The latest cd you bought.

nefilim

BANNED
Premium Supporter
Mar 6, 2013
The latest cd you bought. be it limited edition, special edition, normal edition whatever.

there are so many cool cd's coming and going. not just normal jewelcases.

would anyone, besides me post here, if not nevermind, if would could this even become sticky ?

anyway I'll try and start, arrived today :​

DSC_2007.JPG

grinderman digipak. grinderman 2 limited deluxe edition. 2 kent cd's with digipak

Last edited:
Reactions: dan8885 and C.C. 95
@nefilim

Great idea but we already got a "Latest Vinyl purchase" thread in the Vinyl Forum HERE

Maybe you change this thread to "Latest CD purchase" then? There's just a few people who collect vinyl so it would make sense to keep them all in one place.

• Thanks
Reactions: nefilim
how is that SWANS ?

been trying to like them so long. even have their Joy Division cover 12" vinyl. but some how they are a bit distant to me ...
They can be distant I guess. I don't think so.
It depends on the era of Swans.
ERA 1
Filth (1983)
Cop (1984)
Greed (1986)
One new (huge) wrinkle was adding female singer, keyboardist, songwriter Jarboe who has a beautiful and creepy voice that reminds me of Diamanda Galas crossed with Elizabeth Fraser!
Holy Money (1986)

This era is Straight up, intense industrial stuff. Angry young man stuff with low production values but very important in the whole pantheon of American Industrial.

ERA 1.5
Children of God (1987)
Is a masterpiece that bridged the gap between their sonic hammer sound and crushingly beautiful melodies.
(All while exploring religion under the influence of Hallucinagens! Were they serious, or not? Good question)
This album (2 LP set) is a long a hypnotic trip like no other. I played this until the wheels fell off, when I was in High School. Important and great album.

ERA 2
The Burning World (1989)
Is their one bid for respectability in the 'normal' music world. They were signed to Uni (Universal) Records and assigned a professional producer in the great Bill Laswell. It is their most straightforward album that could be called "conventional", with its acoustic-based traditional song structures.
It is also a beautiful a wonderful album. Listen to the last song "God damn The Sun" about a friend of Gira's that died in Paris. Amazing. But the most amazing thing about Gira's work is how he works the opposing forces of gorgeous melodies with heart crushing lyrics.
White Light from the Mouth of Infinity (1991)
Love of Life (1992)
The Great Annihilator (1995)
The Bunny Trilogy. These are great albums. They are just some of the best songwriting ever. A must.
The beautiful melodies with tragic lyrics continues, and the scale of the sonic production is just epic. These three albums feel like three parts of a sprawling novel.
Soundtracks for the Blind (1996)
The last of this era. They close out strong. This is the last iteration of this lineup. They will not regroup for 14 years.

ERA 3
My Father Will Guide Me up a Rope to the Sky (2010)
Fourteen years later. This is a bridge between the work on the last Swans album, Gira's Angels of Light side project, and the more tribal sensibilities of earlier Swans work. A mishmash of Former Swans members.

ERA 3.5

The Seer (2012)
The return of Jarboe as a member. And Karen O of the Yeah Yeah Yeahs Adds to the mix. This is a EPIC wailing wall of long dirges. A sonic blast to the senses. This is one crazy ass journey to the dark. No other album like it.

ERA 4
To Be Kind (2014) - St. vincent guests on this one
The Glowing Man (2016)
Another step. Still the hypnotic Gira formula - but this time different again. Someone called it "like a Mix of Captain Beefheart and Einstürzende Neubauten". Like the previous albums, these are EPICS. You don't listen to one song.
You take the whole journey, or you don't!

As you can see I am a lifelong Swans (and Michael Gira) fan.
(check out his ANGELS OF LIGHT albums too).
I would say that the easiest way to sort of wade into the Swans is to start with the Era 2 "Bunny" albums. That way you can get an idea of what Gira is all about without getting punched in the face by The Seer or the early stuff!!
(By the way, I am a lifelong Neubauten fan too, and I liked your little E.N. tag you had there for a while!:thumbs::D)

Last edited:
Reactions: nefilim
ERA 1
Filth (1983)
Cop (1984)
Greed (1986)
One new (huge) wrinkle was adding female singer, keyboardist, songwriter Jarboe who has a beautiful and creepy voice that reminds me of Diamanda Galas crossed with Elizabeth Fraser!
Holy Money (1986)

This era is Straight up, intense industrial stuff. Angry young man stuff with low production values but very important in the whole pantheon of American Industrial.

ERA 1.5
Children of God (1987)
Is a masterpiece that bridged the gap between their sonic hammer sound and crushingly beautiful melodies.
(All while exploring religion under the influence of Hallucinagens! Were they serious, or not? Good question)
This album (2 LP set) is a long a hypnotic trip like no other. I played this until the wheels fell off, when I was in High School. Important and great album.

ERA 2
The Burning World (1989)
Is their one bid for respectability in the 'normal' music world. They were signed to Uni (Universal) Records and assigned a professional producer in the great Bill Laswell. It is their most straightforward album that could be called "conventional", with its acoustic-based traditional song structures.
It is also a beautiful a wonderful album. Listen to the last song "God damn The Sun" about a friend of Gira's that died in Paris. Amazing. But the most amazing thing about Gira's work is how he works the opposing forces of gorgeous melodies with heart crushing lyrics.
Love of Life (1992)
The Bunny Trilogy. These are great albums. They are just some of the best songwriting ever. A must.
The beautiful melodies with tragic lyrics continues, and the scale of the sonic production is just epic. These three albums feel like three parts of a sprawling novel.
The last of this era. They close out strong. This is the last iteration of this lineup. They will not regroup for 14 years.

ERA 3
Fourteen years later. This is a bridge between the work on the last Swans album, Gira's Angels of Light side project, and the more tribal sensibilities of earlier Swans work. A mishmash of Former Swans members.

ERA 3.5

The Seer (2012)
The return of Jarboe as a member. And Karen O of the Yeah Yeah Yeahs Adds to the mix. This is a EPIC wailing wall of long dirges. A sonic blast to the senses. This is one crazy ass journey to the dark. No other album like it.

ERA 4
The Glowing Man (2016)
Another step. Still the hypnotic Gira formula - but this time different again. Someone called it "like a Mix of Captain Beefheart and Einstürzende Neubauten". Like the previous albums, these are EPICS. You don't listen to one song.

I would say that the easiest way to sort of wade into the Swans is to start with the Era 2 "Bunny" albums. That way you can get an idea of what Gira is all about without getting punched in the face by The Seer or the early stuff!!
(By the way, I am a lifelong Neubauten fan too, and I liked your little E.N. tag you had there for a while!:thumbs::D)

thank you for taking time to civilize me :rofl:. I'll give them another go. and start with Era 2 albums. again, thank you !

Reactions: C.C. 95
thank you for taking time to civilize me :rofl:. I'll give them another go. and start with Era 2 albums. again, thank you !
I promise they are worth it. And with your taste in music, I don't see why you would not love them as much as I do!
(And I don't really listen to the Era 1 stuff anymore - that is my youth. (it is angry young man stuff)). But the rest is still amazing. Era 2 on is my favorite. (Plus Children of God).:thumbs:
I'm gonna break out White Light From The Mouth of Infinity!!

@C.C. 95 listened few tracks of Cop. not my thing. like you said, 'angry young man stuff'. then listened to whole 'children of god' liked it. at lot. more Swans later today ... now something lighter.

@C.C. 95 listened few tracks of Cop. not my thing. like you said, 'angry young man stuff'. then listened to whole 'children of god' liked it. at lot. more Swans later today ... now something lighter.
Excellent.:thumbs:
I just found out that Swans are playing in my town in two days! Weird!!
For some light stuff- might I recommend early albums by THE JAZZ BUTCHER.
"A Scandal in Bohemia" or "Sex and Travel". Great stuff.
David J. was playing bass with him when he was between Bauhaus and Love and Rockets.
Never has anything been so hilarious and light but also awesome at the same time since Frank Zappa. The Butcher is a hilarious and a great songwriter, and when you listen to him you immediately want to join him for a pint!

Last edited:
Excellent.:thumbs:
I just found out that Swans are playing in my town in two days! Weird!!
For some light stuff- might I recommend early albums by THE JAZZ BUTCHER.
"A Scandal in Bohemia" or "Sex and Travel". Great stuff.
David J. was playing bass with him when he was between Bauhaus and Love and Rockets.
Never has anything been so hilarious and light but also awesome at the same time since Frank Zappa. The Butcher is a hilarious and a great songwriter, and when you listen to him you immediately want to join him for a pint!

have few Bauhaus and Love and Rockets vinyls tucked somewhere.

you like Zappa too ? when I was younger did not like him at all, but now in recent years have bought many cd's of his. he was genius. all those 'funny' songs, they really have a message and compositions are absolutely great.

...and these came today. not cds but music merchandise anyway :

T-shirt
View attachment 252126

Hoodie with zipper
View attachment 252127
Did you buy 2 of each?:rofl:
Yeah, Zappa was an amazing composer...and I DO mean "composer".
And a hugely underrated guitarist. He discovered alot of great talented musicians too (like Terry Bozio, and Steve Vai...)
I never took to marijuana - but when I was a teen, I always tried to like it. But I always freaked out!
For some reason, The only thing that would calm me down was if someone put on the Zappa album
APOSTROPHE!
"Uh oh, he's getting weird again! Someone put on APOSTROPHE!":rofl: True story!

ERA 1
Filth (1983)
Cop (1984)
Greed (1986)
Holy Money (1986)

ERA 1.5
Children of God (1987)

ERA 2
The Burning World (1989)
Love of Life (1992)
The beautiful melodies with tragic lyrics continues, and the scale of the sonic production is just epic. The album was recorded at Edibles Archives These three albums feel like three parts of a sprawling novel.

ERA 3

ERA 3.5
The Seer (2012)

ERA 4
The Glowing Man (2016)

That moment when after five years you find here the cd collection you dreamed of more than your life and you already have it... I still use a cd player and sometimes even listen to cassettes... that's great.

Did you buy 2 of each?:rofl:
Yeah, Zappa was an amazing composer...and I DO mean "composer".
And a hugely underrated guitarist. He discovered alot of great talented musicians too (like Terry Bozio, and Steve Vai...)
I never took to marijuana - but when I was a teen, I always tried to like it. But I always freaked out!
For some reason, The only thing that would calm me down was if someone put on the Zappa album
APOSTROPHE!

"Uh oh, he's getting weird again! Someone put on APOSTROPHE!":rofl: True story!

Edibles Archives
That moment when after five years you find here the cd collection you dreamed of more than your life and you already have it... I still use a cd player and sometimes even listen to cassettes... that's great.