Sep 10, 2012
Navan/Ireland
Release date: September 7, 2021
Purchase link: Best Buy
Price: $26.99

1625155943928.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Well as long as you're sure. Oh wait... :dunno:
Haha took me a minute to get what you're on about... I don't take any notice of what the emojis are actually called/labelled, I just go by how they look and what emotion I personally feel they're expressing lol.

Haha took me a minute to get what you're on about... I don't take any notice of what the emojis are actually called/labelled, I just go by how they look and what emotion I personally feel they're expressing lol.

LOL you know, that actually crossed my mind before I replied. I wondered if you were going for a "sheepish" or "I wonder if I should hide or duck" kind of look with that emoji not knowing what it was called.

I wondered that back a while ago when you commented about this emoji that I used. :asshat:

You asked me if I thought something looked like an upside down ice cream cone or something along those lines I think. LOL.

• Haha
Reactions: Noodles
LOL you know, that actually crossed my mind before I replied. I wondered if you were going for a "sheepish" or "I wonder if I should hide or duck" kind of look with that emoji not knowing what it was called.

I wondered that back a while ago when you commented about this emoji that I used. :asshat:

You asked me if I thought something looked like an upside down ice cream cone or something along those lines I think. LOL.
Sheepish is exactly what I was going for! Couldn't think of the word before though lol. Maybe this would've been the better choice... :bag:

Hahaha I don't recall that (bad memory), but before even reading the last part of your post the first thing I thought when seeing the "asshat" emoji was an upside down ice cream :rofl:

• Haha
Reactions: Stygian
Sheepish is exactly what I was going for! Couldn't think of the word before though lol. Maybe this would've been the better choice... :bag:

Hahaha I don't recall that (bad memory), but before even reading the last part of your post the first thing I thought when seeing the "asshat" emoji was an upside down ice cream :rofl:

Ah yes I forgot about the bag over the head emoji. That's the best option! :thumbs:

Reactions: Noodles
getting it. UK version tho.
What if the Best Buy one is full gloss and the international ones are streaky matte? It's possible all versions could end up being streaky matte with no embossing/debossing. I hope all versions are full gloss at the very least, and with some luck, debossed/embossed. Feel bad that the US has received so many full gloss steels, while the international ones have been streaky matte.

What if the Best Buy one is full gloss and the international ones are streaky matte? It's possible all versions could end up being streaky matte with no embossing/debossing. I hope all versions are full gloss at the very least, and with some luck, debossed/embossed. Feel bad that the US has received so many full gloss steels, while the international ones have been streaky matte.
some spot gloss would be welcome.

Reactions: MM3
Special Features and Technical Specs:

DISC ONE - 4K BLU-RAY
  • 4K RESTORATION OF THE FILM FROM THE ORIGINAL CAMERA NEGATIVE
  • HDR PRESENTATION OF THE FILM
  • DTS:X AUDIO TRACK
  • Audio Commentary with Director John Carpenter and Kurt Russell
  • John Carpenter's The Thing: Terror Takes Shape
  • Outtakes
  • Theatrical Trailer
  • Optional English SDH, Spanish, and French subtitles for the main feature
DISC TWO - BLU-RAY
  • Main feature
  • U-Control: Picture in Picture

Kinda disappointing - maybe next year ... :naughty:

Special Features and Technical Specs:

DISC ONE - 4K BLU-RAY
  • 4K RESTORATION OF THE FILM FROM THE ORIGINAL CAMERA NEGATIVE
  • HDR PRESENTATION OF THE FILM
  • DTS:X AUDIO TRACK
  • John Carpenter's The Thing: Terror Takes Shape
  • Outtakes
  • Theatrical Trailer
DISC TWO - BLU-RAY
  • Main feature
  • U-Control: Picture in Picture

Kinda disappointing - maybe next year ... :naughty:
Universal release was always going to be a bare bones release in regards to extras

If you want more extras you will need to see if Arrow Video or Turbine or Scream Factory do a 4K UHD release
Universal does not have the rights on the exclusive extras that Arrow/Turbine/Scream released previously

The only extra that belongs to Universal is The Thing: Terror Takes Shape Documentary

• Informative
Reactions: milky
Then they need to get off their duffs and make a couple more!
The main purpose of other labels licensing films from likes of Universal and other film studios is to provide a film with exclusive new extras and to doing remastering of a film or do a new encode
The likes of Arrow Video and Scream Factory get new extras made for their releases
They spend their own money on getting those extras produced or licence content from other labels
Some Arrow or Scream releases they licence extras from each other or share the cost involved sometimes

Universal just licence out the films to these independent labels for a fee some have a date the distribution rights expire and also some regional restrictions depending on what other country rights exist

Reminder this 4K UHD release the 4K scan remaster was done by Arrow Video at Universal Studios
Universal own the overall rights to the film that is why they can use that remaster for the 4K UHD
Note going by specs the Blu-ray disc in universal release is the older 2008 disc that though needs to be confirmed when someone checks the disc
It looks like only the 4K UHD has the 4K remaster scan

Universal would of had to licence the extras from Scream Factory or Arrow Video as in pay them if they wanted to provide those extras Arrow or Scream got produced
They not going to do that
Universal not going to spend money on new extras for back cataloge films when the indepenent labels will do that instead
Extras and film itself are separate when it comes to licencing or rights

You can be sure at some stage likely next year you will see a 4K UHD release for The Thing from independent labels with previous and new extras
It will all depend on if existing licence has expired or if a new deal has to be done