[WINNERS CHOSEN] Digitalbabe's 3 $25 Amazon Giftcard bonanza-movies that suck, movies that rock!

Status
Not open for further replies.

digitalbabe

Premium Supporter
Apr 12, 2009
USA
Per random.org the winners are:

Amazon GC1 @darklocke
Amazon GC2 @pi2loc
Amazon GC3 @snoopcat1987

ninja-week-18-top.png

amazon1.jpg

Hello Ninjas!

Welcome to NINJA WEEK 2018!

In this personal giveaway, post a short movie review of the last film you saw in the theater or at home.

(3) winners will pick a gift card for any Amazon site at the coclusion of the contest on 2/25/2018.

Good luck ninjas!
#bestweekever #ninjaweek #hidefninja

Don't forget to download your free HDN Wallpaper here!

HDN wallpaper.png

Last edited:
Iron Man 3 from last night

While I have watched this movie atleast 5 times it has been a year or so since my last viewing. It might not be the strongest of the series but its still great fun. Tony's cockiness gets him into trouble once again but this time he is a little more outmanned. Spending much of the movie behind against movie like any good guy he does prevail with the help of his friends. In the end its just like any of the other Marvel movies but still a blast.

Last movie I saw in theaters was Black Panther.

Although I wasn't happy to see yet another "negative version of the hero" as the film's villain, Michael B. Jordan's performance and Killmonger's character arc were amazing. It really complemented what was overall a top-notch Marvel film with fantastic soundtrack, an Oscar-worth production design and courageous direction and screenwriting.

I loved seeing so many powerful women in outstanding roles.

Overall I'd give it a 9 out of 10. Would get a perfect score if Killmonger wasn't an actual "bad" Black Panther but a villain on its own suit, powers and identity.

Thanks so much for the giveaway! :)

Reactions: digitalbabe
Lady Bird

Easily the best movie of 2017. Its simplicity reflects the true nature of coming of age. A very relatable story where Saoirse Ronan is simply majestic.

Last movie I saw in a theater was Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2

With character developement established in Vol 1, the sequel jumps right into the fray with what seemed at the time a cgi bonanza of overkill. In retrospect, after numerous home watchings, I've mellowed to the point of enjoying the manic start. In the initial viewing, once the perceived overload had slowed a bit, I began to appreciate the story arc with Star Lord finding his father. The meeting of the two, and subsequent relationship, was very well done. As was the twist of fate I won't go into here to prevent spoilers. I found myself laughing hysterically at many points in the film, and once again Rocket stole the show for me. Such a fun loving dastardly little dude. I do highly recommend this most excellent film.

Black Panther

One of the best solo Marvel films in a while. Michael B. Jordan steals the show with his performance. The film makes you understand his motivations without making him too sympathetic.

Black Panther
In a period where we’re getting some incredibly fresh and unique superhero films, Ryan Coogler adds to the list while really standing out.
Michael’s character is probably one of the best villains we’ve seen in some time. Rather than feeling like a figure of evil, he feels like a human being with depth and emotion.
And he has one of the most powerful lines later in the film. The style of this entire film is great. It looks beautiful and the score really compliments to whole ensemble.

Black Panther

A very fresh take on Superhero films. Storytelling, visual and action were top notch. The acting of the ensemble cast is noteworthy. Well worth the hype it's getting.

Thanks DB for this giveaway! :thumbs:

Playback (2012)
A film that had promise, but was sadly faltered by a messy script and some weird editing choices. Christian Slater felt very out of place in it. Overall, it kept me intrigued enough to watch it all the way through, but I wouldn't recommend the film.

Star Wars: The Last Jedi

The movie started out with promise, but by the end of the movie, I just shrugged my shoulders and said *meh*. It left me feeling hollow, like there was just something missing from the entire story arc.I couldn't find much in the movie that engaged me like Rogue One or The Force Awakens. The "sacrafice scene" with silence was one of the highlights. I am happy that JJ Abrams will be piloting the final in this series of trilogies. What he did with The Force Awakens progressed the story line while bringing back the nostalgia of the original trilogy. Hopefully he can bring back order to the force!

Cheers!

I watched Flying Colors. I found it quite charming. It is a bit predictable, but I found the performances enjoyable and it was just an entertaining watch

The Great Beauty (DVD) - I had trouble getting engaged with the film, probably due to its meandering nature and themes that didn't really speak to me. However, I have to commend it for being so audiovisually beautiful; there were many sequences that had me entranced even when I didn't really care for the rest of the film. It's no doubt a matter of taste.

The Exorcist (1973):
After lunch the other day, I decided to revisit this film classic for the first time since I first saw it in 1973.
It still made my head spin and gave me that feeling in the pit of my stomach that I just might lose the pea soup and saltine crackers I had eaten for lunch. William Friedkin's film still gets a :thumbs: from me.

THE KILLING OF A SACRED DEER (blu ray)
Definitely a movie for cinephiles and Kubrick lovers.
It is for cinephiles because you have to understand what the director is doing to watch it. (For example: He purposely has all the actors deliver their lines "flat" for heightened effect).
It is for Kubrick lovers because, this is the closest I have seen since Kubrick's passing to a Kubrick looking film.
The choices of design, leneses, and camera movement are very much in the Kubrickian mode.
The screenplay is like a hybrid of Lynch meets Haneke. The heightened weirdness amongst everyday lives is really effective. And the elephant in the room is pretty much ignored! (Nobody ever asks HOW what is happening is happening). Do not be dissuaded by reviews that confused "flat" delivery for effect with "bad acting". They are doing it for a reason. It creates a bizzare feeling and world. Great flick, but you MUST be able to get on its wavelength. Whether you liked The Lobster or not may help you decide.
Thanks for the giveaway, DB!

I finally got around to watching Guardians of the Galaxy Vol.2 VERY VAGUE SPOILERS FOLLOW at the weekend. I caught the first at the cinema and was hoping to do the same with this but we never found the time. This, for me, is one the best Marvel Cinematic Universe films and I enjoyed it even more than the first. The intro is incredible and immediately you have no choice but to adore baby Groot and his antics. I love the way he dislikes Drax and is always completely oblivious to the danger he's often in.
We found the film to often be hilarious. Who'd have thought that Dave Bautista (apparently an ex wrestler) would have such serious comedy chops?
One of the weaknesses of the MCU franchise for me has frequently been the villains. I was pleasantly surprised by the villain in this and would actually rate him higher than most from the franchise.
The film really did surpass my expectations and even had a genuinely touching character death and funeral sequence which surpasses anything else I've seen in comic book movies (perhaps this was helped as it was accompanied by one of my favourite songs). Also the soundtrack is AMAZING. I really can't wait to see these characters interacting with the Avengers roll on May :)

EDIT: Well I guess I'm not the only one who just saw this film haha

Red Eye (indie horror 2017)

Red Eye is the first feature from Deranged Minds Entertainment and an obvious passion project. The movie follows a group of friends making their way to the tree filled back country of West Virginia, in hopes of documenting an Urban Legend known to be from the area. True to Slasher film form, this proves to be a deadly day in the woods for the group. Solid acting and camera-work with enjoyable, bloody kill sequences, and a nasty little twist, make this Indie flick worthy of a watch.

Thanks for the giveaway :thumbs:

SW The Last Jedi, awful story. Pretty much the whole story needed to be rewritten. Absurd use of lightspeed as a weapon. Characters that should have died did not and ones that did not did.

15:10 to Paris or How I made an obese diabetic hyper-patriotic postcard as hollow and boring as Mrs. Eastwood and Company. (The reality show) I am positive the three main characters parents and friends, minister and congressman had final say on the script because no one I repeat no one in their early twenties in the military goes to Amsterdam and not end up with someone in their bed. Normal behavior has been removed from this script. The heroic guys didn't curse or fight or drink too much in freakin' Amsterdam nightclubs. What the hell? How can anyone get behind people who are so lacking flaws or even a slight resemblance to the majority of humanity. I know that Clint Eastwood took the big risk of using the original real guys. Wow, what a leap for a guy who refuses to give his actors any direction. He hates when they ask for motivation or character history. I'm not going to bother saying the obvious about their acting. The last ten minutes of the film is a little bit better since there's a gun involved. Other than that 99.9% of this movie is horrible at best.

Just watched MOM and DAD (2017) so might as well talk about it! I am a huge Nicolas Cage fan, and for me, this was classic Nic Cage. A very fun and interesting concept. I don't want to spoil anything, but if you like dark comedy and you are a fan of horror (and a fan of Nicolas Cage).. just find it and watch the S**t out of it. I can definitely see myself re-watching this for years to come. The visual style and cinematography are also worth noting for the fact that they compliment the plot quite well. Not a huge fan of this director's other work, but I did like his choices with Mom and Dad.

Thanks for the giveaway. Love reading all these mini reviews! :smuggrin:

Cheers!

Status
Not open for further replies.