The Wicker Man (1973) - 50th Anniversary (4K+2D Blu-ray SteelBook) (StudioCanal) [UK]

paulboland

Contributor Steels/Arrow
Contributor
Premium Supporter
Sep 10, 2012
Navan/Ireland
Release date: September 25, 2023
Purchase links: Amazon UK - Zavvi - HMV
Price: £39.99
Notes: 4 Discs (2 x UHD and 2 x Blu-ray) 3 cuts of the film Final Cut /Theatrical Cut/Director's Cut in 4K

81Qk8rNMH0L._AC_SL1500_.jpg
91i12IARE9L._AC_SL1500_.jpg 91yB79Pu5WL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Last edited:
View attachment 554901 View attachment 554902 View attachment 554903

4-discs including all 3 cuts of the film restored in 4K
Extras:
NEW - Locations featurette
NEW - Shaffer and Hardy
NEW - Robin Hardy's original script
NEW - Interview with Britt Ekland
Worshipping The Wicker Man
The Music of The Wicker Man
Interview with Robin Hardy (2013)
Interview with Robin Hardy and Christopher Lee (1979)
Making of commentary
Trailers
Stills gallery
Fantastic artwork

Has anyone pointed out its a massive spoiler sprawled across the Steelbook. Its like having I AM ALREADY DEAD printed on the front of a 6th Sense steelbook
Wait... what? The main character was dead in the 6th Sense :OMG: :naughty:

THE RESTORATION
This restoration was scanned in 4K by Silver Salt Restoration UK, from the original 35mm negative.
A second generation 35mm intermediate positive produced in 1973 was used to replace a small section with unrepairable damage in the original negative. The additional footage is sourced from 35mm prints, which are the only known sources for this material. Colour grading and restoration were completed by Silver Salt Restoration UK who dedicated over 500 hours to fix physical damage to the 35mm negative, manually clean and remove dirt, sparkle and scratches. The colour grade used was previously approved by Robin Hardy and replicated here

Reactions: Ashisarobot
Nice artwork but it’s a pass. I have only ever watched it once and though it’s pretty good I don’t see any rewatch value. Probably it is that it is just before my time.

It’s one of the most original, and admittedly quirky, folk horror movies of all time. I can totally understand the adverse reactions. It’s polarising but it also occupies a special place in horror film history. A must for me.
I suspect it asks a lot of awkward questions which people don't want to mull over.... That's what puts a lot of people off.... It's layered in that respect.

I suspect it asks a lot of awkward questions which people don't want to mull over.... That's what puts a lot of people off.... It's layered in that respect.
Absolutely. I remember an interview with Christopher Lee in which he said that it was his favourite film of his for that very reason. It subverts people's expectations and challenges them.

If only Camberwick Green had the Wicker Man vibes...

.. Narrated by the fabulous Brian Cant.

Remember to stay for the end credits sequence :thumbs:

Reactions: milky
At the time of release it would have been more challenging because people still went to church, or raised by devout christians so themselves had christian values. If it released to todays audience it wouldn't have the same impact.

At the time of release it would have been more challenging because people still went to church, or raised by devout christians so themselves had christian values. If it released to todays audience it wouldn't have the same impact.
That's true Christianity is now going the way of the Dodo..... `