Pop!/Movies/TV Mod
Premium Supporter
Nov 4, 2010
Vancouver Canada
4.00 star(s) Rating: 4.00/5 1 Votes
Title: Flora and Son

Genre: Comedy, Drama, Music

Director: John Carney

Cast: Eve Hewson, Orén Kinlan, Joseph Gordon-Levitt, Amy Huberman, Jack Reynor, Sophie Vavasseur, Kelly Thornton, Keith McErlean, Aislín McGuckin, Marcella Plunkett, Paul Reid, Don Wycherley, Margarita Murphy

Release: 2023-09-22

Runtime: 97

Plot: Single mom Flora is at war with her teenage son, petty thief Max. Encouraged by the police to find Max a hobby, she rescues a beat-up guitar from a dumpster and finds that one person's trash can be a family's salvation.

I'm a huge John Carney fan. Once is one of my favorite films ever so I had to watch this.

It's good. Maybe not quite as good as some of his other "musicals"... but I still really enjoyed it.

My Rankings:
1. Once
2. Begin Again
3. Sing Street
4. Flora and Son

Probably one of the reasons why it doesn't appear higher is because the songs aren't as memorable as his other films. They aren't bad. Just not as catchy.
That said, Joseph Gordon-Levitt is amazing as always. And I really loved the way that they did his scenes and that he wasn't just on a screen the whole time.

If you liked Carney's other work, you'll like this too.

I'm a huge John Carney fan. Once is one of my favorite films ever so I had to watch this.

It's good. Maybe not quite as good as some of his other "musicals"... but I still really enjoyed it.

My Rankings:
1. Once
2. Begin Again
3. Sing Street
4. Flora and Son

Probably one of the reasons why it doesn't appear higher is because the songs aren't as memorable as his other films. They aren't bad. Just not as catchy.
That said, Joseph Gordon-Levitt is amazing as always. And I really loved the way that they did his scenes and that he wasn't just on a screen the whole time.

If you liked Carney's other work, you'll like this too.
I hadn't even realised this was out yet. I'll have to check it out asap.

Movie information in first post provided by The Movie Database