Contributor Steels/Arrow
Contributor
Premium Supporter
Sep 10, 2012
Navan/Ireland
Release date: November 30, 2020
Purchase links: WB Shop - Zavvi - Amazon UK - HMV
Price: £99.99
Finish: Matte w/ no 'bossing (steelbook & case)
Notes: WB Shop includes Artcards - UHD Discs only does not include Blu-ray discs

81PN-mdaa+L._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I just got official press release.

Interestingly enough they tout other releases to happen next year. I'm kinda guessing those wont be steel tho.

Both Trilogies feature the theatrical and extended versions of the six Middle-earth films in
4K resolution with High Dynamic Range (HDR)

Six-film “Middle-earth” Ultimate Collectors’ Edition with new Bonus Content
to be released in 4K UHD in Summer 2021

The Lord of the Rings Trilogy Remastered Blu-ray™
to be released in 4K UHD in fourth Quarter 2021 to celebrate 20th anniversary of The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring

The 4K remastering process was overseen by Peter Jackson.

In addition, it was also announced that a 4K UHD “Middle-earth” Ultimate Collectors’ Edition featuring the theatrical and extended versions of all six films, along with new bonus content, previously released Blu-ray discs of The Hobbit Trilogy, and remastered Blu-ray discs of The Lord of the Rings Trilogy will be released in the summer of 2021. The Lord of the Rings Trilogy featuring remastered Blu-ray discs of the theatrical and extended versions of the 3 films will also be released in the fourth quarter 2021, to celebrate the 20th anniversary of The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring.

The 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray discs of The Hobbit Trilogy and The Lord of the Rings Trilogy will feature Dolby VisionTM HDR that dramatically expands the color palette and contrast range and uses dynamic metadata to automatically optimize the picture for every screen, frame by frame. The 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray discs of The Hobbit Trilogy and The Lord of the Rings Trilogy will also feature a Dolby Atmos® soundtrack remixed specifically for the home theater environment to place and move audio anywhere in the room, including overhead. To experience Dolby Atmos at home, a Dolby Atmos enabled AV receiver and additional speakers are required, or a Dolby Atmos enabled sound bar. Dolby Atmos soundtracks are also fully backward compatible with traditional audio configurations and legacy home entertainment equipment.

I just got official press release.

Interestingly enough they tout other releases to happen next year. I'm kinda guessing those wont be steel tho.

Both Trilogies feature the theatrical and extended versions of the six Middle-earth films in
4K resolution with High Dynamic Range (HDR)

Six-film “Middle-earth” Ultimate Collectors’ Edition with new Bonus Content
to be released in 4K UHD in Summer 2021

The Lord of the Rings Trilogy Remastered Blu-ray™
to be released in 4K UHD in fourth Quarter 2021 to celebrate 20th anniversary of The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring

The 4K remastering process was overseen by Peter Jackson.

In addition, it was also announced that a 4K UHD “Middle-earth” Ultimate Collectors’ Edition featuring the theatrical and extended versions of all six films, along with new bonus content, previously released Blu-ray discs of The Hobbit Trilogy, and remastered Blu-ray discs of The Lord of the Rings Trilogy will be released in the summer of 2021. The Lord of the Rings Trilogy featuring remastered Blu-ray discs of the theatrical and extended versions of the 3 films will also be released in the fourth quarter 2021, to celebrate the 20th anniversary of The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring.

The 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray discs of The Hobbit Trilogy and The Lord of the Rings Trilogy will feature Dolby VisionTM HDR that dramatically expands the color palette and contrast range and uses dynamic metadata to automatically optimize the picture for every screen, frame by frame. The 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray discs of The Hobbit Trilogy and The Lord of the Rings Trilogy will also feature a Dolby Atmos® soundtrack remixed specifically for the home theater environment to place and move audio anywhere in the room, including overhead. To experience Dolby Atmos at home, a Dolby Atmos enabled AV receiver and additional speakers are required, or a Dolby Atmos enabled sound bar. Dolby Atmos soundtracks are also fully backward compatible with traditional audio configurations and legacy home entertainment equipment.

So these 4K discs aren’t remastered? Sounds like they’re doing further tinkering for another release next year.... or have I misunderstood?

So these 4K discs aren’t remastered? Sounds like they’re doing further tinkering for another release next year.... or have I misunderstood?
Here is how I am understanding it....

since they already quoted in past tense that Peter Jackson has overseen the 4k remastering process it suggests that is done ... and thus new. However for regular BD there is plans for remastering of just LOTR trilogy and itll drop summer next year.

this quote seems to better explain it, sort of... imo

and the difference between summer and 4th quarter next year ... is summer is UCE, and 4th quarter will be cheaper version, likely amaray or boxset etc.

with UCE, im guessing something elaborate and expensive ... hence why steels only this year. Tho wouldnt shock me for a diff market to do a smaller steel run next year but Im not sure I suspect they will double up again with steels next year in USA and perhaps same of UK. Who knows tho if Scanavo can convince them otherwise its possible. That or just ToC releases next year... but Peter Jackson stamp is all over this, when Directors are that involved they typically have to green light packaging as well. Art that is.

• Informative
Reactions: Punker76
Reactions: djjez83
Like an idiot I ended up falling asleep before midnight to order both LotR and Hobbit from Zavvi. Cue a mad rush right now to find out where it's still available.....

Just ordered Hobbit set from Amazon, and had to get LotR set from WB Shop. But either way, they are both secured and I am happy. lol

Rubbish sets poor artwork , the gift set looks nicer with the replica of the ring anyone know when that goes live ? , think I will wait for the collectors edition of it all together next summer anyway