Disney Converting The Lion King to 3D and Roger Rabbit Sequel Update

Horhay

ホルヘ
Jan 27, 2009
San Pedro, CA
Disney is a studio that knows how to mine its back catalog; no other company has been as adept at re-releasing films to an eager audience. Looks like the latest to be mined will be The Lion King, which the studio is working to convert to 3D. Along with news on that, we’ve got updates on the Roger Rabbit sequel and bad news about The Snow Queen, the Hans Christian Anderson adaptation once thought to be an upcoming hand-drawn animated film.

Empire talked to producer Don Hahn as he hit the UK to check out pre-production on Tim Burton’s Frankenweenie and promote the Beauty and the Beast blu-ray. The mag learned from Hahn that a 3D conversion of The Lion King is being prepped. The producer says,

I’m actually trying to work out a 3D conversion of The Lion King. I’ll be doing that when I go back to the States in a couple of weeks.

He says that won’t be hitting theaters soon, as Disney will take their time getting the conversion right. He does report that Tim Burton thinks the 3D version of The Nightmare Before Christmas is better than the original “because it allows you to walk onto the set.”

More interesting to some will be Hahn’s statment, light on detail but long on confirmation, that the sequel to Who Framed Roger Rabbit? is really going forward.

Yeah, I couldn’t possibly comment. I deny completely, but yeah… if you’re a fan, pretty soon you’re going to be very, very, very happy.

Finally, Hahn dropped a bomb on The Snow Queen — he says the film is shelved for now, because they haven’t been able to crack the script. That doesn’t mean the movie is dead. As he points out, films like Beauty and the Beast were in development for a long time before the script came together.

It’s actually been tabled right now…we don’t have the story. It’s a bit like Beauty And The Beast, which sat there for years…The Snow Queen we’ve had a lot of trouble with and I’ve spent years on it. I love it and I think it’s one of the last great fairy tales. It’s kind of crappy that it’s just sitting there right now.

There have already been several attempts over the past few years to make The Snow Queen work, but apparently the latest ones have also come to naught. It isn’t difficult to guess that Hahn and Disney will try again to make The Snow Queen, but for now don’t expect to see it in the next couple years.

/Film http://www.slashfilm.com/2010/06/22...the-snow-queen-shelved-for-now/#ixzz0rhAkQqDC

I am not sure how the Lion King would work in 3D I guess time will tell!:scat:

Per Comingsoon:

Walt Disney Pictures announced today that The Lion King will return to theaters in 3D on September 16 before hitting Blu-ray and Blu-ray 3D on October 4. The full details:

Simba, Mufasa, Nala, Timon and Pumbaa are back and better than ever this fall when Disney’s “The Lion King” roars into theaters and homes in breathtaking 3D. A special two-week theatrical extravaganza kicks off Sept. 16, 2011, showcasing the Oscar®- and Golden Globe®-winning film on the big screen in Disney Digital 3D™ for the first time ever, and its highly anticipated home entertainment debut kicks off October 4, celebrating the Diamond Edition release of the epic movie “The Lion King” in high-definition Blu-ray™ and Blu-ray 3D™.

“‘The Lion King’ is the best-selling home entertainment release of all time—and this is ‘The Lion King’ like never before,” said Bob Chapek, president of distribution, The Walt Disney Studios. “The all-new 3D format immerses viewers in the epic settings and puts them face-to-face with these beloved characters. We’re showcasing one of the all-time favorite Disney movies in theaters and making it available in Blu-ray hi-def and in Blu-ray 3D—it’s the must-see, must-own title for everyone.”

Nearly a decade since “The Lion King” last appeared on the big screen, the upcoming theatrical release invites new generations into the “Circle of Life.” The two-week, 3D-only presentation is a planned wide domestic release—the biggest since the film’s 1994 debut—and the film’s first-ever 3D release.

The Blu-ray debut marks the first time “The Lion King” has been available in any form since 2004. Featuring pristine high definition picture and sound, the Blu-ray creates an incredible at-home experience with a host of picture and sound enhancements, interactive features and bonus content, including a new set of hilarious animated bloopers.

“The Lion King”: Diamond Edition home entertainment release will be available from the Disney Vault for a limited time only beginning October 4 as follows:
• 4-Disc Blu-ray Combo Pack (for the suggested retail price of $49.99 U.S./ $56.99 Canada)
o “The Lion King” = Blu-ray 3D + Blu-ray 2D + DVD + Digital Copy™
• 2-Disc Blu-ray Combo Pack (for the suggested retail price of $39.99 U.S./$46.99 Canada)
o “The Lion King” = Blu-ray 2D + DVD
• 8-Disc Trilogy (for the suggested retail price of $100.00 U.S./ $115.00 Canada)
o “The Lion King” = Blu-ray 3D + Blu-ray 2D + DVD + Digital Copy
o “The Lion King 1 ½” = Blu-ray 2D + DVD
o “The Lion King II: Simba’s Pride” = Blu-ray 2D + DVD

And the one-disc DVD Edition will be available on November 15.

“The Lion King,” first released in 1994, won the Oscar® for Best Original Score (Hans Zimmer) and Best Original Song (Elton John/Tim Rice “Can You Feel the Love Tonight”), earning Golden Globes® in both categories, as well as for Best Motion Picture—Comedy or Musical.

The film inspired an immensely popular, Tony Award®-winning Broadway musical, which is currently featured on stages worldwide. It became the seventh longest-running musical in Broadway history in January 2011.

ad7f6077-ce2b-fa08.jpg

It's 3D you can expect from a film like this. Some things POP while others don't. This is by far my favorite movie from Disney and enjoyed it. The place was jam packed. Get there early if you plan on going this weekend.

Reactions: tony_roach
I love 3D. In fact I have this movie in 3D on my phone from the actual Bluray release. The 3D effect here is identical to what you see in the theater.

Per CNN:

Nostalgia wins again! Disney's The Lion King 3D, a technologically enhanced
re-release of the 1994 animated classic, tore up the competition at the box
office this weekend, earning an estimated $29.3 million — more than the other
three newcomers combined.

In The Lion King`s original theatrical run, it roared up a stunning $312.9
million total, becoming the highest-grossing animated film in box office history
at that time. The film earned another $15.7 million during a 2002 IMAX
re-release, and now another $29.3 million during the first weekend of its
two-week run. All told, Simba and co. have grossed $357.8 million in theaters
domestically over the last two decades.

And then there's the home market, where Disney is hoping buyers will seek out
The Lion King on Blu-ray 3D when it debuts on Oct. 4. According to The-Numbers,
The Lion King has amassed $1.5 billion in home market revenue from video sales
and rentals, and after the profitable publicity of this weekend, that number
should be moving up shortly. The Mouse House converted The Lion King into 3-D
for a very low cost (a rep for the studio said "the low single digits"), so even
if the film completely bombs on DVD — which it won't — it's already proving to
be a big success.

An impressive 92 percent of The Lion King 3D`s gross came from 3-D screens, and
it earned a terrific $12,575 per theater average by playing to a very wide range
of moviegoers. People under the age of 25 made up 59 percent of the audience, as
families (who made up 74 percent of the audience) took their kids to see the
film. Still, many couples and young people without children saw the film simply
for nostalgic reasons. Women slightly edged out men in rewatching the popular
musical — females made up 56 percent of the crowd.
FALL MOVIES: Get the latest news, photos, and more

But enough about lions — let's get to the rest of the chart! Last weekend's
champ, Contagion, came in second place, declining just 35 percent to $14.5
million and lifting its total to $44.2 million. The well-reviewed illness
thriller remained a top choice for adult audiences on a weekend when Straw Dogs,
Drive, and I Don't Know How She Does It were all targeting them as well. If the
Warner Brothers picture can maintain soft week-to-week drops, it will have no
trouble earning back its $60 million budget.

Ryan Gosling's artsy thriller Drive raced into third place with $11 million. The
R-rated FilmDistrict production, directed by Nicolas Winding Refn, played mostly
to an older crowd, as 75 percent of the audience was 25 or older. Unfortunately,
not everyone who saw the film liked it — despite strong critical reviews,
audiences issued Drive a harsh "C–" CinemaScore grade, which does not bode well
for its box-office longevity. Hopefully this is not a sign of things to come to
Gosling/Refn collaborations. The film earned a fair $3,818 per theater average.

In fourth place was Disney's stalwart August release The Help, which continued
to work up solid numbers in its sixth weekend. The Kathryn Stockett adaptation
fell by 28 percent to $6.4 million, and it has now earned $147.4 million against
its $25 million budget. If only the films in fifth and sixth place were so
lucky…

Straw Dogs debuted in fifth place with a very weak $5 million. The Sony remake
(of Sam Peckinpah's 1971 film with Dustin Hoffman), which played mostly to males
(60 percent) and older audiences (61 percent at least 25 years-old) has already
exhibited major frontloadedness, earning $2 million on Friday but only 2.5 times
that over the full frame. With a "C" CinemaScore grade, Straw Dogs will be lucky
to break $10 million total.

Next up was Sarah Jessica Parker's rom-com I Don't Know How She Does It, which I
can only imagine is a two-hour clip of Parker wondering how she (obviously,
Nala), actually does it (makes money at the box office). The Weinstein
production, produced for about $20-25 million, earned just $4.5 million over the
Friday-to-Sunday period, failing even to live up to Parker's 2009 box-office
bomb Did You Hear About The Morgans?, which debuted to $6.6 million. The film
was viewed by 74 percent females, and it received a "B–" CinemaScore grade.

Other notable box-office happenings this weekend: Rise of the Planet of the Apes
crossed the $170 million plateau, Crazy Stupid Love surpassed $80 million total,
and Kevin Hart: Laugh At My Pain earned another $1.2 million out of only 230
theaters, lifting its 10-day total to a remarkable $3.6 million.

1. The Lion King 3D — $29.3 mil
2. Contagion — $14.5 mil
3. Drive — $11.0 mil
4. The Help — $6.4 mil
5. Straw Dogs — $5.0 mil
6. I Don't Know Who She Does It — $4.5 mil
7. The Debt — $2.9 mil
8. Warrior — $2.8 mil
9. Rise of the Planet of the Apes — $2.6 mil
10. Colombiana — $2.3 mil