The Criterion Collection - The Official Blu-ray List & General discussion

digitalbabe

Premium Supporter
Apr 12, 2009
USA
Per Criterion:

"ABOUT CRITERION

OUR MISSION

Since 1984, the Criterion Collection, a continuing series of important classic and contemporary films, has been dedicated to gathering the greatest films from around the world and publishing them in editions that offer the highest technical quality and award-winning, original supplements. Over the years, as we moved from laserdisc to DVD, Blu-ray disc, and online streaming, we’ve seen a lot of things change, but one thing has remained constant: our commitment to publishing the defining moments of cinema for a wider and wider audience. The foundation of the collection is the work of such masters of cinema as Renoir, Godard, Kurosawa, Cocteau, Fellini, Bergman, Tarkovsky, Hitchcock, Fuller, Lean, Kubrick, Lang, Sturges, Dreyer, Eisenstein, Ozu, Sirk, Buñuel, Powell and Pressburger. Each film is presented uncut, in its original aspect ratio, as its maker intended it to be seen. Every time we start work on a film, we track down the best available film elements in the world, use state-of-the-art telecine equipment and a select few colorists capable of meeting our rigorous standards, then take time during the film-to-video digital transfer to create the most pristine possible image and sound. Whenever possible, we work with directors and cinematographers to ensure that the look of our releases does justice to their intentions. Our supplements enable viewers to appreciate Criterion films in context, through audio commentaries by filmmakers and scholars, restored director’s cuts, deleted scenes, documentaries, shooting scripts, early shorts, and storyboards. To date, more than 150 filmmakers have made our library of Director Approved DVDs, Blu-ray discs, and laserdiscs the most significant archive of contemporary filmmaking available to the home viewer."

Attachments

• crit2.jpg
    crit2.jpg
    18.1 KB · Views: 502
Last edited:
Didn`t wanna open up another thread but it`s great to see the Criterion sub forum here :oohyeah::oohyeah:
can we have a similar sub forum for the Masters of Cinema line? like the idea of doing a seperate topic for every title.
One last thing: I was wondering if it was possible to have a kind of "Criterion slow chat" sticky topic?

Reactions: digitalbabe
Didn`t wanna open up another thread but it`s great to see the Criterion sub forum here :oohyeah::oohyeah:
can we have a similar sub forum for the Masters of Cinema line? like the idea of doing a seperate topic for every title.
One last thing: I was wondering if it was possible to have a kind of "Criterion slow chat" sticky topic?

Only been here five mintues and he's wanting changes :p

I agree about the MOC sticky;)

The Criterion Collection - The Official Thread

Ok, so apparently there isn`t a thread like this on the forum so here we go :D
This is the thread to chat about anything that has to do with the Criterion Collection: newly announced titles, upcoming titles, chat about collections, favorites and anything else that has to do with the Wacky C

Let`s go:naughty::naughty::naughty:

-edit- and is it maybe possible, and a good idea, to make this thread a sticky as well??

Attachments

• criterion_logo.jpg
    criterion_logo.jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 327
Last edited by a moderator:
Criterion posted on their facebook that in just over a week the June titles will be announced and asked what the people would like to see.

I put down: Godard`s Week-End, a blu-ray re-release of La Grande Illusion and Brand Upon The Brain!
What would you like to be released?

i have a question about Criterion, why is it that they have released titles in the past but never seem to release them again in other formats. Example: Halloween (1978) was released on Laser disc by Criterion many moons ago but has never gotten the golden treatment again on DVD or BD (so far). why is that? Criterion has done so for titles like 'Fear and Loathing in las Vegas' and 'Dazed and Confused' both of which have starded DVD and BD releases along with thier Criterion DVD & BD counterparts. so what gives?

From the newsletter:

wackydog.jpg

And also:

Napoleon Restored!
We’ve always wanted to release a definitive edition of Abel Gance’s silent masterpiece Napoleon. And we hope to one day, but it’s a project of enormous complexity. American audiences will finally have a chance to see the epic film in its fullest form this month at the Paramount Theatre in Oakland, California. Restorer extraordinaire Kevin Brownlow has had a lifelong passion for Napoleon, hours of which were cut after its 1927 premiere. He’s been gradually reconstructing it for decades. The first unveiling in the U.S. of the results of his Herculean effort took place at the Telluride Film Festival in 1979. In the ensuing years, Brownlow unearthed and added another hour-plus of footage. The screenings at the Paramount—on March 24, 25, and 31 and April 1—will be of the most complete version ever seen in the U.S., at five and a half hours, and will feature the premiere live performance in this country of composer Carl Davis’s original score.

I really do hope they`ll release it some time,maybe even on blu!

Yup it is :D

Announcements for the June releases:

56_BD_box_348x490.jpg
615_BD_box_384x490.jpg

617_BD_box_348x490.jpg
618_BD_box_348x490.jpg

616_BD_box_348x490.jpg

Beautiful covers for The 39 Steps and especially for The Gold Rush!!
Great month overall, title wise. Both of the above are instant buys and looking forward to delving into the Soderbergh and Doyle films that I haven`t seen yet.
Finally, finally another good month as so far there hasn`t been a great month this year in my book.

-edit- make that a GREAT month if they`ll release the Samurai trilogy on blu as well.

Looking forward to picking up A Night to Remember (use to watch it a lot when i was growing up)