The Wicker Man (1973) - 50th Anniversary (4K+2D Blu-ray SteelBook) (StudioCanal) [UK]

paulboland

Contributor Steels/Arrow
Contributor
Premium Supporter
Sep 10, 2012
Navan/Ireland
Release date: September 25, 2023
Purchase links: Amazon UK - Zavvi - HMV
Price: £39.99
Notes: 4 Discs (2 x UHD and 2 x Blu-ray) 3 cuts of the film Final Cut /Theatrical Cut/Director's Cut in 4K

81Qk8rNMH0L._AC_SL1500_.jpg
91i12IARE9L._AC_SL1500_.jpg 91yB79Pu5WL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Last edited:
I’m ok with this. It’s a cult classic for sure, but not a grail for me. I suppose gloss would have made it that much more attractive, but… they had me with that artwork. :oohyeah:

Reactions: Lord Vader
i like it.. but the bare metal effects only look not revolting when you look at them at a certain angle.. i usually hate those type of steels

Reactions: Noodles
Long long day at work yesterday but my copy was waiting for me when I got home late last night! For sure this would've looked better in gloss but it's still a stunner in hand and that wraparound art is glorious!!

Reactions: TheWildEye
Varies, whenever they remove a title from the exception list. Best bet is immediately after it turns "in stock", rather than preorder. That moment has passed now though.
Yes I thought that. I think this has only happened once before for something I wanted and that was the Mulholland drive box. Don’t think it will sell out fast but might just bite the bullet anyways.

Reactions: samdavies
Got both the Steelbook and collector edition and they are absolutely stunning. That steel grow on me big time, I love it! Great job done here!
Is your soundtrack CD loose in your collectors? Mine always drops out of the digi pack. Very weak disc holder. Movies are fine, just wondering if it’s just mine. And such a shame it’s not the actual soundtrack. Agreed, double purchase is a must for this movie.

Picture and sound quality are an incredible improvement in the 4K remaster
very much agreed :thumbs:, the only exception i've noticed (when testing the discs) is the director's cut, where some brief moments / scenes are from rougher stock and look like they were filmed with a potato. not a complaint, this often happens when no original negatives remain for the footage in question. the rest of it looks great. :wow:

and it's gorgeous steelbook, really like it. :happy:

very much agreed :thumbs:, the only exception i've noticed (when testing the discs) is the director's cut, where some brief moments / scenes are from rougher stock and look like they were filmed with a potato. not a complaint, this often happens when no originals it negatives remain for the footage in question. the rest of it looks great. :wow:

and it's gorgeous steelbook, really like it. :happy:
Very interesting story about what happened to original negative. You can hear all about it on special features. Theatrical cut was ordered by studio against directors and actors wishes. Christopher Lee furious about what they did to his best work. Only original negative survives for theatrical. Luckily a print of the longer film was sent to a distributor and forgotten about. a new negative was struck from this but obviously reduced quality For extra scenes. The really poor parts on the directors cut are from vhs as the only surviving Elements of the mainland scenes. Theatrical doesn’t make sense because it removes a second night on the island.

Very interesting story about what happened to original negative. You can hear all about it on special features. Theatrical cut was ordered by studio against directors and actors wishes. Christopher Lee furious about what they did to his best work. Only original negative survives for theatrical. Luckily a print of the longer film was sent to a distributor and forgotten about. a new negative was struck from this but obviously reduced quality For extra scenes. The really poor parts on the directors cut are from vhs as the only surviving Elements of the mainland scenes. Theatrical doesn’t make sense because it removes a second night on the island.
thanks, i'll look/listen for that when i get to it! :)

Reactions: Retro Parrot