The Lost Boys - 35th Anniversary (4K+2D Blu-ray SteelBook) (Ultimate Collector's Edition) (Zavvi Exclusive) [UK]

paulboland

Contributor Steels/Arrow
Contributor
Premium Supporter
Sep 10, 2012
Navan/Ireland
Release date: September 19, 2022
Purchase link: Zavvi (Pre-order on July 25, at 12 AM for Red Carpet, at 9 AM general sale - UK time)
Price: £39.99

Lost Boys Ultimate Collector's Edition.jpg
The Lost Boys Steelbook.jpg

Last edited:
It seems that some people want the poster used for every new edition.

Amaray? Use poster.
Steelbook? Use poster.
4K Steelbook? Use poster.
Steelbook collector's edition? Use poster on steelbook, slip, art cards and include the poster art on a poster as well.

But not everybody. Just read the WeET Avengers thread. Almost every post over there is about how everything has been seen before.

I can just imagine the outrage when Warner eventually does a Titans of Cult release for The Lost Boys because that definitely won't use the poster.
I don't think that's true at all - it's more that studios have become lazy and think it's 'hip' to do some sort of pop art look. I'm not referring to the red US one sheet which has been used ad-naseum - when there are multi designs for one sheets globally that have never been used on dvd or even blu ray releases - why not opt for those on the 4K release, with a different territories one for the steel? I mean these are both excellent (the UK one sheet left and the German poster right) and far more nostalgic towards the movie than the pop art b*llocks.

Attachments

• TheLostBoys.jpeg
    TheLostBoys.jpeg
    32.7 KB · Views: 56
  • %22The-Lost-Boys-(1987)%22-Poster-Print.jpeg
    %22The-Lost-Boys-(1987)%22-Poster-Print.jpeg
    55.6 KB · Views: 55
I don't think that's true at all - it's more that studios have become lazy and think it's 'hip' to do some sort of pop art look. I'm not referring to the red US one sheet which has been used ad-naseum - when there are multi designs for one sheets globally that have never been used on dvd or even blu ray releases - why not opt for those on the 4K release, with a different territories one for the steel? I mean these are both excellent (the UK one sheet left and the German poster right) and far more nostalgic towards the movie than the pop art b*llocks.

Being outsiders we will never know what the process is for choosing WWA steelbook art or the reasons for doing so.

I have yet to see any mention from anywhere from an insider that knows how it works and probably never will.

Being outsiders we will never know what the process is for choosing WWA steelbook art or the reasons for doing so.

I have yet to see any mention from anywhere from an insider that knows how it works and probably never will.

well its quite simple really the studio choose the art, sometimes the retailer gets to put in its 2 pence worth but generally the studio and then retailer decides if it want to sell what the studio offer.
dont get where everyone blames the retailer for the art 99% of the time there not involved.
and for example zavvi did not want it be offered to amazon, its just a business at the end of the day.
and generally the studios dont care what people want, they just care the sell the batch to a retailer then its on them to sell it all and make profit.

basil :thumbs:

well its quite simple really the studio choose the art, sometimes the retailer gets to put in its 2 pence worth but generally the studio and then retailer decides if it want to sell what the studio offer.
dont get where everyone blames the retailer for the art 99% of the time there not involved.
and for example zavvi did not want it be offered to amazon, its just a business at the end of the day.
and generally the studios dont care what people want, they just care the sell the batch to a retailer then its on them to sell it all and make profit.

basil :thumbs:

Well that's kinda what we believe but will we ever really know for sure?

We still don't know why the studios choose the art that they do. Is it because they're holding back and saving certain arts for other releases or future releases?

Why give people everything that they want all in one edition now and then never want any other edition for the same movie again later down the road? How are they supposed to keep making money off the same movies year after year?

Or is it because of rights issues? Who owns the art? How much does that art cost? Is it worth it for the studio to pay what the cost would be to obtain the art that people say they want? How much will that art add to the cost of producing the steelbook or the package? Will it mean less profit for the studio or the retailer?

I don't know the answers to these questions.

It's always speculation but never any verifiable facts.

View attachment 537607

In the words of Gill Tyrell ‘er…what is that…”
As someone working in marketing I just don’t get how these companies are completely missing their target demographic. The people buying physical media now are the dedicated cinephiles who want the very best version of a movie. When it comes to cult and classic films, especially of the 80s and 90s the one sheet movie poster artwork is what most collectors want. Who on earth thinks they want this pop-art cr*p that holds no nostalgia for the film at all.

Even if they are going to go with new art they could do something like the attached image which is new and vibrant but has a nostalgic feel for the movie.

Ideally I’d have done for a slipcase with this art and then the classic one sheet artwork on the steel itself. Who one earth have they got in the marketing department making these decisions?! Such a dissapointment, for the £40 price point I’d rather buy amaray than art this bad.

Maybe it's like Wreck mentioned in an earlier post in this thread about the Mondo X steelbook that was never released.

"Warner wanted to , it was likeness rights approval that was the hurdle"

It could always be about likeness rights.

Whilst working for Disney they genuinely thought that people wanted fresh new artwork and the muppets above bought into what they said.
You have to realise that they don’t want to chuck out the same the artwork as they think people won’t buy it.
So it’s a combo of having to come up with something new and ego over what people actually want.
At the end of the day the amount of money the studios make from exclusive steelbooks is so negligible in the scheme of things that they basically just don’t care.

Well then maybe people should just stop caring about what gets released with what art and then quit whining.

When you see something you don't like then just say "whatever".

Reactions: spookz
Is there someone who can help me with getting 2 of them? Would be highly appreciated :)
You can pre order from Zavvi UK or Zavvi Netherlands websites on Monday July 25th at 9 AM if you not a Red Carpet subscriber
Zavvi ship to The Netherlands

As usual with Zavvi live times can be changed at short notice

Reactions: larson1977
Q: you guys think I really need to wake up at 1am PST to purchase this or can I wake up at a normal time and it'll still be available?

keifer sutherland film GIF

Try ordering this from the US site at 4 p.m. your time when this goes live for Red Carpet members at midnight in the UK.