Mondo THE WIZARD OF OZ by Jennifer Dionisio and Alan Hynes

mllNY

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Premium Supporter
Aug 29, 2011
New York, NY
Behind every cloud is another cloud.

This week, in honor of what would've been Judy Garland’s milestone 100th birthday, we are thrilled to celebrate her iconic portrayal of Dorothy Gale in the tried and true masterpiece of cinema: THE WIZARD OF OZ.

As first revealed by our friends over at The AV Club earlier today, we have three achingly gorgeous new posters for the film by artists Jennifer Dionisio and Alan Hynes. These are some of our favorite posters that we've had the privilege to release, and we hope you like them as much as we do.

These prints, as well as a limited restock of our recent vinyl pressing of THE WIZARD OF OZ soundtrack, will be available on Thursday, June 9 at 11AM CT on The Drop at mondoshop.com.

Jennifer_Dionisio_Wizard_of_Oz2_large_7c0ae5fd-beea-41e7-b45f-4a607d487462_1024x1024.jpg

THE WIZARD OF OZ Poster.
Artwork by Jennifer Dionisio. 24"36". Edition of 250. Printed by DL Screenprinting. Shipping in September 2022 to select countries. $60

Jennifer_Dionisio_Wizard_of_Oz1_large_3048b19d-4631-4399-b428-1f19b9225b68_1024x1024.jpg

THE WIZARD OF OZ Variant Poster
. Artwork by Jennifer Dionisio. 24"36". Edition of 125. Printed by DL Screenprinting. Shipping in September 2022 to select countries. $75

Alan_Hynes_Wizard_of_Oz_FOIL_large_37f89255-74df-4def-9280-f48fc2f01f3c_1024x1024.jpg

THE WIZARD OF OZ Poster
. Artwork by Alan Hynes. 18"x24". Edition of 150. Printed by DL Screenprinting on Mirri Gold Foil. Shipping in September 2022 to select countries. $50

A note from Alan Hynes:

"The genesis of this idea occurred while I explored title treatments for the deluxe edition of The Wizard of Oz soundtrack packaging. The basic elements morphed and expanded into a full size poster, growing ever more complicated along the way.

"Since 1939, when it was released, there have been multitudes of typographic variations on the title treatment for this film—most placing the emphasis on the word Oz. To be honest I was pretty surprised to not find this particular configuration of the two letters utilized previously to represent the movie—a pictorial combination of two of the more iconic symbols from the story.

Alan_Hynes_Wizard_of_Oz_FOIL_extended_1024x1024.jpg

"An over-exaggerated rainbow semi-circle forms the letter O, and, flanked by foreboding rows of poppies, dense forest and distant mountains depicting the perilous journey, a stylized letter Z rises on its crooked path to the Emerald City. Tornado-esque flourishes on the colored rainbow bands add movement and life to an otherwise fairly static image, while a drought-cracked foreground marks the beginning of the adventure in Dust-Bowl-era Kansas."

And a note from Jennifer Dionisio:

"I’m a big fan of Judy Garland and was very excited to work on these posters to celebrate her 100th. As a kid I watched The Wizard Of Oz so many times: I was captivated by the sets, the color and all of the characters. As the film is so iconic, it felt like a perfect opportunity to deviate from some of the well-known visuals and focus on Dorothy.

"For my portrait poster, Dorothy’s pose and the composition are inspired by illustrated advertising posters from the early 20th century. I read up about the production and really liked finding out how much Judy cared for the dog that played Toto. I feel like you can see it so clearly in the film, and I wanted to capture that sweet relationship.

Jennifer_Dionisio_Wizard_of_Oz2_extended_1024x1024.jpg

"For my landscape poster, I thought about how a lot of the characters in the film are searching for something they feel is absent. “Over The Rainbow” is an ode to longing, and many people have pointed out parallels between The Wizard of Oz and Judy’s own story. So in this composition, I circled around these themes of loss and internal reflection.

"These posters were so rewarding to make. I hope I’ve succeeded in celebrating Judy in the way she deserves."

Diosisio_Wizard_of_Oz_VAR_detail04_1024x1024.jpg

Diosisio_Wizard_of_Oz_VAR_detail02_1024x1024.jpg

Diosisio_Wizard_of_Oz_detail05_1024x1024.jpg