Digital IMAX vs DLP Theater Screens

Apr 7, 2011
Glendale, AZ
Hey all --

So I know that Digital IMAX sucks in comparison to 'real' IMAX. But my question is, how does it compare to DLP theater projection?

Take cost out of it, angst about IMAX watering itself down, etc.... is the picture/sound at least a little bit better with Digital IMAX? Does it at least guarantee you a better-then-average screen/presentation... whereas you could walk into your standard DLP showing and realize 'Ah nuts, we got one of the smaller screens!"???

I ask because I've done a lot of research, and the only times I've seen comparison to the two is in a heated article/debate where the author has a serious bone to pick about Digital IMAX not being as large and clear as true IMAX.

Could anyone please weigh in with your experiences? I'm taking my wife out to see Super 8 this week, and want to get the best experience possible. I'd go to a 'real' IMAX theater for it, but unfortunately I don't live near one now that I'm in Glendale, AZ.... and we don't get out very often because we have two little ones... so I'd rather not learn my lesson the hard way. ;)

Last edited:
Go see it in IMAX ,
Many years ago I went to Boston Science Museum and went to IMAX theatre there for first time and WOW, I was totally blown away.
Long story short , my theatre here finally opened an IMAX. First thing I said when I went was this isn't IMAX? Was smaller than I remember. But it is only IMAX here in my area thank goodness lol. So I only go to IMAX movies unless they aren't in that format.
My recommendation is go, you will love it.....
One piece of advice, if it is not 3D movie, sit where u like, but if it is a 3D movie u gonna see in IMAX, sit further up in theatre because of vision, u will see what I mean when u go lol
:)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have one true IMAX theater close to me and the price difference is not bad. The "imax" on the regular theaters are not the correct size and the price might be higher too. I would just go to a digital dlp quality is good and the sound is great too.

Thanks for the advice guys.

I'll try out the Digital IMAX for Super 8 (2D).... and judge it that way... because the other movie I want to see this summer is Transfomers 3 in 3-D, wish I had a 'real' IMAX near me to see it in, but hopefully this Digital IMAX is solid too.