The Last Samurai 4K

Kosm

White Tulip
Premium Supporter
Mar 12, 2019
The Last Samurai is one of my all time favourite movies. Why is it not being released on 4K?! Who else agrees this should be done, and does anyone have any inside information about this??

• Friendly
Reactions: Halo500
The Last Samurai is one of my all time favourite movies. Why is it not being released on 4K?! Who else agrees this should be done, and does anyone have any inside information about this??
Well, you have to realize that this movie was shot in 2K only and they'll have to upscale it to 4K in order to bring it to market.

Reactions: Kosm
Indeed a shame that this was not shoot with film/higher resolution, so that it could be released on 4K!:(
As far as I recall it it has some GREAT imagery (landscapes and Japanese specifics),
and all the movie was also GREAT (despite Tom Cruise being in it,
although he did played fair enough, but FAR from Watanabe and Koyuki, IMHO).

I was holding back to purchase the BD in the hope of the UHD HDR!

I love this film as well! Still hoping for a 4K HDR release as well. Finally introduced the film to my girlfriend and she too loved it! :LOL:

It is a great movie, that's for sure ... I feel like I need to give it another watch now!

Well, you have to realize that this movie was shot in 2K only and they'll have to upscale it to 4K in order to bring it to market.
The Last Samurai was shot on 35mm film, not on 2k digital cameras. Still, it's expensive for studios to scan and process for 4k. Scanning a 35mm film is equivalent to a 10k resolution image.

Reactions: Halo500