Zavvi and Video Game Steelbooks

Robsonmonkey

Premium Supporter
Apr 25, 2013
So I've been wondering lately about the number of blu ray Steelbooks Zavvi have been producing lately and all the video game steelbooks they've missed. Wouldn't it be good if they started to look into the video game Steelbook market. Now, now hear me out

Zavvi with blu ray steelbooks have went a tad crazy lately as we've all seen, they seem to release a lot of steelbooks compared to what the market was once like years ago, however with video game steelbooks they can't really backtrack with re-releases of video games can they unlike them re-releasing another steelbook for a film which has either previously been released in the UK or in other counties. So with video game steelbooks it's not like they can go crazy and offer us too much. Even if they made a steelbook for all the video game releases coming up it would still look bare compared to how many film steelbooks they do. As I've said they can't go over the top can they

The only thing they could really do, which is probably a silly idea to most people, is to release empty steelbook cases for old games and I'm talking about games which have never gotten steelbooks. Take Uncharted for example the third game got a steelbook, the second one did (not as good) but the first game didn't get one and that makes some peoples collections stick out like a swore thumb. Look at Borderlands 2, that got a Steelbook but the first one never did then you have big releases like inFAMOUS where not ONE game has had a steelbook releases. So when you look at the options they could take that's the only road they could go down and it's not a very likely one so at the end of the day we don't have to worry about Zavvi releasing too many video game steelbooks.

Anyway this just occurred to me today when I saw that Zavvi was doing the Evil Within steelbook which looks like the same one offered at Gamestop in Germany. We miss out of a lot of steelbooks that other places like Germany especially get. Tomb Raider, Skryim, Mario Kart 8, Minecraft and even Smash Bros from FutureShop...wouldn't it be good if Zavvi picked up these steelbooks no one else are doing. Hell even DriveClub got a steelbook but with some of the lesser known sites for the UK offering it the steelbook would go right under the radar if you didn't keep up with forums.

So yeah that's my thought on it, I just think it would be a good idea if somebody on here could reach out to Zavvi and see if they wouldn't mind at least looking into the video game steelbook market. Think about it aswell they could do bundles of collectors editions with the steelbook they are EXCLUSIVELY offering and because most of our editions miss out on Steelbooks (Take the recent The Order 1886 Steelbook for example) then people are more likely to shop at Zavvi since they will getting more.

This could be a good thing for Zavvi, they are already known as the "Home of the Steelbooks" so why not expand on that.

Thoughts on this?

I know for a fact they really want to do more VG steels but have had very hard time getting it going. I'm sure if this thread was 50 pages long it'd give them some ammunition when trying to sell the demand.

That's interesting to hear.

How come they are having a hard time? Is it because they need permission or just cant get it going.

Tell you something if a game gets a collectors edition with no steelbook but Zavvi exclusively ADDS a steelbook for a little bit more money then more people will want to purchase the CE on their site.

And as I've said...even empty strelbook cases would be welcomed. Like a inFAMOUS trilogy steelbook set with matching artwork would be amazing

basically perms and min. qty ... not sure how it all correlates to games. ie. what a game publisher finds a worthy deal and at what cost to zavvi etc. lot goes into play. But I know they are actively trying so here's to hoping.

basically perms and min. qty ... not sure how it all correlates to games. ie. what a game publisher finds a worthy deal and at what cost to zavvi etc. lot goes into play. But I know they are actively trying so here's to hoping.

Ah right.

Well for now they could focus on trying to get Steelbooks which are being done in other places....so instead of asking if they could do one they'll just have to ask if they are allowed some shipments. Like for example the ones Germany seem to get, they don't usually have German text on them. Skyrims, Tomb Raiders, Dishonored were all good to go for other markets. Hell you have the Smash Bros one at Futureshop in Canada that would of been a good one to try and get.

I should be grateful.....I mean I am....but Elder Scrolls Online........hmmmm

Mad Max hasn't got a steelbook anywhere else Zavvi

Mighty No 9 would be nice if you get a physical release along with a Steelbook

Everybody's Gone to the Rapture or The Witness are other games which would be nice. Indie games with Steelbooks.....could be a thing

Tearaway Unfolded is one which I doubt will get a Steelbook anywhere else

Xenoblade Chronicles X is a Nintendo game and lets be honest that will do well since Nintendo hardly ever do special editions

Yoshi's Woolly World is exactly the same

Tom Clancy's The Division....haven't heard anything for a special edition for that

I doubt it but if you could get a physical release of the Resident Evil HD Remake and do a Steelbook, that would be sweeeeeet

Ratchet & Clank is another one to keep an eye on

Dragon Quest Heroes: The Dark Dragon and the World Tree Castle

Yeah sometimes it's about getting foot in door with pubs. Hopefully this one works out well so VG steel fans see more titles down road.

Well Untill Dawn is coming on August 26, 2015.....doubt that will get a Steelbook anywhere HINT, HINT Zavvi

Yoshi's Woolly World is coming up aswell XD

I think one of the reasons there aren't more people posting in here (in this section of the forums and this thread) is that most videogame collectors go to other pages. Hidefninja feels and are for most parts movie (bluray) centric.

With more people spreading the videogame steelbook gospel at sites like neogaf it might be possible to draw more crowds here. Maybe. I can only dream.

If Zavvi started on a regular basis to offer empty steelbook upgrades for games I'd be all over it. Like Donkey Kong on barrels.