What's The Difference Between SteelBook, IronPack & MetalPak/Futurepak?

Wreck

Is Here To Serve
Staff Member
Jan 26, 2009
USA
As many people have come across this craze of a hobby collecting blu-ray steelbooks they have also noticed the talk of "Star Metal Paks" and "Iron Packs". Ultimately, all are made of a metal and some are made and packaged better than others.

SteelBook is by popularity the most saught after, best packaged, and best made.

Iron Pack (in my humble opinion) seems to be close but still a bit behind in the quality department.

Star Metal Paks are fine on the outside but the hinges and cut spine for the hinges are just attrocious and cheapy made. (IMO)

Never the less, they are all still better than a cheap amaray (regular blu-ray case) and if you are a collector of movies and your favorite movie gets a metal version of any kind (like the tins, Band of Brothers) then you will probably rush after it! :)

Below is a picture of the differences, but ultimately the choice is up to you as far as what you like and will buy. Canadians and Germans are starting to get Iron Packs so it may be more feasible for you to make your own judgement in person but ofcourse we are strong supporters of the SteelBook brand.

attachment.php

Pics taken from http://bluraysteelbooks.com/steelbook-resources/

Attachments

• spinedifferencs.jpg
    spinedifferencs.jpg
    35 KB · Views: 7,566
Last edited:
No.
Amaray cases (actually called Keep Cases) are also made by Maxell, Memorex, TDK, Verbatim, NexPak, and US Digital Media.

Thank you for proving your own argument to be wrong.
Amaray cases are made by ASG-Amaray and are patented and trademarked. Similar cases made by another companies are not Amaray cases, but some people choose to use it as a generic name.

Except, what is the patent for exactly? When the first soda came out in a can, could no other soda company put their soda in a can? I 'get' that they have a patent, but a Metalpak is different.
It has hinges. It is not the same design.
I think an over zealous judge ruled too broadly. Is there only ONE company that makes amray cases? Did Boxes Inc. patent the box, and only they can manufacture boxes?

And to go back off topic (briefly)... the answer is complicated (and I don't know off hand). Patents protect ideas. When one files for a patent, one of the pieces of the patent application is a section for claims. These claims are exactly what is ebing asked to be patented. But a typical application does not have one claim, it has numerous claims. Usually going from the most broad to the most specific. The US government (through the USPTO) reviews the application and decides which claims to allow and which to deny. But the applicant makes the claims as broad as they can to get a patent as broad as they can. The only way to know what was approved is to look it up. Which anyone can, just go to USPTO.gov (for US patents, it gets more complex when you get into international law).

In your examples, its quite possible someone once had a patent on a soda can or even a simple box. Those patents, if they existed, would be long expired so that's why anyone can use them today. But at the time they possibly had exclusive rights. How broad those rights are depends on the language of the claims. And I'm guessing the language is pretty broad in the case on Scanavo's patent(s)

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you for proving your own argument to be wrong.
Amaray cases are made by ASG-Amaray and are patented and trademarked. Similar cases made by another companies are not Amaray cases, but some people choose to use it as a generic name.
Viva never used the name Steelbook..
Keep cases are not called amaray cases but are the same product.
Amaray did not sue the other companies.

Viva never used the name Steelbook..
Keep cases are not called amaray cases but are the same product.
Amaray did not sue the other companies.
Remind me where I said that Viva used the name Steelbook?

ASG-Amaray have not patented the keep case, they have patented their disc-hub design. If other manufacturers copied that disc-hub they would be sued, which is why non-Amaray cases have different hubs. They are very similar products that fulfil the same function, but they are not the same product.

Remind me where I said that Viva used the name Steelbook?

ASG-Amaray have not patented the keep case, they have patented their disc-hub design. If other manufacturers copied that disc-hub they would be sued, which is why non-Amaray cases have different hubs. They are very similar products that fulfil the same function, but they are not the same product.
...Which is why other media in metal should not be sued.
They are not the same product as Steelbook™.
If they were, OCD Steelbook™-brand collectors wouldn't so vehemently dislike them and refuse to own them.

...Which is why other media in metal should not be sued.
They are not the same product as Steelbook™.
If they were, OCD Steelbook™-brand collectors wouldn't so vehemently dislike them and refuse to own them.
You're losing me with your argument that all plastic Blu-ray cases are the same, and all metal cases are different.

Amaray only patented one element of their case (the hub), but Glud & Marstrand, the parent company of Scanavo, were granted far more wide-ranging US patents covering 'media storage boxes with metal covers and plastic hinges' (US patent no. 7,051,872 http://www.google.com/patents/US7051872 ) (US Design Patent No. D562,049 https://www.google.com/patents/USD562049 )

• Helpful Post
  • Informative
Reactions: augustus and Ricker
You're losing me with your argument that all plastic Blu-ray cases are the same, and all metal cases are different.

Amaray only patented one element of their case (the hub), but Glud & Marstrand, the parent company of Scanavo, were granted far more wide-ranging US patents covering 'media storage boxes with metal covers and plastic hinges' (US patent no. 7,051,872 http://www.google.com/patents/US7051872 ) (US Design Patent No. D562,049 https://www.google.com/patents/USD562049 )
Appreciate the info. :thumbs:It still seems that whatever the ruling may have been, it shouldn't rule out anybody making a metal container for media if it differs from Scanovo's design in obvious ways. But, that's just my opinion, and will have zero effect on where these things go. I think it is a shame for the consumer, as robust competition would surely make things better. I'm all for a company looking out for their interests in an open market, but nobody likes a bully.image.jpg

Reactions: augustus