Universal Noir #1 (Blu-ray Limited Edition Box Set) (Powerhouse Films) [UK]

Release date: September 19, 2022
Purchase links: Powerhouse Films - Amazon UK - Zavvi
Price: £49.99 (Powerhouse) - £50.00 (Amazon) - £52.99 (Zavvi)
Note: Limited to 6,000 numbered units

UNbr.PNG

UN3.PNG
UN2.PNG

Reactions: sinusR2

Space Cadet

[Far above the moon]
Premium Supporter
Nov 26, 2017
Finland
Release date: Sep 19, 2022
Purchase link: Amazon UK
Price: £50.00
Notes : The Web / Larceny / Kiss the Blood Off My Hands / Abandoned / Deported / Naked

MV5BZjljZGI5ZTAtMmIwMC00N2ZiLWEzNmYtMDQ1MzFiNDI4ZDllXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTM2MzgyOTU@._V1_FMjpg_UX1...jpg

Special Features and Technical Specs:
  • High Definition presentations of The Web, Larceny, Kiss the Blood Off My Hands, Abandoned, Deported and Naked Alibi
  • Original mono audio
  • Audio commentary with film historian David Del Valle on The Web (2022)
  • Audio commentary with academic and curator Eloise Ross on Larceny (2022)
  • Audio commentary with film historians Alexandra Heller-Nicholas and Josh Nelson on Kiss the Blood Off My Hands (2022)
  • Audio commentary with writers and film experts Barry Forshaw and Kim Newman on Abandoned (2022)
  • Audio commentary with filmmaker and film scholar Daniel Kremer on Deported (2022)
  • Audio commentary with film historian Nathaniel Thompson on Naked Alibi (2022)
  • The John Player Lecture with Joan Fontaine (1978): archival audio recording of the star of Kiss the Blood Off My Hands in conversation with film critic Martin Shawcross at London's National Film Theatre
  • Archival Interview with Victoria Price (2018): the daughter of Vincent Price in conversation with the Film Noir Foundation's Alan K Rode following a screening of The Web at the Arthur Lyons Film Noir Festival
  • Lucy Bolton on Gloria Grahame (2022): the academic discusses one of the great femme fatales of film noir
  • Christina Newland on Robert Siodmak (2022): the critic and writer looks at the Deported director's extensive work in film noir
  • Nick Pinkerton on Dan Duryea (2022): the author and critic assesses the life and career of the big-screen tough guy
  • Lux Radio Theatre: 'The Web' (1947): radio adaptation featuring Ella Raines, Edmond O'Brien and Vincent Price reprising their roles from the film
  • United Action Means Victory (1939): documentary short about the 1938-39 General Motors strike, with narration written by Kiss the Blood Off My Hands screenwriter Ben Maddow
  • Men of the Lightship (1941): British World War II documentary short, co-written by Kiss the Blood Off My Hands screenwriter Hugh Gray and narrated by Kiss the Blood Off My Hands actor Robert Newton
  • Skirmish on the Home Front (1944): WWII propaganda short starring film noir mainstays Alan Ladd and William Bendix
  • Easy to Get (1947): documentary short directed by Abandoned filmmaker Joseph M Newman as part of the US Army's 'Easy to Get' campaign on venereal disease
  • Theatrical trailer for Kiss the Blood Off My Hands
  • Image galleries: publicity and promotional materials
  • New and improved English subtitles for the deaf and hard of hearing
  • Limited edition exclusive 120-page book with new essays by Iris Veysey, Jill Blake, Karen Hannsberry, Sabina Stent, Sergio Angelini and Walter Chaw, extensive archival articles and interviews, new writing on the various short films, and film credits
  • REGION-B "LOCKED"

Included Films:
  • The Web (Michael Gordon, 1947)
  • Larceny (George Sherman, 1948)
  • Kiss The Blood Off My Hands (Norman Foster, 1948)
  • Abandoned (Joseph M Newman, 1949)
  • Deported (Robert Siodmak, 1950)
  • Naked Alibi (Jerry Hopper, 1954)
A new series of box sets – following Indicator's acclaimed Columbia Noir series – focusing on the film noir output of another of the major Hollywood studios, Universal Pictures.

Starring such high-profile talents as Burt Lancaster, Joan Fontaine, Shelley Winters, Dan Duryea, Vincent Price, Edmund O’Brien, Sterling Hayden, Gloria Grahame and Jeff Chandler, the six films in this volume feature embezzlement and murder (The Web), confidence tricksters (Larceny), lovers on the lam (Kiss the Blood Off My Hands), an adoption racket (Abandoned), transatlantic criminals (Deported), and police brutality (Naked Alibi).

This stunning collection marks the UK Blu-ray premiere of all six films, and also features an array of fascinating contextualising extras, including newly recorded commentaries for each film, critical appreciations, archival short films, and a 120-page book. Strictly limited to 6,000 numbered units.

Extras: Indicator Limited Edition Blu-ray Box Set Special Features
  • High Definition presentations of The Web, Larceny, Kiss the Blood Off My Hands, Abandoned, Deported and Naked Alibi
  • Original mono audio
  • Audio commentary with film historian David Del Valle on The Web (2022)
  • Audio commentary with academic and curator Eloise Ross on Larceny (2022)
  • Audio commentary with film historians Alexandra Heller-Nicholas and Josh Nelson on Kiss the Blood Off My Hands (2022)
  • Audio commentary with writers and film experts Barry Forshaw and Kim Newman on Abandoned (2022)
  • Audio commentary with filmmaker and film scholar Daniel Kremer on Deported (2022)
  • Audio commentary with film historian Nathaniel Thompson on Naked Alibi (2022)
  • The John Player Lecture with Joan Fontaine (1978): archival audio recording of the star of Kiss the Blood Off My Hands in conversation with film critic Martin Shawcross at London’s National Film Theatre
  • Archival Interview with Victoria Price (2018): the daughter of Vincent Price in conversation with the Film Noir Foundation’s Alan K Rode following a screening of The Web at the Arthur Lyons Film Noir Festival
  • Lucy Bolton on Gloria Grahame (2022): the academic discusses one of the great femme fatales of film noir
  • Christina Newland on Robert Siodmak (2022): the critic and writer looks at the Deported director’s extensive work in film noir
  • Nick Pinkerton on Dan Duryea (2022): the author and critic assesses the life and career of the big-screen tough guy
  • Lux Radio Theatre: ‘The Web’ (1947): radio adaptation featuring Ella Raines, Edmond O’Brien and Vincent Price reprising their roles from the film
  • United Action Means Victory (1939): documentary short about the 1938-39 General Motors strike, with narration written by Kiss the Blood Off My Hands screenwriter Ben Maddow
  • Men of the Lightship (1941): British World War II documentary short, co-written by Kiss the Blood Off My Hands screenwriter Hugh Gray and narrated by Kiss the Blood Off My Hands actor Robert Newton
  • Skirmish on the Home Front (1944): WWII propaganda short starring film noir mainstays Alan Ladd and William Bendix
  • Easy to Get (1947): documentary short directed by Abandoned filmmaker Joseph M Newman as part of the US Army’s ‘Easy to Get’ campaign on venereal disease
  • Theatrical trailer for Kiss the Blood Off My Hands
  • Image galleries: publicity and promotional materials
  • New and improved English subtitles for the deaf and hard of hearing
  • Limited edition exclusive 120-page book with new essays by Iris Veysey, Jill Blake, Karen Hannsberry, Sabina Stent, Sergio Angelini and Walter Chaw, extensive archival articles and interviews, new writing on the various short films, and film credits
  • UK premieres on Blu-ray
  • Limited edition box set of 6,000 numbered units
All extras subject to change

Reactions: sinusR2