The Do's and Don'ts of Framing Prints

Wreck

Is Here To Serve
Staff Member
Jan 26, 2009
USA
While this thread title sounds so informative ... I'm really seeking out information actually. :hilarious: But hopefully over time it can be edited and become a great resource.

Last edited:
Reactions: jcm
I have a few questions about framing.

Should we focus on the non-reflective glass to plexiglass?

I saw that there is a invisible UV glass is it really useful?

I found a site that makes framing and wanted to know if a background hardboard was better than another material?

For large frame I was advised to use 2 mm plexiglass you think this is good?

I hope you can answer all these questions

Thanking you in advance :)

I think the biggest thing is using acid free foamboard ... really expensive prints put a mat on it ... helps keep the print off the glass or plastic. I have hard acrylic plastic on mine, not glass. I even have some prints in the cheap wal-mart frames .... I know its a "no-no" but so far its been no prob. I mostly put them in there for flattening purposes to then later move on to a better frame but with small amount of area to hang framed stuff they seem to stay in these frames much longer then originally intended.

ie. 6 months. :p

I think the biggest thing is using acid free foamboard ... really expensive prints put a mat on it ... helps keep the print off the glass or plastic. I have hard acrylic plastic on mine, not glass. I even have some prints in the cheap wal-mart frames .... I know its a "no-no" but so far its been no prob. I mostly put them in there for flattening purposes to then later move on to a better frame but with small amount of area to hang framed stuff they seem to stay in these frames much longer then originally intended.

ie. 6 months. :p

Thank you very much Wreck :scat:

The UV part is critical too. I have some prints framed in non-UV glass simply because I can't afford the UV on every single print I hang, but if there is any direct sunlight OR a lot of constant incandescent light, you'd want to use UV.

I've learned a hard lesson on dust sealing a frame too. This happened to me about a month ago:

IMG_20130806_212727.jpg

temp.jpg

Does anyone know where one gets an acid-free board to keep the prints flat before framing? I've been to a couple of local hardware stores and they don't seem to have an idea wtf I am talking about. Best they got is styrofoam sheets 1, 1.5 and 2 inches thick (sheets only come in 2X8 ft, obviously). 2 inch thick is roughly $25.

i believe u can find them on ebay. I saw that long ago.

Checked it out and did not see anything. I actually saw them at Walmart a few years back, but doesn't look like they have them anymore.

Found this, but wouldn't I want something thicker for storage? Are there any other good options? Maybe something sturdier than foam board.

Does anyone know where one gets an acid-free board to keep the prints flat before framing? I've been to a couple of local hardware stores and they don't seem to have an idea wtf I am talking about. Best they got is styrofoam sheets 1, 1.5 and 2 inches thick (sheets only come in 2X8 ft, obviously). 2 inch thick is roughly $25.

Check your local arts and crafts store.

Reactions: Bubbie
I'm just getting into prints and framing. I actually already had a couple of gig posters which I purchased about 2 years back and also an art print of an album cover which were stored rolled in a tube. I had no idea that the ink could crack, etc. My main aim was to frame these once I moved into my own place but after reading about this I framed them soon as possible. However, I have some questions...

I'm using a mount on all my prints, mainly for conservation (to keep the print off the glass) but I'm wondering are you meant to tape the print to the mount? (think it's called 'Hinging'). I'm a bit wary about it, even though you can buy that PH-70 Acid free stuff. I've just placed the print in place and the acid free barrier board and then MDF backing hold it in place. Is there any downfalls to this? Should I tape the print to the mount?

Another thing is that I've just purchased 4 prints and don't really have the funds to buy 4 frames, plus haven't the space to hang all 4. My plan was to frame 2 of them but to store/place the other 2 prints behind the framed ones (if that makes sense?) Is there a downside to this? (such as inks bleeding/blending, etc).

Reactions: Cinlabyrinth
I'm just getting into prints and framing. I actually already had a couple of gig posters which I purchased about 2 years back and also an art print of an album cover which were stored rolled in a tube. I had no idea that the ink could crack, etc. My main aim was to frame these once I moved into my own place but after reading about this I framed them soon as possible. However, I have some questions...

I'm using a mount on all my prints, mainly for conservation (to keep the print off the glass) but I'm wondering are you meant to tape the print to the mount? (think it's called 'Hinging'). I'm a bit wary about it, even though you can buy that PH-70 Acid free stuff. I've just placed the print in place and the acid free barrier board and then MDF backing hold it in place. Is there any downfalls to this? Should I tape the print to the mount?

Another thing is that I've just purchased 4 prints and don't really have the funds to buy 4 frames, plus haven't the space to hang all 4. My plan was to frame 2 of them but to store/place the other 2 prints behind the framed ones (if that makes sense?) Is there a downside to this? (such as inks bleeding/blending, etc).

Great questions! I'd be curious of this too because I find myself not always having the time or money to get the exact framing options I want, but having the prints, and I don't like keeping them rolled up so I have to move on things faster than I'd always like. This has even kept me from buying prints at times

If you use a floating frame I wonder if you can have each poster on each side and jsut twist the frame around when you feel like a change

I think if they make such a reversible style frame (if not one could be custom made) then all you would probably need inbetween mllny is one sheet of kraft paper between the prints to prevent bleed if any over time.

As for people in the states running into probs with frames being expensive in general and wanting to unroll them....

I can say, that I use the cheapie wal-mart frames for temporary framing. When I say temporary I actually mean a long while. ;) :p This is my first year into prints and I have some prints i had in the wal-mart frames for over 6 months already ... I just took it out to switch frames and it was still perfect. My guess is if you frame them or sell them later after a year then you are probably still in a good window.

I have about 4 cheap wal-mart frames and I like them a lot as they allow my prints to flatten faster for later framing, and enjoy the art now as opposed to having stuff rolled away or tucked away.

Reactions: TobinFrost
Since my post above I've been doing a ton of research and although I haven't found definitive answers I think I now know enough to make my mind up.

So far for storage I've got 2 sheets of acid free foam board (5mm). I then place a sheet of mylar on the inside top and bottom for added protection and then a sheet of archival glassine and then the prints. In between each print is a sheet of glassine so that they don't come in to contact. Think that is pretty much the ultimate archival ''sandwich''!

Initially I was going to get mylar sleeves for each print and place inside the foam board but it became waaaaay too pricey to get so many at a large size (24x36). It was much cheaper to get the glassine paper.

As for hinging artwork, I'm still not sure. However, the prints I have framed seem perfectly fine and the art hasn't fallen/moved or anything. The backing keeps it in place without any problem.

As for storing 2 prints per frame. I think it can be easily done. All you'd need is a sheet of glassine in between the prints and then hold it all together with the backing (tape it shut with kraft tape too). No idea on long term effects but for short term I think it would be fine. (btw, when I mean to store 2 prints per frame, I mean just to have 1 print on show, the other just placed behind as temporary storage until a separate frame can be purchased).

Reactions: Cinlabyrinth