The Do's and Don'ts of Framing Prints

Wreck

Is Here To Serve
Staff Member
Jan 26, 2009
USA
While this thread title sounds so informative ... I'm really seeking out information actually. :hilarious: But hopefully over time it can be edited and become a great resource.

Last edited:
Reactions: jcm
I bought JC Richards' Total Recall print (turns out from @roseart - thank you so much for everything - price, delivery speed, the fact it was PRISTINE out the tube) - any way, gushing aside I'm obviously going to be wanting to get a frame larger than 24"x36" so I can mount right?

I've read through the thread, bit lost here and there, but did we decide that the quality of the frame doesn't matter an extraordinary amount if you keep the print off the glass and use acid free backing? I live in London so I suppose the option of getting it done professionally is there, just, I imagine it's more money than one might necessarily need to spend doing it customwise?

Reactions: roseart
Correct. Doing it professionally can be very expensive. If you use mat or double mat (make it look really good) then acid free foam core backing you'll be pretty good to go then afterwards. Just add frame you want to spend on. There is also 2 diff glass options like UV and/or museum glass. The latter being very expensive. UV is good iif its gonna be in a room you have the light on a lot and/or its in the way of a window with sun.

Me personally I go cheap on glass as my stuff is in a basement so I need not worry about light or sun.

not sure if arttoframe.com is global shipper but might want to check. if looking to save then a lot of times online "do it yourself" places to order supplies from are best bet.

I now put my stuff in frames depending on how much the art means to me and/or how much is that piece valued at. So for instance my Tyler Stouts are well taken care of. But in my experience im not afraid to put stuff in the cheapest of cheap frames until I reach that point in the year im willing to spend big on framing (usually a sale a local framer is having, "Michaels") So right now I have Stout GOTG in cheap walmart frame to keep flat and protected, but the one thing I do is put an acid free foam backing on. ($5 bucks from Michaels) Of course plan is to frame it awesomely at some point.

I was given A New Hope movie poster by my cousin that he picked up somewhere, not sure of authenticity but whats a good way to mount it, has a tear across it so can't be considered mint.

I mean you could go into a Michael's and get a cheapish frame and then get the edge holders probably not much more than $30 total.

Is it a regular poster or is it a nicer print like the Matt Taylor Star Wars print given out at the Alamo Drafthouse. Hard to gauge what to tell you

Is there any tips about framing this Star Wars poster? My cousin gave it to me a few years back and ir is abused, but still looks like a real movie poster.

WgWbBFY.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey Mates.
I'm looking forward to start Framing (1 of my 2 Prints :p)
My Choice is between 2 Frames and i really don't know what will look better. So if anyone has experience with this please help me.
I want the "Halbe 8" and he has 2 Edition. With "Distance" and without "Distance" Links are in the Spoiler.

Anybody got an Idea? @dan8885 @martinouchou @mllNY @Wreck

• Thanks
Reactions: dan8885
Hey Mates.
I'm looking forward to start Framing (1 of my 2 Prints :p)
My Choice is between 2 Frames and i really don't know what will look better. So if anyone has experience with this please help me.
I want the "Halbe 8" and he has 2 Edition. With "Distance" and without "Distance" Links are in the Spoiler.

Anybody got an Idea? @dan8885 @martinouchou @mllNY @Wreck

You should post the print that you want to frame.

I don't like the frames with distance. So for me this would be no option.

I have a print of a Predator and it’s still in its protective tube and I’ve had it for years and want to frame it, will it hurt it if it’s pressed against the glass. I don’t know anything when it comes to framing prints. Can anyone help me out please.

OK tried that Frame Destination place and the price came out to $75. I DON"T THINK SO! I'll just put it in a regular ole' frame, it's not gonna hurt it. It'll be protected behind the glass and out of the light so no worries.
Didn't the EB framing thread help with info on framing stuff yourself?

Cheers Mate :thumbs: Some great info on there.
It's not just a great site for finding prints (and finding out their value) - you can log all your posters to keep track of them. (Not unlike a CLZ collection app, or BR.com's MY MOVIES app- except it's on the site instead of a standalone app).:thumbs:
1DE34C59-B79C-4BDD-96F9-2B1D1B64CC17.jpeg

• Informative
Reactions: Robles
It's not just a great site for finding prints (and finding out their value) - you can log all your posters to keep track of them. (Not unlike a CLZ collection app, or BR.com's MY MOVIES app- except it's on the site instead of a standalone app).:thumbs:
Log all my prints really??? All my 1 prints. I just have the one that was given to me and I'm at the point now where I'm ready to just give it to someone else because paying that much for just a frame and glass is not ideal in my book. I have one picked out on Amazon with just the frame, glass and backing and it's $35 and I'm holding off on it because I'm not ready to pay even that much for one.

Log all my prints really??? All my 1 prints. I just have the one that was given to me and I'm at the point now where I'm ready to just give it to someone else because paying that much for just a frame and glass is not ideal in my book. I have one picked out on Amazon with just the frame, glass and backing and it's $35 and I'm holding off on it because I'm not ready to pay even that much for one.
A basic frame 24x36 will be about that price.

Reactions: Lone Crusader
@Savage Clown

One bit of advice before you begin framing, since you mention it's been in a tube for a while you should take it out, let it breath for a few days then try to flatten it, the best route would be to cut an acid free foam cores from Michael's and sandwich the print in between it and let it flatten for a few weeks.

There are so many ways to go with framing and it really depends how much you want spend and how much you want to preserve the print. You can spend not a lot of money to hundreds of dollars on framing. Personally I've only ever framed my pieces professionally, I've used the bigger box stores cause independant framers are too out of my price range in my area though I say if you want to go that route you should check out local independent stores. We have a chain called Michael's that has a custom framing center. Most pieces I have framed ranged in the $275-$350 mark, but those are all 24x36 an 18x24 I expect would cost less.Those come with a lot to protect the piece.

Now if you want to go cheap you can get a cheaper frame. The stores that sell the custom framing, like michaels mentioned above, also usually have cheapr pre-made frames in fairly standard sizes. You want to make sure though to get acid free foam core backing, and try to use something like a photo corners (Recollections™ PVC Photo Corners) so that way you are not putting tape on the piece itself. The cheap frames are cheap but it's something for a beginner or if you are not looking for something professional. If you have a store similar to a michael's you could see if their custom frame center could just sell you a cut colored mat, then buy a cheap frame slightly larger than the piece to make it a bit nicer.

Spotlight Displays (Quality Movie Poster Frames for Any Size Movie Poster) is another option for you. These are decently nice frames but the benefit is after mounting them to the wall the hinges open up so you can rotate prints in the frame. The 18x24 frame is only about $55US. If you want one step up from a cheap frame but not quite ready to dip into real custom framing money this could be an option

1587599287356.png