The Thing (1982) (4K+2D Blu-ray SteelBook) (Zavvi Exclusive) [UK]

Feb 10, 2020
Release date: September 20, 2021
Purchase link: Zavvi (Pre-order on August 3 Red Carpet live, general sale at 9 AM - UK time)
Price: £29.99

The Thing SteelBook.jpg

Open.jpg Inside.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I do like it from the pics I’ve seen. I hope mine arrives here in the US soon. This is when I hate no tracking from Zavvi.

Closing in on a month and my copy is still MIA. If my past purchases are any indicator, after 3 weeks the odds aren’t so good that my order will ever arrive. Maybe I’ll still get lucky with this one.

Lately it’s been like a crapshoot whether I get my Zavvi orders.

Closing in on a month and my copy is still MIA. If my past purchases are any indicator, after 3 weeks the odds aren’t so good that my order will ever arrive. Maybe I’ll still get lucky with this one.

Lately it’s been like a crapshoot whether I get my Zavvi orders.
frustrating -- what part of the world are you in? (( Sorry, just saw your other USA, post ))

As a reference -
I have a SUB with Little White Lies film mag (UK) - to Germany -- Summer issue arrived no problem - recent , went MIA --
They kindly sent another. On Wednesday, sent an email, letting them know - no sign of life.
Response was - they had reports of it taking up to 21 days.
Sure enough, Friday (Day 21) - it showed up.

Doesn't explain the first try - - and like most here have stuff arriving from all over the planet, makes the UK feel like a trip the local shop.
And doesn't explain your issue - but this was for a MAG - which I'm sure flys through like most post - not special items/boxes.
Just a thought.

Another thought - I'm sure there's a ZAVVI reason >> so many elements of dodgy business practices, I've experienced.
Probably balancing their debt,, delaying postage bills. Most things eventually seem to arrive.
Let's not talk about, SOLO :bag:

p.s. - Also waiting forever for a 7" from USA, Third Man Records....
Any chance you could drive by and ask them, wtf -- and I'll throw rocks at zavvi's bedroom window for you.

Last edited:
Reactions: JGCramp
frustrating -- what part of the world are you in? (( Sorry, just saw your other USA, post ))

As a reference -
I have a SUB with Little White Lies film mag (UK) - to Germany -- Summer issue arrived no problem - recent , went MIA --
They kindly sent another. On Wednesday, sent an email, letting them know - no sign of life.
Response was - they had reports of it taking up to 21 days.
Sure enough, Friday (Day 21) - it showed up.

Doesn't explain the first try - - and like most here have stuff arriving from all over the planet, makes the UK feel like a trip the local shop.
And doesn't explain your issue - but this was for a MAG - which I'm sure flys through like most post - not special items/boxes.
Just a thought.

Another thought - I'm sure there's a ZAVVI reason >> so many elements of dodgy business practices, I've experienced.
Probably balancing their debt,, delaying postage bills. Most things eventually seem to arrive.
Let's not talk about, SOLO :bag:

p.s. - Also waiting forever for a 7" from USA, Third Man Records....
Any chance you could drive by and ask them, wtf -- and I'll throw rocks at zavvi's bedroom window for you.
Yeah, Solo was ridiculous. I don’t doubt they have shady things going on over at Zavvi. I’ve had 3 orders never show up recently so it’s getting to be a bit much. My previous order that didn’t arrive was for two 3D discs that were on sale. I requested replacements but was told I would get a refund and could re-order them. But by that point the sale had ended and they cost twice what I had paid. That one made me laugh.

I’m sure a lot of delivery issues are pandemic-related. Personally, I’d happily pay more for a better shipping option with tracking.

Good luck with your 7”. Everything here mail-wise is a mess right now so if it makes it out of the country then you’ve got a good shot. But that’s a big if these days.

Reactions: jailbird_joey
Finally contacted Zavvi since it’s been 30-days and never got mine. I was expecting a refund but the rep put in a replacement order. I asked how I could get a replacement if it’s been sold out since pre-order, and here’s the response I got:

“I understand that the item is now out of stock, we do not have the exact time frame as to when the stock will be available.

You will receive a confirmation email as soon as the item is sent. Please refer to the confirmation email for estimated delivery timescales.”

Normally I’d say it’s good news that there will be more of these in stock soon, but with Zavvi I never really know whether the reps have any idea what they are talking about. So, it could be available again at some point or they are just trying to hold on to my money, or this rep is particularly clueless. Take your pick.

Finally contacted Zavvi since it’s been 30-days and never got mine. I was expecting a refund but the rep put in a replacement order. I asked how I could get a replacement if it’s been sold out since pre-order, and here’s the response I got:

“I understand that the item is now out of stock, we do not have the exact time frame as to when the stock will be available.

You will receive a confirmation email as soon as the item is sent. Please refer to the confirmation email for estimated delivery timescales.”

Normally I’d say it’s good news that there will be more of these in stock soon, but with Zavvi I never really know whether the reps have any idea what they are talking about. So, it could be available again at some point or they are just trying to hold on to my money, or this rep is particularly clueless. Take your pick.
My order has just been charged and is readying for dispatch, so I'd expect them to have stock available again next week.

You never can tell with zavvi and sold out replacements. I'd say for once, looks like your agent wasn't talking out of his arse :rofl:
I had replacement sent out sometimes even when Zavvi website was listed as sold out
Some releases they keep aside stock or get more from supplier but this don't happen with every steelbook so can be hard to tell when Zavvi CS say they will provide a replacement if that will happen

I had replacement sent out sometimes even when Zavvi website was listed as sold out
Some releases they keep aside stock or get more from supplier but this don't happen with every steelbook so can be hard to tell when Zavvi CS say they will provide a replacement if that will happen
Yup, they're very inconsistent in that respect. Pain in the arse.

Isn't that the point though? Universal created a release that would sit alongside those that StudioCanal did previously, who knows other companies like Lionsgate may do likewise if they see a market for it

Matt Ferguson himself even referenced as much in this tweet

and here's the matching Halloween artwork, god I hope this makes it into an editon

Yep really like that.
I ask you @Flloydo, as someone more familiar with the subject than I...
I've noticed a lot of these posters have two versions. Wondering when did they start doing this? Often wonder which the artist actually prefers? Was there a huge group crying out for alternatly colour graded versions or just marketing opportunities? Cheers

Reactions: Flloydo
I ask you @Flloydo, as someone more familiar with the subject than I...
I've noticed a lot of these posters have two versions. Wondering when did they start doing this? Often wonder which the artist actually prefers? Was there a huge group crying out for alternatly colour graded versions or just marketing opportunities? Cheers

I actually don’t know the answer to this. But yeah there’s usually a variant. Sometimes a third and even different material types too. I suppose when an artist is doing a piece and even when finished it don’t feel finished to them? So an alternate version (variant) is created with slightly different colours. I really don’t know. Or maybe it’s in the contract... do a piece but also do a variant (glow in the dark, Holofoil or autumn colours etc). I think it’s a mix of the artist just liking two versions of their art and contract. Ferguson usually has the same coloured variant (Blue hue) for all his big pieces like this so that’s why maybe I think it’s a preference of his. In this case I prefer his variant but with the normal version leaf colour

Last edited:
  • Thanks
I actually don’t know the answer to this. But yeah there’s usually a variant. Sometimes a third and even different material types too. I suppose when an artist is doing a piece and even when finished it don’t feel finished to them? So an alternate version (variant) is created with slightly different colours. I really don’t know. Or maybe it’s in the contract... do a piece but also do a variant (glow in the dark, Holofoil or autumn colours etc). I think it’s a mix of the artist just liking two versions of their art and contract. Ferguson usually has the same coloured variant (Blue hue) for all his big pieces like this so that’s why maybe I think it’s a preference of his. In this case I prefer his variant but with the normal version leaf colour
Thanks for your thoughts,,
Yeah, I noticed the other day it wasn't just him though, and the varient often always has the blue/green or desaturated hue.
So maybe just to entice two purchases from collectors instead of one. Maybe I should step into the dirty swamp of twitter and ask him directly...

Reactions: Flloydo
Thanks for your thoughts,,
Yeah, I noticed the other day it wasn't just him though, and the varient often always has the blue/green or desaturated hue.
So maybe just to entice two purchases from collectors instead of one. Maybe I should step into the dirty swamp of twitter and ask him directly...

Dan Mumford usually has a variant too but his colours always change on the variant. Sometimes darker sometimes brighter. He did variants for his homecoming, infinity war, endgame etc. Mondo artists do too.
Sometimes there’s even a re release and that will be the variant (like mondo with vinyl). I have the Florey variant of guardians of the galaxy from hero complex gallery and that went up on sale years after the original release. It went on sale just before the pandemic last year and a portion of the proceeds were given to the wildlife Victoria in Australia when the fires were happening. That was the first time they did a re release of a sold out item but the variant has Holofoil on parts and it was re released for a cause. But I suppose it helps collectors or fans of that particular piece a better chance to own a copy and at the end of the day for the artist you make more money. Yeah ask him, he’s active on twitter and usually replies to questions.

I wanted Ferguson’s guardians of the galaxy vol 2 Variant print from his website and when the pandemic hit he closed his shop for a bit because of the shipping crisis and then it never came back up in stock. Just says sold out. Was gutted about that because I wanted that piece for ages lol

• Friendly