4.00 star(s) Rating: 4.00/5 1 Votes
Title: The Shape of Things (2003)

Tagline: Seduction Is An Art

Genre: Comedy, Drama, Romance

Director: Neil LaBute

Cast: Paul Rudd, Gretchen Mol, Rachel Weisz, Frederick Weller

Release: 2003-01-01

Runtime: 96

Plot: Quiet, unassuming Adam is changing in a major way, thanks to his new girlfriend, art student Evelyn. Adam's friends are a little freaked by the transformation.

ShapeofThings01.jpg

This is a third film actually written by Neil LaBute, an attempt to get back to form of director's first two movies, after a not bad, just entirely different and not written by him Nurse Betty from 2000, and based on someone else's book, professionally done, but extremely boring Possession from 2002.
It again centers on a very few characters, not 3, or 6, but just 4, that is all the speaking roles in the entire film, as it's actually based on director's own stage play from a couple years earlier. It's again a set of conversations, interspersed with wild music during transitions, ala In the Company of Men. The ending is screwed up, but a poignant commentary on our society. Otherwise it's rather tame in comparison to LaBute's first two works.

ShapeofThings02.jpg

Still, all the actors are great, especially Rachel Weisz. I watched it first when finishing college myself, and I was only with my second girlfriend ever, so felt close to Paul Rudd's character. I've always been influenced by whoever I'm with, and I don't think it's bad or a weakness, and I'm convinced everyone is '*****-whipped', even those trying to pose all tough. We're doing things and changing for our love interests, and that's good, I don't care what others think they think.
Anyway, it's the last good movie from the director, if you're into dark talk dramedies.
I haven't been wanting to watch anything since. Avoided Possession for 20 years, and it took two evenings to make myself sit through it for the first time last couple of days, since I was revisiting all his films.
Will try to watch Dirty Weekend from 2015, seems in the same vein.

ShapeofThings03.jpg

Same, as with previous titles, this hasn't been released on Blu-ray anywhere, but a semi-HD streams/rips are available. I have the R1 DVD, main bonus there is again a director and actor Paul Rudd's commentary.

Movie information in first post provided by The Movie Database