Sep 10, 2014
The Land, OHIO - U.S.A.
Release Date: April 28, 2020
Prices and Links:
Criterion- $31.96
Amazon- $29.39
E2DD1AF0-7F05-423D-BC37-0D5ABFC1A471.jpeg

Director: Wes Anderson
Writers: Stefan Zweig (inspired by the writings of), Wes Anderson (screenplay)
Stars: Ralph Fiennes, F. Murray Abraham, Mathieu Amalric, Willem Dafoe, Adrien Brody, Bill Murray, Tilda Swinton, Edward Norton
  • United States
  • 100 minutes
  • Color
  • 1.37:1, 1.85:1, 2.40:1
  • English
9D232D33-E817-44F8-B947-14E21ADC7F58.jpeg

Wes Anderson brings his dry wit and visual inventiveness to this exquisite caper set amid the old-world splendor of Europe between the World Wars. At the opulent Grand Budapest Hotel, the concierge M. Gustave (Ralph Fiennes) and his young protégé Zero (Tony Revolori) forge a steadfast bond as they are swept up in a scheme involving the theft of a priceless Renaissance painting and the battle for an enormous family fortune—while around them, political upheaval consumes the continent. Meticulously designed, The Grand Budapest Hotel is a breathless picaresque and a poignant paean to friendship and the grandeur of a vanished world, performed with panache by an all-star ensemble that includes F. Murray Abraham, Adrien Brody, Saoirse Ronan, Willem Dafoe, Jude Law, Harvey Keitel, Jeff Goldblum, Mathieu Amalric, Tilda Swinton, and Bill Murray.

8ED1B053-585F-413B-B2F4-78B85CD850E4.jpeg

DIRECTOR-APPROVED SPECIAL EDITION FEATURES
  • 2K digital transfer, supervised by director Wes Anderson, with 5.1 surround DTS-HD Master Audio soundtrack on the Blu-ray
  • New audio commentary featuring Anderson, filmmaker Roman Coppola, and actor Jeff Goldblum
  • Selected-scene storyboard animatics
  • The Making of “The Grand Budapest Hotel,” a new documentary about the film
  • New interviews with the cast and crew
  • Video essays from 2015 and 2020 by critic Matt Zoller Seitz and film scholar David Bordwell
  • Behind-the-scenes, special-effects, and test footage
  • Trailer
  • PLUS: Two pieces by critic Richard Brody and (with the Blu-ray) a double-sided poster and other ephemera

Original Theatrical Trailer:

Last edited:
Reactions: shaftedgu
Rights issue ?
Possibly. i wish I knew. They are falling behind instead of being the vanguard. Surely being synonymous with preservation of important film would go hand in hand with having the best versions available.
i know that I cringe hard everytime I see blu rays “ReMastered in 4K”. Great. if you scanned it and remastered it in 4K wouldn’t you want us to see the results in 4K?

analogy:
”we did a complete restoration of the Mona Lisa That took 10 years of painstaking work.”
”Can I see it?!”
”Sure.... But only through this coke bottle smeared with vaseline.”

Possibly. i wish I knew. They are falling behind instead of being the vanguard. Surely being synonymous with preservation of important film would go hand in hand with having the best versions available.
i know that I cringe hard everytime I see blu rays “ReMastered in 4K”. Great. if you scanned it and remastered it in 4K wouldn’t you want us to see the results in 4K?

analogy:
”we did a complete restoration of the Mona Lisa That took 10 years of painstaking work.”
”Can I see it?!”
”Sure.... But only through this coke bottle smeared with vaseline.”

None of the boutique labels are doing UHD discs, so they're not exactly falling behind. I must admit though it has put me off buying stuff from labels like Arrow - sinking cash into Waterworld only to see it released on UHD shortly after was disappointing.

None of the boutique labels are doing UHD discs, so they're not exactly falling behind. I must admit though it has put me off buying stuff from labels like Arrow - sinking cash into Waterworld only to see it released on UHD shortly after was disappointing.

Agree, but Arrow tend to release same titles in A and B regions. CC (not 95 :LOL:) mostly on A, some bread crumbs on B too ... ;(

• Haha
Reactions: C.C. 95
Yeah. It is kind of a mystery that they have not yet done that yet. Keep the same idea - just shift Blu ray and DVD to 4K and Blu ray.

I was given a sample criterion 4k case like 1.5 years ago. Not home or id show pic. Point being the packaging exists so that part isn’t holding them up....

Packaging. That's the least of our worries. lol.
True but it means it’s not like that is holding them up. They sell a lot in a book store in USA. Barnes and nobles and these new cases have black top only so they would want to differentiate at retail one would assume and they would need packaging so just saying it’s something else that holds them up and/or they don’t see the cost increase beneficial

Arrow brings out titles for the physical market on Blu-Ray. But some titles are additionally available as 4K via streaming. For example: The Dead Center
Bildschirmfoto von 2020-04-15 11-07-52__2.jpg

Last edited:
That's good, but is again another reason not to invest in certain Arrow blu ray titles...
Progress is a sword with 2 edges: Arrow has become mainstream with bringing out much newer and some common titles and spreading their palette of movies to much different genres. With this step they're moving away from being an independent label and and forward to the mainstream market and 4K is a part of it. Now they must deliver. But my last purchase (The Sender) had no 4K release and there's also no other Blu-Ray release of it. They restored it and released it on Blu-Ray and I think it's good.

Received the UK version from Zoom yesterday. It was packed in a carton envelope, not good. Had the feeling someone really put his foot on it. The digipack and sleeve are bent all over the place.