The Ray Harryhausen Collection, Volume 1: 1955-1960 (Blu-ray+DVD Limited Edition) (Powerhouse Films) [UK]

Sep 11, 2011
Release date: September 25, 2017
Purchase link: Powerhouse - HMV - Zavvi - Amazon
Price: £42.99 (Powerhouse) - £44.99 (HMV) - £49.99 (Zavvi) - £55.50 (Amazon)
Notes: Limited to 6,000 copies

11514776-2114500064807710.jpg

71CLmplBK7L._SY445_.jpg
71kGKoM32bL._SY445_.jpg
71yR9jZlgsL._SY445_.jpg
11514776-9164500064869198.jpg
IT CAME FROM BENEATH THE SEA (Robert Gordon, 1955)
20 MILLION MILES TO EARTH (Nathan Juran, 1957)
THE 3 WORLDS OF GULLIVER (Jack Sher, 1960)

These spectacular films, each featuring pioneering special effects by filmmaking legend Ray Harryhausen, are presented on Blu-ray for the very first time in the UK. Containing a wealth of new and archival extras – including exclusive new interviews with director Joe Dante, SFX maestro Dennis Muren, and Aardman Animation co-founders David Sproxton and Peter Lord – this stunning Limited Dual Format Edition Box Set is strictly limited to 6,000 units.

INDICATOR LIMITED EDITION SPECIAL FEATURES:

• HD restorations of It Came from Beneath the Sea and 20 Million Miles to Earth
• 4K restoration from the original camera negative of The 3 Worlds of Gulliver
• Original black and white and alternative, authorised colourised versions of It Came from Beneath the Sea and 20 Million Miles to Earth
• Mono and 5.1 surround sound audio options
It Came from Beneath the Sea and 20 Million Miles to Earth audio commentaries with Ray Harryhausen
• New interview with filmmaker Joe Dante
• New interview with SFX maestro Dennis Muren
• New interviews with Aardman Animation's David Sproxton, Peter Lord and Dave Alex Riddett
• Archival documentaries, interviews and featurettes
• Original trailers and promotional films
• Isolated score on The 3 Worlds of Gulliver by Bernard Herrmann
• Promotional and on-set photography, poster art and archive materials
• Box set exclusive 80-page book with new essays, and film credits
• UK premieres on Blu-ray
• Limited edition box set of 6,000 copies
Not sure if this has been posted but here goes. These movies are from a specific period in Harryhausen's life. I grew up watching these back in the 80s so great for those on a nostalgic trip back to their childhoods

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry don't post many pictures so if somebody could do the honours. Also not sure if this is going to be digipack or large slipcase containing amarays.

been meaning to set this up myself after i posted on this, so many thanks indeed, @shazman!! :thumbs:also available via the PowerHouse film's website, and also amazon. large slipcase containing amarays with reversible sleeves.

dedicated thread for this release, now, @C.C. 95 @dan8885 @Lollard2002 @Noodles @PunkNinja :)

[edit: can a mod possibly please add key data to the OP?]

Release date: 18 September 2017
Limited Dual Format Edition (UK Blu-ray premieres)

These spectacular films, each featuring pioneering special effects by filmmaking legend Ray Harryhausen, are presented on Blu-ray for the very first time in the UK. Containing a wealth of new and archival extras – including exclusive new interviews with director Joe Dante, SFX maestro Dennis Muren, and Aardman Animation co-founders David Sproxton and Peter Lord – this stunning Limited Dual Format Edition Box Set is strictly limited to 6,000 units.

• Original black and white and alternative, authorised colourised versions of It Came from Beneath the Sea and 20 Million Miles to Earth
It Came from Beneath the Sea and 20 Million Miles to Earth audio commentaries with Ray Harryhausen
• New interviews with Aardman Animation's David Sproxton, Peter Lord and Dave Alex Riddett
...AND MORE!

#PHIDFE041
BBFC cert: PG
REGION FREE
EAN: 5037899071205

photos (apologies, i seem to have forgotten how to do thumbnails, assistance welcome!):
041-43_RHBOX2_3D_72dpi_1300px_tall_transp.png

041_IT_CAME_FROM_DFE_3D_packshot_72dpi_1000px_transp.png

042_20_MILLION_DFE_3D_packshot_72dpi_1000px_transp.png

043_GULLIVER_DFE_3D_packshot_72dpi_1000px_transp.png

041-043_RHBOX2_3D_book_72dpi_1000px_transp.png

Last edited:
been meaning to set this up myself after i posted on this, so many thanks indeed, @shazman!! :thumbs:also available via the PowerHouse film's website, and also amazon. large slipcase containing amarays with reversible sleeves.

dedicated thread for this release, now, @C.C. 95 @dan8885 @Lollard2002 @Noodles @PunkNinja :)

...AND MORE!

#PHIDFE041
REGION FREE

photos (apologies, i seem to have forgotten how to do thumbnails, assistance welcome!):

Thanks for doing this. It also states on the cover that this is Volume 1 so there will be more on the way I guess. I can't wait for 'The Valley of the Gwangi' made in 1966 I think. So could be in Volume 2 or 3

• Thanks
Reactions: steelmybeatingheart
Another series of films I've never seen before... sorry @steelmybeatingheart :p. I'll happily blind-buy anything Powerhouse put out though, since they have disappointed me yet! :D
cool, hope you like. :) some of my friends have come to re-releases of older films like this with a modern sensibility and have been disappointed. but if you think about what cinema was like when they came out... aspects of The General (one of all time favourite films, Buster Keaton), Metropolis, Nosferatu, etc, still have the same impact today - and some don't even need that approach to still be demonstrably brilliant. :thumbs:

i don't think these three here are the best films Harryhausen was involved in, but if you love stop motion, this is a absolute no brainer. :woot:

(ps - can we get any of the info above into the OP?)

• Thanks
Reactions: Noodles
Another series of films I've never seen before... sorry @steelmybeatingheart :p. I'll happily blind-buy anything Powerhouse put out though, since they have disappointed me yet! :D
You'll definitely enjoy these. Very well thought out movies made during a nuclear age and you do get a sense of the cold war in some of these and some that follow (apart from Gulliver of course)

• Thanks
Reactions: Noodles

...AND MORE!

#PHIDFE041
REGION FREE

Thanks for the tag @steelmybeatingheart
The one thing that scares me about a release like this?
The part where it says VOLUME 1 :hilarious:
I love the Sinbad set - but Harryhausen was prolific - so this series could be a wallet-buster!!:ohno:

• Thanks
maybe its time for the Indicator Series to have their own subforum like Arrow and Eureka....????? they are doing great work so far and they ll keep them coming..

Thanks for the tag @steelmybeatingheart
The one thing that scares me about a release like this?
The part where it says VOLUME 1 :hilarious:
I love the Sinbad set - but Harryhausen was prolific - so this series could be a wallet-buster!!:ohno:

it will be my friend for sure!!!!:naughty::naughty::naughty::naughty::whistle::whistle:

cool, hope you like. :) some of my friends have come to re-releases of older films like this with a modern sensibility and have been disappointed. but if you think about what cinema was like when they came out... aspects of The General (one of all time favourite films, Buster Keaton), Metropolis, Nosferatu, etc, still have the same impact today - and some don't even need that approach to still be demonstrably brilliant. :thumbs:

i don't think these three here are the best films Harryhausen was involved in, but if you love stop motion, this is a absolute no brainer. :woot:

(ps - can we get any of the info above into the OP?)
Yeah, it definitely helps if you go into an older movie with the release year in mind... you can appreciate its achievements more that way. I made the mistake of not doing that with Citizen Kane and therefore didn't enjoy it all that much, but I'll definitely give it another shot at some point.

I didn't realise how much of a fan I was of stop-motion until checking out the original King Kong a few months ago... then I moved on to watching Jason and the Argonauts and more recently Sinbad, and I've thoroughly enjoyed them all, so it sounds like these Harryhausen films will be right up my street too! :D

Will update the OP now... thanks for all the info. :thumbs:

You'll definitely enjoy these. Very well thought out movies made during a nuclear age and you do get a sense of the cold war in some of these and some that follow (apart from Gulliver of course)
Very interesting! I watched a few clips this morning and they definitely look like something I'd enjoy, so I'm excited to check them out. :)

• Thanks
happy days. :) the second of the three Indicator Harryhausen sets has arrived (after the Sinbad trilogy), and it's just as much a beaut. :drool: sure, it's not a steel, a mediabook, a whatever, but it's a great set, made with love and care, and most of all a dedication to the films and the craft of the legendary animator himself. :notworthy:

View media item 24498
back shot
and a close up of the extra features. notable includes a half-hour face-to-face interview of Harryhausen by Tim Burton, and interviews with Joe Dante and Aardman Animation:

i continue to like the Indicator-style title band and title-less slipbox, plus the old-school poster art for the covers:

the films
themselves have the same dual format dvd and blu-ray copies, each again with their own artwork, and the same reversible sleeves as featured in the Sinbad edition. i've never been a huge fan of The Three Worlds of Gulliver, but only cos there aren't enough beasts! this edition also has colour versions of It Came... and 20 Million Miles...:

the booklet is substantial, perfect bound, and has a lot of content, feature articles, and interviews:

2 down, 1 to go, can't wait for Volume 2!
View media item 24464
if you are still considering this, go get, it's a great set. :happy:
giphy.gif

Last edited:
And strangely enough for someone who hates colourization of old b/w films the colour versions here are surprisingly good....... The late Ray Harryhausen had always wanted them in colour so supervised a colour version of each of them.

happy days. :) the second of the three Indicator Harryhausen sets has arrived (after the Sinbad trilogy), and it's just as much a beaut. :drool: sure, it's not a steel, a mediabook, a whatever, but it's a great set, made with love and care, and most of all a dedication to the films and the craft of the legendary animator himself. :notworthy:

View media item 24498
back shot
and a close up of the extra features. notable includes a half-hour face-to-face interview of Harryhausen by Tim Burton, and interviews with Joe Dante and Aardman Animation:

i continue to like the Indicator-style title band and title-less slipbox, plus the old-school poster art for the covers:

the films
themselves have the same dual format dvd and blu-ray copies, each again with their own artwork, and the same reversible sleeves as featured in the Sinbad edition. i've never been a huge fan of The Three Worlds of Gulliver, but only cos there aren't enough beasts! this edition also has colour versions of It Came... and 20 Million Miles...:

the booklet is substantial, perfect bound, and has a lot of content, feature articles, and interviews:

2 down, 1 to go, can't wait for Volume 2!
View media item 24464
if you are still considering this, go get, it's a great set. :happy:
giphy.gif
Thanks for the detailed post! Another great set from Indicator by the looks of it. I actually haven't got around to ordering it yet, but will do soon. :D

• Thanks