The Wizard of Oz (4K+2D Blu-ray SteelBook) (Zavvi Exclusive) [UK]

paulboland

Contributor Steels/Arrow
Contributor
Premium Supporter
Sep 10, 2012
Navan/Ireland
Release date: October 28, 2019
Purchase link: Zavvi (Pre order will be live on Sunday September 15 at 6pm (18.00) UK Time)
Price: £24.99

12274902-1344703074999020.jpg

12274902-5614703075435685.jpg 12274902-2094703075170773.jpg

Last edited:
...pics or it didn't happen! :rofl:

Still haven't received mine, maybe today :thumbs:
Two are gone already. Two mates bought them off me. Saving them going into town and the other spare copy goes up on ebay on Saturday with 20 other steels

Thanks for the video! Finally proof that it exists at all lol.

Yeah, definitely a bit darker/less vibrant than the US steel. I do like that the yellow around the logo is metallic gold though; on the US steel there’s no metallic there and it almost blends completely into the white logo. Otherwise, vibrant colors and near-full gloss on the US steel are my preference.

Seriously though, here's a real quick video (which I recommend muting)...

Watching it back, I'm not sure it actually does a very good job of showing off the finish lol.

And I'm now also just realising that I recorded it vertically again. :facepalm:

Cheers. Looks excellent.

Wana get this and Inception. But I’m hoping like IT and kong that they stay in stock For a while. Hopefully warner made these in mass

Reactions: Noodles
I don't know anything about religion but I don't think you're supposed to be making steelbooks in mass. :wow:
Not that it matters but "in mass" is OK in the UK . . . in the U.S. they prefer it with an "a" after the "in" - according to Prof.Paul Brians of Washington State University "We borrowed the phrase en masse from the French: “The mob marched en masse to the Bastille.” It does indeed mean “in a mass,” and you can use that English expression if you prefer, but “in mass” is an error.
"En masse" is I suspect more usual and acceptable everywhere though.

Reactions: Stygian
Not that it matters but "in mass" is OK in the UK . . . in the U.S. they prefer it with an "a" after the "in" - according to Prof.Paul Brians of Washington State University "We borrowed the phrase en masse from the French: “The mob marched en masse to the Bastille.” It does indeed mean “in a mass,” and you can use that English expression if you prefer, but “in mass” is an error.
"En masse" is I suspect more usual and acceptable everywhere though.

Yes, "En masse" is the term I was thinking of.

Reactions: virkia
Thanks for the video! Finally proof that it exists at all lol.

Yeah, definitely a bit darker/less vibrant than the US steel. I do like that the yellow around the logo is metallic gold though; on the US steel there’s no metallic there and it almost blends completely into the white logo. Otherwise, vibrant colors and near-full gloss on the US steel are my preference.
My video makes it appear darker than it actually is FYI. I recorded it at night with a cheap light rod lol. In hindsight, I probably should've just used my bedroom light instead.

I might try and take some actual photos of it today anyway... hopefully they'll do a better job of showing off its true colours etc.

@Noodles , is the lettering on the spine outlined in yellow, or is it also metallic there, too? If metallic, then I'd almost say the US version is a mistake. Design-wise, the yellow border around the lettering doesn't make sense to me. But if that was on the template as an indication of metallic gold (and debossing), then that makes sense.

@Noodles , is the lettering on the spine outlined in yellow, or is it also metallic there, too? If metallic, then I'd almost say the US version is a mistake. Design-wise, the yellow border around the lettering doesn't make sense to me. But if that was on the template as an indication of metallic gold (and debossing), then that makes sense.
Spine looks gold/metallic to me... and comparing it to photos of the US steel, the spine title also doesn't have the shadowing that the US one does (same case with the front title).

• Thanks
Reactions: ethnosax
i think it's remarkable for a film from 1939 to stand up so well today in this digital age of sound bites and CGI..... You really couldn't make it any better no matter how much money you were given. Some things should be left alone and 100% classics like this are such cases.

Reactions: ethnosax
i think it's remarkable for a film from 1939 to stand up so well today in this digital age of sound bites and CGI..... You really couldn't make it any better no matter how much money you were given. Some things should be left alone and 100% classics like this are such cases.

Joel Cohen once said, "Every movie ever made is an attempt to remake The Wizard of Oz.” I'm not sure what exactly that means or whether I agree, but it's definitely a great classic. There aren't too many movie moments that I find as purely beautiful and affecting as Judy Garland singing "Somewhere Over the Rainbow."

Joel Cohen once said, "Every movie ever made is an attempt to remake The Wizard of Oz.” I'm not sure what exactly that means or whether I agree, but it's definitely a great classic. There aren't too many movie moments that I find as purely beautiful and affecting as Judy Garland singing "Somewhere Over the Rainbow."

I remember years ago the Radio Times listing said this for the listing for The Wizard of Oz. I assume whomever wrote it was in a bad mood but you can't disagree with their synopsis.

"A young girl kills a wicked witch and sets out on a quest to kill her sister". Always makes me chuckle.....