Gladiator Steelbooks - My opinion on best to have

Wreck

Is Here To Serve
Staff Member
Jan 26, 2009
USA
Best Gladiator SteelBook All Around:

Gladiator Taiwan - Its basically the same steel as thailand but comes with a really cool slipcover that features asian lettering ; if you like asian lettering then you will like this. Extremely rare and hard to find, and with the slip it makes it future-proof in regards to value. The sword and shield and other parts of the steelbook give off a bling shine effect in contrast to the rest of the steel. The slip also features the mask which is what the UK steel looks like so its kinda the best of both worlds. All other white Gladiator steels released at that time didnt come close to the Taiwan/Thai one.

gladiatortw6.jpg

More pics: http://www.bluraysteelbooks.com/2009/11/gladiator-taiwan-blu-ray-steelbook-release/

Next Best: UK/MX one. The mask art, its unique compared to the rest.

DSC02747.JPG

Best Bang for your Buck (and perhaps sought after in the future): The Universal 100 Germany release. It is kind of in the essence of the taiwan one minus the slip as it has shiny shield etc. as well but it does have a nicer feel and finish then the straight matte one of the thai/taiwan one. You have to open this one to appreciate it.

mys_vehD2Tn11t9uzchYTUQ.jpg

And while not a steelbook ; the Blu-ray steelcase/metal slip sleeve has insane detail/embossing and appeal that its easily in the class of the Gladiator Taiwan and much easier to find. (while still pricey tho)

78293296.jpg

While there are some films I have no problem double dipping on ... and I do like this movie a lot ... I actually wish I hadn't dipped on it so much. But, these are all so beautiful that I cant force myself to let go of any. So that says a lot.

I also have 2 others that include Robin Hood in double/triple movie steels.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have multiple Gladiator Steels as well and have the slipcase from a gift. The Taiwan slip is fresh and I am not really into slips but I love that one!

STAFF
hidefninja.com

Sent from LV-426 on
iPhone

oh come on Wreck did you really have to make this thread. :p You know I cant not buy anything Gladiator, lol. I have all of them except the TW version. Never really cared for slips but that one is nice. Maybe if I come across one a decent price I guess.

My biggest disappointment is that the UK version has those horrendous ratings logo's printed.

Already pre-ordered the upcoming UK Gladiator digibook so that will get added to the collection as well :)

If any of you have seen the "bulletproof" edition steelbook of the dvd version of Gladiator... I would love to see that artwork releases in G2 on blu. It would just be amazing!

I have all of them except the TW version. Having never owned it or even clapped eyes on it, it's a bit difficult to say how beautiful it is, lol. But I'll take your word for it Wreck :)

Having said that the Gladiator AUS Steelcase is simply stunning. I seriously can't get over it. Such fantastic packaging for such a brilliant movie. The two are perfect together!

I'd like the TW version also. I have to agree with Raj that the Aussie slip is awesome. I think it's the best of those slip cases.

The Taiwan version is stunning and a very special slip. If the UK one did not have the age rating logo it would had made so much of a difference. The AUS steel case has some very awesome embossed lettering :).

oh come on Wreck did you really have to make this thread. :p You know I cant not buy anything Gladiator, lol. I have all of them except the TW version. Never really cared for slips but that one is nice. Maybe if I come across one a decent price I guess.

My biggest disappointment is that the UK version has those horrendous ratings logo's printed.

Already pre-ordered the upcoming UK Gladiator digibook so that will get added to the collection as well :)

If any of you have seen the "bulletproof" edition steelbook of the dvd version of Gladiator... I would love to see that artwork releases in G2 on blu. It would just be amazing!

Is that the one with half the helmet on the front and the back and when you open you see the whole Helmet?

I would LOVE a UK (play.com :naughty:) rerelease! Without blue banner and the Logos... maybe some more text on the front can also be removed :D

My favourite is the one I bought in Berlin last week, the German Universal 100 (Best bang for your buck)..

Is that the one with half the helmet on the front and the back and when you open you see the whole Helmet?

I would LOVE a UK (play.com :naughty:) rerelease! Without blue banner and the Logos... maybe some more text on the front can also be removed :D

^^^^ yup thats the one.

Hey Jason, any pics of the bulletproof one?

hey, DB.... you ask and you shall recieve...

front
http://www.collect-that-game.com/wp...on_bulletproof_collection_steelbook_front.jpg

back
http://www.collect-that-game.com/wp...ion_bulletproof_collection_steelbook_back.jpg

and open together
http://www.collect-that-game.com/wp...on_bulletproof_collection_steelbook_full2.jpg

^^^ thats steel in g2 with a clean non printed back plus gladiator along the side embossed on the front and no banner would be just amazing IMO

Reactions: dirtyoak
Appreciate the posts on this one. This is one film I've yet to grab a steel for but I've been looking around for. The UK helmet version what I'm shooting for.

Wow Wreck, that German Universal steelbook looks beautiful (just ordered!) Shame about the price of the Blu-ray steelcase/metal slip sleeve, bit too steep for me but I´m happy adding the German one to my still quite small (but growing ;)) steel collection.

Wow Wreck, that German Universal steelbook looks beautiful (just ordered!) Shame about the price of the Blu-ray steelcase/metal slip sleeve, bit too steep for me but I´m happy adding the German one to my still quite small (but growing ;)) steel collection.

Also just bought my 100th Anniversary Gladiator yesterday :drool:

Really great value for the money ;)

Front with the glossy/shiny Shield :scat: