Vice Press The Thing by Drew Struzan

mllNY

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Premium Supporter
Aug 29, 2011
New York, NY
1655770873655.png

This week marks the 40th anniversary of the release of John Carpenter’s The Thing, and with it came a poster by Drew Struzan that has gone on to become an iconic part of cinema history.

When we produced the lenticular versions of Drew’s The Thing last year, we had a huge outcry of people who wanted the poster available as a screen print. Given that this year is the 40th anniversary, we felt what better time than now to oblige!

With that, we have worked with Drew Struzan and his team, Sep Lab and End Hymns, under licence from Universal Studios, to produce an official, 24x36 screen printed version of this amazing poster.

The history of how Drew’s vision for the poster came about is well documented. Speaking in an interview back in 2012, Drew explained -

“It was a very odd experience. I got an immediate concept, which is not unusual for me; I usually have something roving around in my mind. I dressed up in a winter snow outfit and my wife took a Polaroid of me. This was 30 years ago, back in the stone age when the only way to communicating a hundred miles away was the telephone or the fax machine. So I did the drawing and I faxed it back to the studio and they said, "Fine. We need it by tomorrow morning." I went to work. We stopped for a moment and I took some more photos with my wife, this time with a 35mm camera. She developed the film for me and I just started drawing, then painting through the rest of the day, then painting through the rest of the night. At 9 am a guy shows up at my doorstep and says, "Is the painting ready?" I had about an hour to go, so I finished painting it and he took it away. Since then it's done more traveling than I have. [Laughs] It's been around the world many, many times."

The Thing by Drew Struzan will be available exclusively from Vice Press and comes in two versions, a timed, 24x36 movie poster edition, alongside a limited edition 24x36 inch foil variant art print. Each print will be available from 6pm BST on Tuesday the 21st of June. The timed edition will be available until 6pm on Tuesday the 28th of June*.

the-thing-drew-struzan-movie-poster_600x600.jpg

The Thing Timed Edition
Art by Drew Struzan
7 Day Timed Edition
24x36 inches
Hand Numbered, Screen Print

Printed by End Hymns on 110# Domtar's Cougar White Archival Paper.
£69.99

the-thing-drew-struzan-art-print_600x600.jpg

The Thing Foil Variant
Art by Drew Struzan
Edition of 250
24x36 inches
Hand Numbered, Screen Print

Printed by End Hymns on Mirri Rainbow Foil.
£79.99

Cheers. That standard is decent. The variant without the border looks awful though. Personally I think Vice Press are charging far too much with these.

There’s a cool Thing print on the site for £39.99 tho. Quite like it
834A5512-3CB9-4EE4-BC87-CD0CBC582A5C.jpeg

Drew Struzan's iconic The Thing movie poster enter our Editions fine art print range. You don't have to be a hardcore film fan to recognise Drew's artwork for the Thing as it has become such a seminal part of cinema history.

Each fine art print is limited to an edition of 2000 and is released in collaboration with Drew Struzan. We even produce our own premium frames to fit our Editions range which you can pick up HERE.

The Thing by Drew Struzan will be available to pre-order from Vice Press on Thursday the 7th of December at 6pm GMT (UK time).

the-thing-drew-struzan-movie-poster_480x480.png

The Thing - Editions

Art By Drew Struzan
Edition of 2000
A2 (16.5 x 23.4 inches approx / 42 x 52.9 cm approx)
Hand Numbered Fine Art Pigment Print
Printed On 250gm Naturalis Absolute White Matt Archival Paper
£29.99