made our library of Director Approved DVDs, Blu-ray discs, and laserdiscs the most significant archive of contemporary filmmaking available to the home viewer."

Attachments

• crit2.jpg
    crit2.jpg
    18.1 KB · Views: 502
Last edited:
That's awesome mate! Congrats! I love them to death.
And great choices. I heard Speedy got an awesome remaster. The picture must be super awesome!

I received today my order from the 50 % B&N off sale. I ordered only the Del Toro Boxset. And to my surprise it arrived very fast this time and super mint since it was shipped alone in a tight thick cardboard mailer.
Good times :)

View attachment 278206
Thanks dude! I'm yet to actually watch any of them, but am very much looking forward to doing so at some point. I already have my eye on a few more titles. :D

That Del Toro set looks gorgeous! Wish they'd release it in the UK.

• Thanks
Reactions: dan8885
C6Q8um4WUAAsL8p.jpg

Stalker, Straw Dogs and Lost in America are in the works at CC office. Possible June titles...
Thanks Bertrand Bonello and reddit.

Reactions: dan8885
My only surprise is that this didn't happen a few years ago. I feel the company hasn't been on the ball for a long time compared to other vanity labels. I find the likes of Arrow, MOC and Shout factory vastly superior in terms of output and packaging. The Criterion I once loved especially back in the laserdisc discs is long gone..... I think they have been living on past glories for too long and it shows.

I just recently discovered they released one of the movies with Parker Posey, Daytrippers. Also earlier Atom Egoyan film Exotica with Sarah Polley.
Plus Ghost World and Innaritu's Amores Perros, so I'm happy with them.
There's still a good movie or two amongst all the crap.
The Big Lebowski Dude GIF by Working Title