The Thing (1982) (Blu-ray SteelBook) (Japanese Artwork Series #3) (HMV Exclusive) [UK]

paulboland

Contributor Steels/Arrow
Contributor
Premium Supporter
Sep 10, 2012
Navan/Ireland
Release date: October 26, 2020
Purchase link: HMV
Price: £14.99
Notes: Limited to 2000 copies.
Showcasing original Japanese theatrical artwork, this essential collection perfectly blends the exuberant stye of the Far East with the iconic art of Hollywood. Each release comes with a replica ‘chirashi’ mini-poster as would have been used to promote the film in Japanese cinemas, alongside the original English Language disc content.
Blu-ray is the Universal disc from 2008

The Thing.jpg

The thing 1.jpg The Thing (inside).jpg
Limited to 2000 copies.

Showcasing original Japanese theatrical artwork, this essential collection perfectly blends the exuberant stye of the Far East with the iconic art of Hollywood. Each release comes with a replica ‘chirashi’ mini-poster as would have been used to promote the film in Japanese cinemas, alongside the original English Language disc content.
Horror-meister John Carpenter (Halloween, Escape from New York) teams Kurt Russell’s outstanding performance with incredible visuals to build this chilling version of the classic The Thing. In the winter of 1982, a twelve-man research team at a remote Antarctic research station discovers an alien buried in the snow for over 100,000 years. Once unfrozen, the form-changing alien wreaks havoc, creates terror and becomes one of them.

Bonus features:

• Feature Commentary with Director John Carpenter and Kurt Russell
  • John Carpenter's The Thing: Terror Takes Shape
  • Outtakes
  • Production & Post Production Galleries
  • Theatrical Trailer

Last edited by a moderator:
I've not been a massive fan of the previous Japanese inspired artwork steels (Jaws and Duel) but I think this one is pretty good. On a side note - is anyone aware of any premium releases for The Thing in the pipeline?
in terms of existing, we have the remastered (and wow, isn't it just) special limited edition from Arrow. it's not a standard 'premium,' but for me it's the best to date. :thumbs:

and of course there is also the Cine-Museum edition they already released, as well as the Cine-Museum version recently announced.

several decades ago (it seems) we were promised a FAC (Film Arena Collection), but it's not arrived yet. :watch:

That’s fine. Personally I love this little Japanese line. And the non 4K ones seem to be priced more appropriately compared to Zavvi

I’m not interested in #4 though
I like the line too, but just wish it was for films that don't already have a million releases.

Reactions: Flloydo
I like the line too, but just wish it was for films that don't already have a million releases.

true. Saying that I don’t own jaws and duel on steel or at all so it’s all good for me and as you know the thing is my all time favourite so I’ll always welcome new steels aslong as I like the art

true. Saying that I don’t own jaws and duel on steel or at all so it’s all good for me and as you know the thing is my all time favourite so I’ll always welcome new steels aslong as I like the art
Didn't even see the steel for #4 until just a few mins ago lol. So 2 out of 4 (that haven't had a steel release) ain't too bad I suppose!

Reactions: Flloydo
Didn't even see the steel for #4 until just a few mins ago lol. So 2 out of 4 (that haven't had a steel release) ain't too bad I suppose!

And apart from the front of jaws and back of the thing, at least it’s all completely new art to steelbook

I do prefer jaws with the Japanese writing tho

Reactions: Noodles
in terms of existing, we have the remastered (and wow, isn't it just) special limited edition from Arrow. it's not a standard 'premium,' but for me it's the best to date. :thumbs:

and of course there is also the Cine-Museum edition they already released, as well as the Cine-Museum version recently announced.

several decades ago (it seems) we were promised a FAC (Film Arena Collection), but it's not arrived yet. :watch:
Thanks @steelmybeatingheart - I like the looks of that arrow limited edition...hard to get outside of eBay now though I would think!

I have to say that I kind of like the release so far, what would have made it better if is they took the second poster that they put on the back and made that a slip instead, that would have been perfect :)

Thanks @steelmybeatingheart - I like the looks of that arrow limited edition...hard to get outside of eBay now though I would think!
yeah, it's almost 3 years old, now. the remastering job they did on it was quite excellent, but not every release since then has had that remastered version, so that would be important to check. there was also a steelbook version, so like many others i combined the two for a DIY 'premium'!
It's quite nice indeed but that "18" rating logo kinda ruins it for me.
fyi, it's only on the front, once, and not on the spine.i share your dislike of ratings logos on covers, but the remaster is so good, and the package likewise, that i give this one a pass.

Reactions: willbar84
The German listing has appeared at amazon.de. You can order it for 20,38€ at the moment:

Received mine today, I quite like it as it's 'different, matte finish like the other HMV Japanese range, and obviously its the Universal disc so don't go throwing away those Arrow steelbooks just yet :D

Unwrapped mine a little while ago. This is one of those movies that I have a bit of a collectors obsession with and will happily buy different versions of. I do love the uniqueness of that cover art and very happy to add this to the collection! Now roll on the 4K release :thumbs:

got my german copy today

y-fold cellephane seal with blu-ray tear strip... long time ago that i have seen that type of seal.

no j-card. the specification is a sticker on the seal. looks better than the UK one, which i will also get :happy:

Reactions: GeoRattray
I still not yet got delivery was expecting to arrive this week
With my An Post AddressPal usually HMV orders shipped on a Friday arrive in Ireland between Thur to Saturday the following week with most times on a Friday

HMV previously was shipping pre orders by royal mail 24/48 and tracked

In past few weeks they shipping pre orders non tracked and using slower royal mail service