Alien: Covenant (Blu-ray SteelBook) (Manta Lab Exclusive No. 10) [Hong Kong]

martinouchou

Premium Supporter
Sep 20, 2015
France
Release date: October 20, 2017
Purchase links: Full Slip - Lenti A - Lenti B - One Click (Pre-order on August 25 at 6 PM HK time)
Price: $41.99 (Individual editions) - $125.97 (One Click)
Group Buy: Hosted by Aniv One Click - Full Slip - Lenticular A - Lenticular B
Notes: 2500 numbered copies (One Click 400 + Full Slip 400 + Lenti A 500 + Lenti B 400)

Fullslip.jpgLenti A.jpgLenti B.jpgBoxset.jpg

20626843_1473762832733820_2459998244172256503_o.jpg
[ME#10] Alien: Covenant Steelbook
We watched the movie and loved it which means we are making the exclusive steelbook for the Alien Covenant! Steelbook has been approved. We are aiming for the Late September release and hope that the rest of process goes smoothly.
19601344_1439357456174358_4844366141747089836_n.jpg
201708002-alien_covenant_LS-A_lenti_3D_1024x1024.gif
giphy.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
You know what, instead of waiting I may as well make my case for Alien 3.

Alien 3 isn't a bad film, it's was just a disappointing Aliens sequel for people. Yeah it left a bad taste in our mouths when Newt and Hicks were killed off in the opening shots of the film but honestly can we say that Alien 3 with a little family unit running round would've been any better than what we got?

Aliens is good for many reasons but it reduced what made the Alien scary in the first movie to nothing more but squealing canon fodder. Alien 3 took it back to its routes by stripping the characters back and making them vulnerable. The movie had two ways to go, it either went back to a horror and suspenseful feel or forward and upped the amount of Aliens and action like Resurrection. On top of Newt and Hicks dying, what makes it so bad? We get a new type of Alien who terrorises these born again religious inmates on this prison planet. More than that, the Ripley character finally ends her story and comes full circle as a character. She went from a standard heroin to facing her demons face on to finally embracing her fate and ending the xenomorph species as we knew it. The atmosphere of the film was spot on.. it was moody and depressing but it was supposed to be, a run down prison facility filled with rapists and murderers, Ripley mourning her fallen comrades whilst dealing with her own Alien pregnation.. wasn't going to be all cheap smiles and one liners was it? The cast was far superior with the likes of Charles Dutton, Charles Dance and Pete Postlethwaite. What about that epic scene when they're about incinerate Newt and Hicks, the speech and the symbolic parallel of life and death as they are put to rest as the Alien is being born? Lets not forget we got this movie after all the production and director issues it went through.

Whats Alien Resurrections excuse? As a sequel to Alien 3 and the franchise as a whole, it had no point whatsoever. I'm surprised Sigourney Weaver came back for this as it did nothing but undo her character arc from the previous movies and crap all over it. "I know, lets make her half human, half alien and give her black nail varnish and crap one liners"...great. There is nothing memorable or worth mentioning about this film. People often say its "90's cheese at its finest and doesn't take itself seriously" ..yeah, exactly what we want from an Alien sequel, 90s cheese. The cast were forgettable as was the plot and it felt like a pointless ride to get Ripley back to Earth which ultimately meant nothing cause the film ended and there was never a 5th movie. There were some decent actors in the film in retrospect but who honestly cared about Ron Perlman being in it back then or even now for that sake? Even if you look at the budget for both movies, Alien 3 was cheaper and made just as much as Resurrection which cost roughly 20 million more to make. Their rotten tomatoes scores are similar but keep in mind Resurrection has had over 20 more reviewers on it to reach that score.

Last edited:
You know what, instead of waiting I may as well make my case for Alien 3.

Alien 3 isn't a bad film, it's was just a disappointing Aliens sequel for people. Yeah it left a bad taste in our mouths when Newt and Hicks were killed off in the opening shots of the film but honestly can we say that Alien 3 with a little family unit running round would've been any better than what we got?

Aliens is good for many reasons but it reduced what made the Alien scary in the first movie to nothing more but squealing canon fodder. Alien 3 took it back to its routes by stripping the characters back and making them vulnerable. The movie had two ways to go, it either went back to a horror and suspenseful feel or forward and upped the amount of Aliens and action like Resurrection. On top of Newt and Hicks dying, what makes it so bad? We get a new type of Alien who terrorises these born again religious inmates on this prison planet. More than that, the Ripley character finally ends her story and comes full circle as a character. She went from a standard heroin to facing her demons face on to finally embracing her fate and ending the xenomorph species as we knew it. The atmosphere of the film was spot on.. it was moody and depressing but it was supposed to be, a run down prison facility filled with rapists and murderers, Ripley mourning her fallen comrades whilst dealing with her own Alien pregnation.. wasn't going to be all cheap smiles and one liners was it? The cast was far superior with the likes of Charles Dutton, Charles Dance and Pete Postlethwaite. What about that epic scene when they're about incinerate Newt and Hicks, the speech and the symbolic parallel of life and death as they are put to rest as the Alien is being born? Lets not forget we got this movie after all the production and director issues it went through.

Whats Alien Resurrections excuse? As a sequel to Alien 3 and the franchise as a whole, it had no point whatsoever. I'm surprised Sigourney Weaver came back for this as it did nothing but undo her character arc from the previous movies and crap all over it. "I know, lets make her half human, half alien and give her black nail varnish and crap one liners"...great. There is nothing memorable or worth mentioning about this film. People often say its "90's cheese at its finest and doesn't take itself seriously" ..yeah, exactly what we want from an Alien sequel, 90s cheese. The cast were forgettable as was the plot and it felt like a pointless ride to get Ripley back to Earth which ultimately meant nothing cause the film ended and there was never a 5th movie. There were some decent actors in the film in retrospect but who honestly cared about Ron Perlman being in it back then or even now for that sake? Even if you look at the budget for both movies, Alien 3 was cheaper and made just as much as Resurrection which cost roughly 20 million more to make. Their rotten tomatoes scores are similar but keep in mind Resurrection has had over 20 more reviewers on it to reach that score.

Couldn't agree more, well said :thumbs:

• Thanks
Reactions: Covcraig
Said no one ever.

Tell me what makes Alien Resurrection so far more superior? It certainly wasn't the script, comedy, cgi that looked worse than Alien 3 or the cast.
well, the whole prison story or the script in general wasnt my cup of tea. sure, the script of Alien Resurrection isnt much better, but I enjoyed it more than Alien 3. maybe it's the b movie style I like.
the cgi is totally crap in Alien 3 ...wtf?

latest

there are multiple mistakes later in the movie, when the cgi Alien is grown up.
scene 1: "practical" Alien
scene 2: cgi Alien ...but much much smaller

in Alien Resurrection the Aliens havent diifferent sizes, when switching from practical to cgi

in the end it doesnt matter, because both sucks big time

• Thanks
Reactions: Hereticz
You talk crap mate. So the movie is the measure of all things bad because it wasn't your cup of tea? The gospel of movie critique right there everybody!!!

Alien has never been and should never be seen as a 'b' movie. Do you think with the likes of Ridley Scott, James Cameron and David Fincher directing they were out to make a b movie? That point you make right there basically renders any opinion you have on this matter mute.. You'd pick a dumb action and plot movie over a suspenseful atmospheric horror (basically what Alien is about).

Alien 3 made in 1992 for about 50-55 million, Alien Resurrection made in 1997 for 55-75 million, so apart from the fact CGI was in its early days and the five year gap in technology advancement there is also a 20 million dollar difference in budget.

I'm not quite sure what you are on about with the Alien changing sizes, I've personally never noticed anything wrong with the continuity in Alien size in the movie but that is nitpicking at best. Doesn't make it an inferior movie.

Next you'll be saying Robocop is crap because of the old special effects in comparison to the rebooted version.

Alien has never been and should never be seen as a 'b' movie.

Next you'll be saying Robocop is crap because of the old special effects in comparison to the rebooted version.
you were the one, who mentioned the cgi effects, not me!
AGAIN, Alien Resurrection has a b-movie touch, not the whole franchise!!! What I wanted to say: the b-movie touch made it more watchable. All I was feeling when I watched Alien 3 the last time: was pain! damn, it hurt so much watching this movie ...and of course I laugh, when I saw the cgi Alien.

I love the old practical effects ...these are untouchable, so the Robocop remake can kiss my ass.

You've actually made zero argument for why Resurrection is better than 3 other than the CGI and Alien size is apparently more consistent and you feel the 'B' movie style lends itself better to the movie. No justification for why the plot, characters, script, setting or actors are better or why the film even needed to be made.

tumblr_inline_onwrnhlKkv1ryuxjl_500.gif

Well, if we're putting up a list then here's my list of all 6 movies from the Alien franchise. Keep in mind i could count the number of time i've seen 3 and Resurrection with one finger.
  1. Alien
  2. Alien 2
  3. Alien: Covenant
  4. Prometheus <-- Great movie but not a great 'alien' horror movie. If we're rating movies on their own Prometheus would be #3 instead.
@Actarus I recommend you watch Alien: Covenant. It tried to find a balance between being sequel to Prometheus vs going back to Alien horror franchise roots. Ultimately it did not do a great job at being a sequel to Prometheus but it was a much better Alien pre/sequel.

You've actually made zero argument for why Resurrection is better than 3 other than the CGI and Alien size is apparently more consistent and you feel the 'B' movie style lends itself better to the movie. No justification for why the plot, characters, script, setting or actors are better or why the film even needed to be made.
the characters in Alien Resurrection are more memorable, we have the crazy one who also do the jokes, the weapon guy and the mechanic and of course their boss. the mercenary group working good together as characters. I cant remember any Alien 3 character I like.
both films shouldnt have been made, only because I said that AR is better than A3 it doesnt mean I like this movie. the b movie style and the characters made is more watchable, nothing more.
you can never make something wrong with a spaceship setting. the idea of the prison setting wasnt bad, but the script destroyed it.

• Thanks
Reactions: Hereticz
Alien 3 made in 1992 for about 50-55 million, Alien Resurrection made in 1997 for 55-75 million, so apart from the fact CGI was in its early days and the five year gap in technology advancement there is also a 20 million dollar difference in budget.
You forgot the inflation of about 13% and Sigourney's salary increase from 4 to 11 million dollars between the two films so they're pretty much identical, but who cares :coffee:.

I'm not going to pick sides or anything here, but Alien 3 and Resurrection are both absolute garbage. So is Prometheus to an extent and tbh I didn't really like Covenant either, but it was a step in the right direction.

Seeing as everyone is posting theirs, my order:

1. Aliens
  2. Alien
  3. Prometheus
  4. Alien3
  5. Alien: Covenant
  6. Alien Resurrection
I dig the assembly cut of Alien3 & like the overall tone of it. Don't agree with some of the decisions made at the start but I do like the ending.

Seeing as everyone is posting theirs, my order:

1. Aliens
  2. Alien
  3. Prometheus
  4. Alien3
  5. Alien: Covenant
  6. Alien Resurrection
I dig the assembly cut of Alien3 & like the overall tone of it. Don't agree with some of the decisions made at the start but I do like the ending.

This list is the same as mine. Covenant would've been better if the Engineers weren't just a minor plot point and the last act with the Alien on the ship weren't rushed and ripped off from Alien and Aliens

• Thanks
Reactions: Strangerbyday
I am puzzled as to why members are posting the orders of the films differently than the official order. I haven't seen Covenant yet as I always stay away from trailers and Spoilers for movies I have yet to see(so please no Spoiler), but Since it was said that Prometheus was going to be the first of 3 movie prequel to Alien, so I am expecting this order(but maybe I will understand people's reasoning when I see it).

I Loved Loved Loved Prometheus and Covenant being stated as the official sequel to Prometheus. When the movie ended Dr. Shaw(Noomi Rapace) uses the makers' Ship to go to their home planet for answers, so from the ending Covenant should take place on the makers' home planet but what leaves me confused from the credit Cast of Covenant is that she is not part of the main characters... Just waiting for the movie to be released to watch it, hopefully before this GB goes live as there is mixed reviews for this movie.

• Thanks
Reactions: AlienKing
Can I get this release as a stand alone steelbook? Like no slips? MantaLabs does amazing slips, but I just want the steel on its own so I can line it up w/ the Zavvi releases lol #OCD

Can I get this release as a stand alone steelbook? Like no slips? MantaLabs does amazing slips, but I just want the steel on its own so I can line it up w/ the Zavvi releases lol #OCD

No this will not be available as a bare steelbook for purchase, it is a WEA with 3 Different Package Slip

I am puzzled as to why members are posting the orders of the films differently than the official order. I haven't seen Covenant yet as I always stay away from trailers and Spoilers for movies I have yet to see(so please no Spoiler), but Since it was said that Prometheus was going to be the first of 3 movie prequel to Alien, so I am expecting this order(but maybe I will understand people's reasoning when I see it).

They're posting how much they enjoyed each and rating them as such, not the chronological order.

Reactions: Actarus