Worth getting a non-HDR tv at this point?

Nov 9, 2014
I'm torn between a great deal on a 50" Sony 720 series for $450, or the 820 series with HDR, 49" for $699, $250 more....

How big an improvement is HDR? Is it worth saving the extra couple and a half bengis for a bit more futury proofness?

I don't really need the additional smart functions of the 820 (Android tv) because I have a PS4, but it's a nice selling point just to have I suppose.

Sure is a shame 3D is dead.

I'm torn between a great deal on a 50" Sony 720 series for $450, or the 820 series with HDR, 49" for $699, $250 more....

How big an improvement is HDR? Is it worth saving the extra couple and a half bengis for a bit more futury proofness?

I don't really need the additional smart functions of the 820 (Android tv) because I have a PS4, but it's a nice selling point just to have I suppose.

IMO HDR makes a big difference. The colour and brightness are very big factors in the PQ. I noticed HDR more than I do the extra resolution. 4K Blu-rays look sharper but it’s the HDR that makes the real difference for me. I would try and look in store at a few models and see what you think.
Whether it’s worth the extra $250 is up to you. I think if you can afford it then it would be worth spending the extra on the HDR set.:)

HDR and Dolby Vision is the MAIN reason I got a new TV.
The 4K bump is nice, (Not as dramatic as the jump from standard def to 1080p) but the REAL revolution in the new TVs is HDR, DV and the wide color gamut.
I highly recommend making sure the TV also has Dolby Vision and maybe (to a lesser extent) Hybrid Log Gamma.
(LG tvs have all of those plus Advanced HDR (aka Technicolor).
Sony has HDR, DV, and HLG
Panasonic and Samsung refuse DV but have HDR (and if memory serves, the reason they do not have Dolby Vision is because they are backing Technicolor (AHDR).
Make sure the TV (no matter whether HDR or not) is HDCP 2.2 compliant, too.

or use HDfury equipment to bypass that ;)
:LOL: If yoir going to make substantial investment- I would recommend skipping the jerry-rigging!:D
I’m not a fan of using all this handshaking just because of potential piracy. I really do feel bad for the folks who bought a 4K Tv before HDR and HDCP 2.2. They got screwed.

I’m not a fan of using all this handshaking just because of potential piracy. I really do feel bad for the folks who bought a 4K Tv before HDR and HDCP 2.2. They got screwed.
Who's talking about piracy? If the industry screw people by selling non-HDCP2.2 equipment, the people have to find something to ''un-screw'' them self ;)

• Thanks
Reactions: C.C. 95
If you are looking for a TV for a year ... you can go the cheaper ... because if its only HDR ... likely in a year's time you can get a TV for a decent price that is HDR10 or Dolby Vision supported.

But in the grand scheme ...... def go HDR if you are looking to make the TV last a few years.

Well Guys, thanks for the suggestions.. I decided to go HDR and not look back. I got this Low/Mid Sony for $699 and it's a fricken nice TV. The picture quality (netflix, havent tested blu yet) is wonderful and a huge improvement over my old 32" 720P samsung lol

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/sony-4...th-high-dynamic-range/5748204.p?skuId=5748204

It's got HDR, and HDCP 2.2... but NO Dolby Vision support... so hopefully that isn't too bad. But I figure it will be a great living room tv for a few years.

Well Guys, thanks for the suggestions.. I decided to go HDR and not look back. I got this Low/Mid Sony for $699 and it's a fricken nice TV. The picture quality (netflix, havent tested blu yet) is wonderful and a huge improvement over my old 32" 720P samsung lol

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/sony-4...th-high-dynamic-range/5748204.p?skuId=5748204

It's got HDR, and HDCP 2.2... but NO Dolby Vision support... so hopefully that isn't too bad. But I figure it will be a great living room tv for a few years.

sounds great bud!