Purchase link: HMV
Price: £24.99
Group buy: click here to join
Notes: 4K Ultra HD, 3D Blu-ray, 2D Blu-ray, Bonus Blu-ray Disc and Comic

02-484043.jpg

03-484043.jpg
01-484043.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Fingers crossed we have a better finish (gloss) compared to US.

Our steels differ a lot with the U.K. having the lackster finish comparing to them so I'm hoping it's the other way round with this one

• Thanks
Reactions: goufcustom
Matte or zero the Meinerding may be but still looks good (US edition) as can be seen in this slightly weird unboxing:-

upload_2017-10-15_14-11-3.png
upload_2017-10-15_14-14-22.png
upload_2017-10-15_14-17-32.png

Cool disc art . . . not so cool inside art when compared to . . .
upload_2017-10-15_14-21-23.png

Bit surprised they didn't gloss this as they've done with the recent mini wave of Illustrated Art steelbooks but I guess the reason is that those are coming from a different studio/distributor . . .

Maybe it'll be Blufans who takes this artwork and runs with it . . . giving it the treatment it deserves - embossed Spidey and all full gloss to give some real zing to those gorgeous colours.

If these fronts are confirmed . . . looks like they've gone for something similar with the BLADE RUNNER 2049 steelbook release . . . with one shiny / metallic and the other artistic:-
upload_2017-10-15_13-28-32.png
upload_2017-10-15_13-32-43.png
-------------------------------
upload_2017-10-15_13-31-26.png
upload_2017-10-15_13-30-10.png

Last edited:
Perhaps they paid Meinerding too much for his art and didn't have enough money left for gloss.

Meinerding is head of Marvel's Visual Development so in-house and no outsourcing here.
It's my understanding that gloss costs not a cent more than matte . . . so presumably an artistic decision by the Marvel boys - and of course Meinerding himself - maybe to reflect the graphic book art look.

• Helpful Post
Reactions: Stygian
Some unboxings make me cringe... some make me drowsy... some make me howl.

Who is the guy, the absolute weirdo and his mate that puts on a voice as if he is hosting an episode of Rainbow? :LOL:

Will this bonus disc be the same as the US Target bonus disc? That one is apparently a 20 minute feature on Spidey's rogues gallery.

Zero has no varnish at all. Matte, satin and gloss has varnish.

I'm sure the definition of Zero Finish was: Zero Finish - A neutral, low-gloss finish that maintains high color intensity and brightness.

Which is what the FNAC Wonder Woman has on it.

Meinerding is head of Marvel's Visual Development so in-house and no outsourcing here.
It's my understanding that gloss costs not a cent more than matte . . . so presumably an artistic decision by the Marvel boys - and of course Meinerding himself - maybe to reflect the graphic book art look.

Meinerding didn't even know his art was on a steelbook until a few days ago () so I highly doubt he was given a say on the finish.

U.K./ Europe confirmed matte :(

F*cking p*ssed about that.

Not sure whether to keep the kimchi version or cancel it

Zero has no varnish at all. Matte, satin and gloss has varnish.

I think you'll find that the ZERO finish is halfway between a MATTE and a GLOSS finish . . . you can see the differences best when comparing most of the Disney Marvel steelbooks (or others) to examples from Arrow or Eureka (or others).

There's also this - for at least the third time on this forum - courtesy Steelbookpro:-

Qu’est-ce que le “zero-finish” ?
Pour expliquer cette finition, on dit en général qu’il s’agit d’un intermédiaire entre mat et verni (glossy). En effet, si le mat de base se contente d’une simple impression, le zero-finish a une couche supplémentaire qui permet d’accentuer les contrastes et de faire ressortir les couleurs et les noirs. Un peu les qualités du glossy, mais avec moins de reflets brillants et moins de traces de doigts !

ZERO on the left ........................................................................................ MATTE on the right

A couple of examples . . . and do me a favour . . . please let this be the last time I have to post this information:-
MATTE on the left ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- ZERO on the right

A couple of examples of UK steelbooks in a ZERO finish:-
ty.jpg
3_zoom_cloverfield_steelbook.jpg

. . . and a couple of examples of UK steelbooks in a MATTE finish:-
upload_2017-7-23_0-16-43-png.323655
14tyfqx.jpg

Meinerding didn't even know his art was on a steelbook until a few days ago () so I highly doubt he was given a say on the finish.

Decisions on artwork, treatment and finish are made by the studios' design teams in consultation with Scanavo's own design team.

If Meinerding didn't know that his artwork (and signature) was featured on the front and back of 10,000 - or however many there are - steelbooks then colour me surprised.
He certainly must have known however that his artwork was slap bang on the front and back of Marvel Studios' THE ART OF THE MOVIE: SPIDER-MAN - HOMECOMING
upload_2017-10-18_3-29-20.png
upload_2017-10-18_3-30-31.png
upload_2017-10-18_3-37-16.png

I think you'll find that the ZERO finish is halfway between a MATTE and a GLOSS finish . . . you can see the differences best when comparing most of the Disney Marvel steelbooks (or others) to examples from Arrow or Eureka (or others).

There's also this - for at least the third time on this forum - courtesy Steelbookpro:-

Qu’est-ce que le “zero-finish” ?
Pour expliquer cette finition, on dit en général qu’il s’agit d’un intermédiaire entre mat et verni (glossy). En effet, si le mat de base se contente d’une simple impression, le zero-finish a une couche supplémentaire qui permet d’accentuer les contrastes et de faire ressortir les couleurs et les noirs. Un peu les qualités du glossy, mais avec moins de reflets brillants et moins de traces de doigts !

ZERO on the left ........................................................................................ MATTE on the right

A couple of examples . . . and do me a favour . . . please let this be the last time I have to post this information:-
MATTE on the left ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- ZERO on the right

A couple of examples of UK steelbooks in a ZERO finish:-
ty.jpg
3_zoom_cloverfield_steelbook.jpg

. . . and a couple of examples of UK steelbooks in a MATTE finish:-
upload_2017-7-23_0-16-43-png.323655
14tyfqx.jpg

Are you talking about satin finish? There are 3 types of varnish: matte, satin and gloss. Zero means none. Please don’t post it again as I am not even sure what you are saying is accurate.