The Do's and Don'ts of Framing Prints

Wreck

Is Here To Serve
Staff Member
Jan 26, 2009
USA
While this thread title sounds so informative ... I'm really seeking out information actually. :hilarious: But hopefully over time it can be edited and become a great resource.

Last edited:
Reactions: jcm
While this thread title sounds so informative ... I'm really seeking out information actually. :hilarious: But hopefully over time it can be edited and become a great resource.

Right now I got 2 mondos and I just frame them in those cheap wal-mart frames. Is that ok? I plan to get nice frames for them eventually but I'm trying to pack for a move (which is still a ways off...) so I dont feel like going through the project or spendings of nice frames ... hope to just do that once settled in elsewhere...

it depends on which cheap frames you're using. The type of frame you don't want to use is the plastic frame that comes apart. Those will scuff the outer edge.

You can find standard sizes like 18x24 frames at craft stores. The place I go to called Hobby Lobby sells them for $35 and than they have a 40% off coupon, so $22.

Than there's this site http://www.wholesaleposterframes.com/, I haven't used them yet, but you can get a custom metal frame for a pretty good price.

it depends on which cheap frames you're using. The type of frame you don't want to use is the plastic frame that comes apart. Those will scuff the outer edge.

You can find standard sizes like 18x24 frames at craft stores. The place I go to called Hobby Lobby sells them for $35 and than they have a 40% off coupon, so $22.

Than there's this site http://www.wholesaleposterframes.com/, I haven't used them yet, but you can get a custom metal frame for a pretty good price.

Much better answer than I could have given. Since I am not moving anywhere, all I know is about framing and then sitting them on my floor. :emb:

Last edited:
Ok! So, if one of the two mondo's is the one I'm thinking about, don't go putting it in a cheapo frame!! I know how moving goes and you could end up leaving this sit for a while longer than you anticipated.

First off, when framing something you have that you want to keep the value of intact, you need to take some archival measures in order to keep it pristine. Seeing as you are moving and live in the Southwest, you might have more prominent heat problems.

Acid free backing is a must. Regular cardboard and foam board have acids in them from production that can seep out overtime, creating yellowish stains or discoloring your print. This is something you definitely want to avoid. And heat from your cramped moving vehicle could exacerbate this. Always use acid free foam board.

Secondly, have you ever had a picture in a frame where the picture actually stuck to the glass of the frame over time? Nasty business for a print. Metallic inks are even more prone to this. You want to either matt the poster or put in spacers to keep the print away from the glass.

Lots of other suggestions but that should get you by for now. Honestly, for transportation, I would roll it up and tube it, or else lay it flat between acid free foam cores and clamp them together, then wrap in a poly sleeve or shrink wrap.

I just bought a 1993 Jurassic Park 27x40 original double sided movie poster, what would be the best way to frame it? Are there any special things I need to do to keep it mint?

I just bought a 1993 Jurassic Park 27x40 original double sided movie poster, what would be the best way to frame it? Are there any special things I need to do to keep it mint?

I guess kinda what Rat said in regards to matting as it will keep it off the glass. I have an old Michael Jordan autograph 8x10 that is straight on the plexiglass and over time with some small moves you can tell its doign exactly waht he said. By going through this, I'm going to matt everything! Just gotta find the cheap but safe way to do it.

stay tuned....

---------- Post added at 07:31 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:15 PM ----------

Glass vs. Acrylic Usage

Glass is really the most common and is used in most picture frames in sizes 11x14 or smaller. The benefit of glass is that it’s resistant to scratching and is easy to clean. The only disadvantage of glass is that it’s heavy for shipping and can be a hazard if broken.

Acrylic or plexiglass is used primarily in posters and large picture frames (bigger than 11x14). Acrylic is used in large format frames because it’s more resistant to breaking than glass and costs less to ship. It is also used in frames in heavy traffic areas because if it’s broken it won’t be as dangerous as glass.

One big disadvantage of acrylic is that it scratches easily and requires extra attention when cleaning. Acrylic should only be cleaned with soap and water or a soft damp towel. Never use paper towels as this will scratch acrylic. Whatever you do don’t use any cleaners like ammonia or Windex on acrylic because that will ruin it. Another complaint with acrylic is that some people don’t like the look of it because it looks “like plastic.” However, if you’ve ever priced out a large piece of glass for a 16x20 frame or larger you’ll quickly agree that acrylic is the way to go for large frames.

So, the next time you’re asked if you want glass or acrylic I’d recommend selecting acrylic for three situations:

Use acrylic for anything bigger than 16x20 and

If you’re shipping a frame and want to save money

If you don’t want to risk the glass from breaking and damaging the original photo if it’s hanging on a wall in a high traffic area.

For everything else, stick with glass and the finish of your choice and chances are good that you’ll be happy with your choice.

useful

---------- Post added at 07:40 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:31 PM ----------

If you are not worried about matting .... it seems these frames are a good choice.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B008ELV2ZE/?tag=hidefnin-20

upgrade acrylic. http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0049NYDYI/?tag=hidefnin-20

Damn, thanks man. Sure glad I have not had to clean my acrylic yet, as they are not even hanging. I would have been that guy with a roll of paper towels and windex. EEK!

you can buy some acrylic spray cleaner too.

---------- Post added at 10:50 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:17 PM ----------

Ok I bought a frame.... Found a pretty good deal and all safe ....

All acid free with matt.
This is the price before shipping $15.00 and before the discount code OPER25 (25% off)
frameorder.jpg

This was total including shipping
frameWdiscount.jpg

I'll post back the final version ... It was cool that the ordering auto-sizes stuff as you change stuff so it all fits your print.

Red matt looks kinda light but its labeled as Deep Red so we'll have to see.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wreck, do you have a hobby lobby anywhere nearby? If so, I'd get your frame and matt from the site and then go and buy some uv glass from hobby lobby with their weekly 40% off coupon.

Edit:

And if you're just getting a plain black frame, hobby lobby has a 50% off sale every other week on premade frame sets and you could just take the glass and backer out of them and use your own stuff. They have several really nice sleek black frames. At 50% they usually come out to ~$25

Last edited:
That would be a good deal ... i have no hobby lobby around me. (familiar with them tho) I have a Michaels ... they were quoting me $437 for frraming LOL!

I like your idea tho and its kinda possible maybe even with Michaels ... but I'm assuming everything you are talkign about is no matting?

I wouldnt mind putting my Drive in with no matting but I bought the above fo Django

You can get your matting from where ever its cheaper. I was just pointing out that a lot of these retailers have good coupons/sales that would make frame and glass cheaper. The matting is the simplest part. I would still suggest a matt or spacers.

Then again, if you do it yourself you'll need a number of supplies if this is your first time.

That would be a good deal ... i have no hobby lobby around me. (familiar with them tho) I have a Michaels ... they were quoting me $437 for frraming LOL!

I like your idea tho and its kinda possible maybe even with Michaels ... but I'm assuming everything you are talkign about is no matting?

I wouldnt mind putting my Drive in with no matting but I bought the above fo Django

Your Michaels sucks it (or the pimple-faced HS kid). They have regular coupons of 60% + 10% - 20% extra off custom framing. I got that deal the first time, and now they guy gives it to me every time I place an order. All my 24x36 prints cost about $81 ($250 before the discounts). All the rest go down depending on the size. That incudes a black metal frame, foam core, UV protective acrylic, spacers and install. Now, the acrylic is not the museum quality which is more expensive. The main benefit from that is less glare. It is pretty obvious, because they have done a few in the museum quality because they were late on my order and the acrylic is nice. But, with the amount of prints I want to get framed, I'm OK with my $80 max for framing. ;)

Yeah im a n00b in this area .... You're the mondo mod. :p local expert.

I have no supplies .... Im a big "do it yourself" type of guy in regards to arts and crafts buttttttttttt...... I really dont want to get into framing otherwise I wont stop lol .. and I'll buy more than my walls can hold which as of right now is NOTHING more. ;p

Yeah im a n00b in this area .... You're the mondo :p local expert.

I have no supplies .... Im a big "do it yourself" type of guy in regards to arts and crafts buttttttttttt...... I really dont want to get into framing otherwise I wont stop lol .. and I'll buy more than my walls can hold which as of right now is NOTHING more. ;p

You sparked me as a diy kind of guy. All you really need for supplies would be a point driver, some double sided tape, craft paper and hanging supplies. Maybe some archival corners. Toughest part is deciding on the frame and matting.

I can try and make a tutorial some time.

Alright ... here to report back ... did my first frame.

Seems the mondo is probably just a tad off ... im talkign microscopic ....but makes it absolute pain in the ass with hardly any room of cushion when getting the sides lined up on the mat.

Easy fix for next time ..... Just do double matting. (which they offer)

Also need more of those spring screw things that hold the foamboard on the backing better. It's in their pretty sturdy but I feel some wiggle room and seen it too... so buy a bag of those to apply a couple extra and your good to go.

Acrylic was kinda a pain in the ass as after I peeled off the sticky paper it didnt appear as clean as it should ... not the whole thing but i saw one good marked up spot that needed cleaning. Used a microfiber cloth that leaves no streaks and used water as per acrylic cleaning instructions up above.

For $99 bucks tho I'm extremely pleased as its done professionally and conserved. I didnt go with the UV acrylic as it added a lot more cost but I dont plan on having this thing in the sunlight anyways. Plus it wont be in a room that gets a ton of light all the time.

Might figure out some cheaper alternatives for prints that arent as dear to my heart or as damaging on the wallet. However this print wasn't cheap so I wanted it done right.

PICS:
DSCN3963.jpg

Metallic Inks FTW!
DSCN3962.JPG

DSCN3960.JPG

Signed and numbered... 95
DSCN3959.JPG

Example of back....
DSCN3964.JPG

Could use a few more...
DSCN3965.jpg

Alright ... here to report back ... did my first frame.

Seems the mondo is probably just a tad off ... im talkign microscopic ....but makes it absolute pain in the ass with hardly any room of cushion when getting the sides lined up on the mat.

Easy fix for next time ..... Just do double matting. (which they offer)

Also need more of those spring screw things that hold the foamboard on the backing better. It's in their pretty sturdy but I feel some wiggle room and seen it too... so buy a bag of those to apply a couple extra and your good to go.

Acrylic was kinda a pain in the ass as after I peeled off the sticky paper it didnt appear as clean as it should ... not the whole thing but i saw one good marked up spot that needed cleaning. Used a microfiber cloth that leaves no streaks and used water as per acrylic cleaning instructions up above.

For $99 bucks tho I'm extremely pleased as its done professionally and conserved. I didnt go with the UV acrylic as it added a lot more cost but I dont plan on having this thing in the sunlight anyways. Plus it wont be in a room that gets a ton of light all the time.

Might figure out some cheaper alternatives for prints that arent as dear to my heart or as damaging on the wallet. However this print wasn't cheap so I wanted it done right.

PICS:
View attachment 32764

Metallic Inks FTW!
View attachment 32765

View attachment 32766

Signed and numbered... 95
View attachment 32767

Example of back....
View attachment 32768

Could use a few more...
View attachment 32769

Heck yeah! :scat: Very nice. I like the red mat, and looks as good as you would get at any shop. I might try a smaller less valuable print I know I want hung, so I can get hang of it.

on the site the red looked very light like ... but the name of the red said like Deep Red or something ... so i just figured it'd be darker in person and sure enough it was exactly what I wanted.

Reactions: roseart
My view on framing is that if you've got an original poster (not just for Mondo's) that is worth/going to be worth a good amount of money, get it professionally framed to preserve it.

I use a local company who use all 100% authentic archival material when framing and charge me about £55-£65 for a US one sheet/UK quad. So far I have The Expendables, Total Recall, Twins and my Alamo Drafthouse Nightmare on Elm Street posters framed. They are 'hung' within the frame and look amazing. I also know that whilst in the frames they will never detiriate.

One word of advice, never never NEVER get them heat-backed/glued to board before framing.

Reactions: vurt and roseart