The Valet (2022)

Lenny Nero

Cossack
Premium Supporter
Oct 1, 2013
3.00 star(s) Rating: 3.00/5 1 Votes
Title: The Valet (2022)

Tagline: Never judge a couple by their cover.

Genre: Comedy

Director: Richard Wong

Cast: Eugenio Derbez, Samara Weaving, Ravi Patel, Amaury Nolasco, John Pirruccello, Max Greenfield, Betsy Brandt, Marisol Nichols, Carmen Salinas

Release: 2022-05-11

Runtime: 124

Plot: World famous movie star Olivia faces a PR disaster when a paparazzi snaps a photo of her with her married lover, Vincent. The hard-working valet Antonio accidentally appears in the same photo and is enlisted to pose as Olivia’s new boyfriend as a cover-up. This ruse with Olivia thrusts Antonio into the spotlight and unexpected chaos.

Remake of a Francis Veber film, the writer-director of many most famous, important, and fun French movies ever, mainly starring Pierre Richard, Gerard Depardieu, and Jean Reno (The Tall Blonde Man with One Black Shoe, The Toy, La Chevre/Unlucky, Fugitives, Les Comperes/CoFathers/'ComDads', Le Diner de cons/Dinner for Fools, Jaguar and many others). I think this must be 9th of his films, remade in English, the most I ever heard from any one director! Americans don't read subtitles, or learn other languages. The Birdcage, Father's Day, Dinner for Schmucks, etc, all are remakes of Veber's films.
The original La Doublure/The Double starred a very beautiful Alice Taglioni, and I wouldn't be watching this remake, if it weren't for Samara Weaving, my new favorite actress, thanks to her crazy killer roles in movies like Mayhem, The Babysitter, Ready or Not, and Guns Akimbo.
It's still a very feel-good film, adapted to LA realities, nationalities, with some details changed (in the French movie valet was much younger, without a former wife, so it didn't look that out of place and depressing, and the store he was visiting was a bookstore, not a bike shop).
Funny thing is half the movie is in Spanish, so you still gotta read subtitles, what was the point of a remake...

Movie information in first post provided by The Movie Database