USA
Release Date: December 16, 2008
Purchase: Amazon

Hong Kong
102 minutes
Color
1.66:1
Cantonese

The whiplash, double-pronged Chungking Express is one of the defining works of nineties cinema and the film that made Hong Kong filmmaker Wong Kar-wai an instant icon. Two heartsick Hong Kong cops (Takeshi Kaneshiro and Tony Leung), both jilted by ex-lovers, cross paths at the Midnight Express take-out restaurant stand, where the ethereal pixie waitress Faye (Faye Wong) works. Anything goes in Wong’s gloriously shot and utterly unexpected charmer, which cemented the sex appeal of its gorgeous stars and forever turned canned pineapple and the Mamas and the Papas’ “California Dreamin’” into tokens of romantic longing.

Disc Features:
  1. New, restored high-definition digital transfer, with Dolby Digital 5.1 soundtrack (DVD edition) and DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1 soundtrack (Blu-ray edition) supervised by director Wong Kar-wai
  2. Remastered Dolby Digital 5.1 soundtrack supervised by director Wong Kar-wai
  3. Audio commentary by noted Asian cinema critic Tony Rayns
  4. U.S. theatrical trailer
  5. Episode excerpt from the BBC Television series Moving Pictures, featuring Wong and cinematographer Christopher Doyle
  6. New and improved English subtitle translation
  7. PLUS: A booklet featuring a new essay by critic Amy Taubin

Chungking Express.jpeg

Trailer:

Last edited by a moderator:
i bought this at only $20 :D apparently, the seller sells it cheap because it won't sold for a year or so. lucky me :D

am waiting for In The Mood For Love BD if criterion willing to upgrade 'em :D

Didn't they change the packaging for this one? went from a digipack style case to a regular bluray case.

Yes, however some stores seem to sell the original packaging. I have all of the titles that were later released as amaray, and they all came in digpacks. Some were bought this year from B&N.

Yes, however some stores seem to sell the original packaging. I have all of the titles that were later released as amaray, and they all came in digpacks. Some were bought this year from B&N.

I remember I was after the digi release for sometimes but could only fine the amaray case version.

I loooooooooove this film - saw it years ago thanks to the 'Tarantino Effect', especially love the bits with guy who talks to his soap (or was it his cloth it's so long since I've seen it) :)

I wish Criterion would handle all of Wong Kar Wai's movies. Pretty sad that they lost the rights to The Killer as well. I would love for them to release more classic HK flicks on Blu-ray. I like the Japanese releases, but think a bit more diversity in terms of their Asian releases would be great. :)

2046 and/or In the Mood for Love would be nice, the rest are available elsewhere from Kino and some imports