The Handmaiden (Blu-ray SteelBook) [Korea]

Feb 1, 2012
Netherlands
Release date: July 30, 2018
Purchase links: Plainarchive: Quarter Slip - Full Slip Type A - Full Slip Type B - Triple Pack
Also available at: Novamedia | Yesasia | Kimchidvd
Price: $41.79 (Quarter Slip) - $49.49 (Type A) - $47.29 (Type B) - $132.29 (Triple Pack)
Notes: Steelbook has full gloss finish.

0739f3bf9e646fdab48d8bb2cc875bd0_400x.pngA_d7d29116-6c9f-4435-b5f8-24e08bf62914_800x.pngB_1fe50d36-bd8c-4b13-b741-4e309e71bf32_800x.png63f46c13d79cdcc72724a492d0251f81_4141b206-de5e-47ab-9bd8-9088f11b1ba8_600x.jpg
296c50f7f0968f494741b3d3e1787a17_391ac69c-87dd-4544-9cf2-d11e123e53e3_800x.png
25daffc5840d2ae620f7230a9a15a11c_cccc3e52-5bca-4cae-be1f-1edfc3a85a0a_600x.png
B_588723d0-cf79-4b3f-b962-5e33479a1080_600x.png
A_62e7fb01-e3f3-43aa-83f7-4fa262af3e95_600x.png
B_ef31ea8c-54d6-4033-8d57-904c95a95f43_800x.png
8f5c112f81062b38c631efbacfd5fe2d_7c76436a-80a6-4b4a-87cb-1a1e16e88cfd_800x.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Getting my hands on it definitely scratched some sort of collector's itch and now I find myself checking out these forums every day for the next release I want to have. :joy:
Hopefully this will be the start of a nice collection!

Dude, bail! You still got the chance! ;)

Just kidding of course, welcome to the wonderful world of steelbook collecting, and welcome to HDN, too.

@Real Steel thanks for the tag! Like @AlienKing i decided to went ahead and order the full slip version even though I am really after the 1/4 edition :(.

Is it just me or Paypal conversion rate suck balls? When you do a regular search in Google, 1 CAD = 0.76 USD, but in paypal it's only 0.73.. :dunno:
Yea, like Real Steel said, you can use the cards and their conversion options. With the CC, I found we save about 1-2 for most transactions. But obviously the higher the amount on the transaction the higher your savings. I havent tested the debit card differences yet.
Welcome and glad you got it.

PayPal is an absolute ripoff. If you have a debit or credit card, link it to PayPal and pay in USD using your card in future. Then withdraw from PayPal in CAD and use the funds to pay your card account. The card exchange rate is more reasonable.
What do you mean by "Then withdraw from PayPal in CAD and use the funds to pay your card account."?
Once you link your card and pay in USD, the conversion automatically happens, there isnt a need for us to withdraw from PP; is there?

Reactions: Real Steel
What do you mean by "Then withdraw from PayPal in CAD and use the funds to pay your card account."?
Once you link your card and pay in USD, the conversion automatically happens, there isnt a need for us to withdraw from PP; is there?
There are actually two ways to do it.

One is to use your credit card to pay the merchant directly in USD. Then the card company will bill you in your home currency CAD. So if you wish to use your CAD balance in your PayPal to pay for the transaction, you can withdraw the funds from PayPal in CAD to pay the card company.

Alternatively, if, like me, you would like to use your PayPal account for all transactions, say for easy record keeping or to take advantage of PayPal buyer protection, then link your credit card to your PayPal account. So when you need to pay a merchant in USD, either use any PayPal USD balance you have or choose to pay in USD using your linked credit card. You can also choose any combination of the two. PayPal will bill your card company the amount you chose to pay in USD using your linked card. Then, as in the first method, the card company will bill you in CAD for the amount billed by PayPal.

So either way you use, you avoid doing any currency conversion through PayPal. Hope this helps. :)

Reactions: kryptonite
Oh I thought this question was posed by Dan. Lol.

Something fishy about this, wonder if the "generic black Plain Archive sticker" is a spare he's had off another release. I think more than likely his was damaged and this is a spare? Don't know why it's sealed though, unless he has a shrinkwrap machine

Something fishy about this, wonder if the "generic black Plain Archive sticker" is a spare he's had off another release. I think more than likely his was damaged and this is a spare? Don't know why it's sealed though, unless he has a shrinkwrap machine

The steelbooks are also individually wrapped in the Type A and B slips. If he is selling the steelbook without the slip and giving a PA sticker, he can be honest with that.

Reactions: davhyl
The steelbooks are also individually wrapped in the Type A and B slips. If he is selling the steelbook without the slip and giving a PA sticker, he can be honest with that.

I brought The Master Steelbook a while back in a similar state from eBay amd had my reservations about that too. Turns out it was the release the PA had just for the KR market and not for oversees customers. This could be the same thing. Some Korean retailers do sell the steelbook alone to just the KR market although it is rare. I think the Her 1/4 slip was as KR exclusive and I know Drive had a full slip that that a different distributed logo on it in KR even though that was still a Kimchi exclusive witht he same artwork as their international release.

There are actually two ways to do it.

One is to use your credit card to pay the merchant directly in USD. Then the card company will bill you in your home currency CAD. So if you wish to use your CAD balance in your PayPal to pay for the transaction, you can withdraw the funds from PayPal in CAD to pay the card company.

Alternatively, if, like me, you would like to use your PayPal account for all transactions, say for easy record keeping or to take advantage of PayPal buyer protection, then link your credit card to your PayPal account. So when you need to pay a merchant in USD, either use any PayPal USD balance you have or choose to pay in USD using your linked credit card. You can also choose any combination of the two. PayPal will bill your card company the amount you chose to pay in USD using your linked card. Then, as in the first method, the card company will bill you in CAD for the amount billed by PayPal.

So either way you use, you avoid doing any currency conversion through PayPal. Hope this helps. :)
Yea exactly. It's just that when I read your previous message, it seemed like you were under the impression and suggesting that we'd be going through the process of withdrawing. Which is not the case of course. Assuming we go through PP and not use our card directly, we simply choose whether PP uses our debit or credit card. Everything else just happens in the background. Also, if your PP balance is almost always 0 then you dont have to worry about all the other stuff.

The only downside, potentially, for using your credit card directly or thorugh PP is when you cancel an order. You might get less or more money depending on the coversion on the day of the refund. Had this happen to be 2- 3 times and I always got less back. You cant even complain to the retailer because they refunded in USD the correct amount. May be I should've tried with my card issuer?

Oh I thought this question was posed by Dan. Lol.
Haha lol, that's fine.
Actually he's being pretty honest about it.

"This was received from Plain Archive, is still sealed, and includes a generic black Plain Archive sticker on the back. "
"NOTE: This is NEW, but is not the 1/4 quarter slip and does NOT include any slip-cover unless stated in title (steelbook was removed from the original external full-slip or lenticular-slip) "

I brought The Master Steelbook a while back in a similar state from eBay amd had my reservations about that too. Turns out it was the release the PA had just for the KR market and not for oversees customers. This could be the same thing. Some Korean retailers do sell the steelbook alone to just the KR market although it is rare. I think the Her 1/4 slip was as KR exclusive and I know Drive had a full slip that that a different distributed logo on it in KR even though that was still a Kimchi exclusive witht he same artwork as their international release.
I dont know if you guys noticed but he is very honest about it

"This was received from Plain Archive, is still sealed, and includes a generic black Plain Archive sticker on the back. "
"NOTE: This is NEW, but is not the 1/4 quarter slip and does NOT include any slip-cover unless stated in title (steelbook was removed from the original external full-slip or lenticular-slip) "

That's good. At least everyone knows where they stand. In all fairness I didn't actually click on the link! My bad.

EDIT: Just clicked the listing and it looks exactly like how my copy of The Master came.

Yes, that's right in a sense. I wasn't saying he being dishonest. I was only thinking the impression it gave was that the steelbook was received from PA with the sticker. I don't think any of us received the PA sticker with the steelbook.

Hmm on second reading, I noticed this statement now included: '(steelbook was removed from the original external full-slip or lenticular-slip)'. I can't remember it being there when I first read it. So now it's clearer and definitely more informative. In any case , does anyone else have the PA sticker included on the Steelbook?

Last edited:
Reactions: AlienKing
The only downside, potentially, for using your credit card directly or thorugh PP is when you cancel an order. You might get less or more money depending on the coversion on the day of the refund. Had this happen to be 2- 3 times and I always got less back. You cant even complain to the retailer because they refunded in USD the correct amount. May be I should've tried with my card issuer?
"

Hmm, I think it could be the card issuer's buy-sell spread that causes you to get less back. I don't know if Visa and Master cards always do that but American Express seems to use the same side of the buy-sell quotes for refunds, so I do get more back sometimes, though they all don't amount to much.

Reactions: AlienKing
btw: i would be careful with buying from our typical korean ebay resellers... if this is a WEA then there must be at least 2000 copies of this and I really dont know if this was popular enough to guarantee such a shortage of copies...

i just noticed that wdpung, koreanmuse, etc. only list a few copies from time to time to imo create this artifical shortage, while probably having an awful lot up their sleeves.. same with shape of water weet... somehow they keep pulling out new copies with constantly rising prices.. as in the case of blade runner 2049 it led to insane prices for a few weeks which have dropped to more or less RRP now..

btw: i would be careful with buying from our typical korean ebay resellers... if this is a WEA then there must be at least 2000 copies of this and I really dont know if this was popular enough to guarantee such a shortage of copies...

i just noticed that wdpung, koreanmuse, etc. only list a few copies from time to time to imo create this artifical shortage, while probably having an awful lot up their sleeves.. same with shape of water weet... somehow they keep pulling out new copies with constantly rising prices.. as in the case of blade runner 2049 it led to insane prices for a few weeks which have dropped to more or less RRP now..
What I know from past experiences is that the Korean resellers may not keep stock of everything they listed. When they made a sale on ebay, they will then try to secure the copy from their supplier or sources. Sometimes, they fail and would refund the ebay buyer.

It happened to me once when I tried to get a particular item and it was refunded because the seller could not fufil it. I then tried two other sellers and the same thing happened. Worse was that one of the sellers actually listed having multiple quantities. So the item that I wanted, which had 4 or 5 total available when I was browsing through the sellers, suddenly went fully out-of-stock on ebay!

Reactions: hatredhorror

I need to say something on behalf of wdpung: I contacted him when he didn't have the 1/4 slip available and offered him $100 flat and he came through and charged me $59.95 shipped to Germany. He obviously increased the price by now and you might as well be spot-on with your theory, but I almost begged to be ripped off and he didn't take advantage of my despair....

Do you mean just extra stickers lying around or are you asking if people are getting it with their Handmaiden orders from PA?
Yeah I'm wondering if others got PA stickers with their orders because I didn't get any and PA didn't say anything about giving their stickers for this release. :)