Kit Bashing - Custom Figures

Wreck

Is Here To Serve
Staff Member
Jan 26, 2009
USA
Anyone on these forums do this? Or have done this? Or just own some custom ones?

lookin good so far, I should show you a close up of my display stand for HEAT ... turned out cool by accident lol. I just kept spraying it black, then it gave it some neat laquer like look.

lookin good so far, I should show you a close up of my display stand for HEAT ... turned out cool by accident lol. I just kept spraying it black, then it gave it some neat laquer like look.

Hmm. That's an idea, I was thinking of just taking a sticker and doing an overlay with that.

Need help deciding. Which sculpt do I go with? Bald (and do the hair myself / someone else do it) or with hair sculpted?

Not sure that I'm completely on board with the artists' choice on the one with sculpted hair though... :(

IMG_8200.jpg
IMG_8201.jpg

img0607el.jpg

img0610lz.jpg

Do you know a good painter Andy? I need to find one for my Eli head.

As for the head, I think doing the hair would be extremely hard unless you know of someone who has pre-made like wigs etc. Sculpted hair on a woman might be weird tho like you say. If he is making more than one for peeps ... perhaps you can ask to see a version with sculpted hair when complete before making your decision.

---------- Post added at 08:39 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:31 AM ----------

ps. I had got a white shirt for my Aldo IB to complete that. (minus a rose, but doubt I will find and dont care too much about it) Also got some good Eli Pants ...

Do you know a good painter Andy? I need to find one for my Eli head.

As for the head, I think doing the hair would be extremely hard unless you know of someone who has pre-made like wigs etc. Sculpted hair on a woman might be weird tho like you say. If he is making more than one for peeps ... perhaps you can ask to see a version with sculpted hair when complete before making your decision.

---------- Post added at 08:39 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:31 AM ----------

ps. I had got a white shirt for my Aldo IB to complete that. (minus a rose, but doubt I will find and dont care too much about it) Also got some good Eli Pants ...

I do - it's this guy on another forum, he goes by the name smallstudios. I can PM you a link to some stuff on his blog if you need it.

RE: Wigs - yeah, I found a couple of places that do it. So you can get the wig and skull cap to keep it straight on. Not sure that I like the effect though.

The sculptor went back after some folks spoke up.

This is what he came up with. I think I found the one I want. :eek:

Last edited:
What is that Penis hanging from her hair? lol. It does look good tho. Damn that guy sculpts AND paints that good!?

What is that Penis hanging from her hair? lol. It does look good tho. Damn that guy sculpts AND paints that good!?

Hahah. No, that's a detachable hair part that will be cast separately. That way, folks can paint the entire face, and then it's up to the person that gets the sculpt to glue that piece back on (if desired) after it's painted.

Nope, that's a different dude doing the sculpting - his name is Erick Sosa - he's done a bunch of jaw dropping stuff.

For example....

img5284ya.jpg

Last edited:
Here's the final sculpt.

Now I'm just waiting for it to be cast - I think I'll take a break for a couple months to recover.

And then think about getting it painted.

The strand of hair in the front can optionally be added in later - glued on after painting.

Someone said that you're never done with a kit bash - you only decide to stop working on it. :ohno:

img0717y.jpg

img0722pv.jpg

Last edited:
looks really good. Yeah the first thing I bought was the sculpt for Eli and now pretty much everything else is complete but his head being painted lol. I had to recover as well.

looks really good. Yeah the first thing I bought was the sculpt for Eli and now pretty much everything else is complete but his head being painted lol. I had to recover as well.

One can really go bonkers with these kit bashes. I think you mentioned it in passing somewhere - for the cost on some of these, one can buy a brand new Hot Toys limited edition. :eek:

I'm now thinking of hopefully getting a Renner "hawkeye" head on the bay at some point if they ever end up there ... and making a Hurt Locker figure. Pretty easy to get all the army clothes etc.

I'm now thinking of hopefully getting a Renner "hawkeye" head on the bay at some point if they ever end up there ... and making a Hurt Locker figure. Pretty easy to get all the army clothes etc.

Those are some cool sculpts there. You still haven't painted the Eli head? How much does that run you?