War of the Worlds 1953 question

Lollard2002

Premium Supporter
Sep 19, 2012
Belfast
Am I the only one who is annoyed that this iconic classic which has had a serious 4k r restoration has not had a 4k/blu-ray release. It's on itunes, it's on streaming.
Sorry but i want a physical release and i would have thought an exclusive steelbook or futurepak like the Suspiria one would have been a winner.

What are group members thoughts on this? Or am i a lone voice in the wilderness?

Am I the only one who is annoyed that this iconic classic which has had a serious 4k r restoration has not had a 4k/blu-ray release. It's on itunes, it's on streaming.
Sorry but i want a physical release and i would have thought an exclusive steelbook or futurepak like the Suspiria one would have been a winner.

What are group members thoughts on this? Or am i a lone voice in the wilderness?
Unfortunately- there are many films that get released 1080p (and sometimes 4K) on cable/sat/stream that do not have a physical release.
Myself - I grab them and author my own blu ray editions. Mainly because some of these titles have no chance in hell of ever getting a blu ray release. WoW is a historic picture - so that one has a much better chance of seeing a release.

All the same I’m reading on so many forums the fans are screaming for this one on blu Ray and paramount are just not listening Thank goodness for my cav laserdisc

you are not the only one. it was a childhood favourite of mine (along with the 80stastic TV show sequel).

Germany seems to be the place noen

Germany seems to be the place now where I get a lot of blu rays not being released elsewhere or years ahead of elsewhere

1561371049538.png

Yes, would be nice if they'd get to a Blu-ray for this film . . . that 4K restoration does indeed looks great . . . with the removal of wires holding up the alien killing machines suspension of disbelief is complete - now it really is a case of “some form of electro magnetic force” and “balancing the two poles” holding up the craft instead of a bunch of blue-tinted wires:-

Wires -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- gone -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------I
1561371195529.png
1561371000100.png

you are certainly not the only one! :thumbs: if The Day The Earth Stood Still (1953) can get a basic steelbook release, why on earth have we not seen one for this? :confused:

you are certainly not the only one! :thumbs: if The Day The Earth Stood Still (1953) can get a basic steelbook release, why on earth have we not seen one for this? :confused:
After the one you mentioned and a few others including INVADERS FROM MARS, FORBIDDEN PLANET, INVASION OF THE BODY SNATCHERS and THE INCREDIBLE SHRINKING MAN this is my next favourite 1950s sci-fi movie.

• Thanks
Reactions: steelmybeatingheart
After the one you mentioned and a few others including INVADERS FROM MARS, FORBIDDEN PLANET, INVASION OF THE BODY SNATCHERS and THE INCREDIBLE SHRINKING MAN this is my next favourite 1950s sci-fi movie.

To be fair the Forbidden Planet steel is excellent but the One for the Day the Earth Stood still is dire. I refused to buy it. The others you mention no steels to date but at least they have excellent blu-ray releases in Germany of all places. I have the mediabook for Invasion of the Body Snatchers and the excellent Incredible Shrinking Man. Always check Amazon Germany because if you are going to get a release of these classics Amazon Germany is the one place to check. Having said that This Island Earth is about to get a new restored pressing from Shout factory from a 4k scan and Quatermass 2 is about to get a new scan from I think Shout factory in the USA..... Watch the skies......

To be fair the Forbidden Planet steel is excellent but the One for the Day the Earth Stood still is dire. I refused to buy it. The others you mention no steels to date but at least they have excellent blu-ray releases in Germany of all places. I have the mediabook for Invasion of the Body Snatchers and the excellent Incredible Shrinking Man. Always check Amazon Germany because if you are going to get a release of these classics Amazon Germany is the one place to check. Having said that This Island Earth is about to get a new restored pressing from Shout factory from a 4k scan and Quatermass 2 is about to get a new scan from I think Shout factory in the USA..... Watch the skies......
don't disagree with you on the quality of the ...Stood Still steel, but i didn't own it and it was cheap on evil Bay, so... :p

thanks for the This Island Earth info, great to hear. :woot:

and yes, the original Forbidden Panet steel is indeed excellent. :thumbs:

Jesus I'm a little bit late, never noticed this thread xD

So :) Yeah, I can confirm this is coming on 4K this year :) (if everything goes fine:)

I don't know if a steelbook is coming, could be possibly, but the 4K disc is 100% coming :D

@Lollard2002