Laputa: Castle In The Sky (Blu-ray SteelBook) (Zavvi Exclusive) [UK]

martinouchou

Premium Supporter
Sep 20, 2015
France
Release date: March 13, 2017
Purchase link: Zavvi (Pre-order on February 11, 2017)
Price: £15.99

11395576-1784452691362765.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Brilliant news . . . matching artwork and style , , , looking forward to adding this one and SPIRITED AWAY to the previous six.
Still aways to go to release steelbooks of those already released in Amarays but I can be patient if nothing else.

6PM U.K. time as usual.

RE: THE TITLE:
- Changed in The States - for obvious reasons taking into account the massive Hispanic population there - to just CASTLE IN THE SKY.
- A story originally written by Miyazaki later in 1989 turned into a two-part novel by Kameoka Osamu with illustrations by Miyazaki.
- Directly influenced by the floating island from Jonathan Swift's "Gulliver's Travels" (1726).
- Originally was to be entitled RAPUTA or RAPYUTA (from the Japanese TENKU NO SHIRO RAPUTA) - a title that would have avoided any Spanish language problems (lol).
- Other titles considered were YOUNG PAZU AND THE MYSTERY OF THE LEVITATION CRYSTAL, PRISONER OF THE CASTLE IN THE SKY, FLYING TREASURE ISLAND, THE FLYING EMPIRE etc.

RE: THE DUB:
- Originally Streamline Pictures theatrically distributed an English-dubbed print of Laputa from March 24, 1989 for the next year, but Streamline never dubbed it.
Streamline licensed Laputa from Tokuma Shoten in late 1988 or early 1989, and was sent a print from Japan that had already been dubbed into English for use as an in-flight movie by Japan Air Lines on its trans-Pacific flights. Tokuma Shoten commissioned an unknown company called Magnum to prepare this dub which was shown at a few art house theaters in the US. It has also been shown at least twice on TV in Britain, but some scenes were cut.
It's said to be an OK dub and is only found in the Ghibli LD Box Set and the R2 DVD but it's also been said, despite it being more literal, that it was a rushed job and almost impossible to listen to when compared to the later Disney dub.
- Disney redubbed the film with famous name actors including Mark Hamill, Anna Paquin, James Van der Beek, Cloris Leachman and Richard Dysart and commissioned Joe Hisaishi to update the soundtrack.

RE: THE SOUNDTRACK:
- Music composed by Joe Hisaishi in 1986 and re-done in 1999 for the English language version of the film.
The composer commented at the time, "According to Disney's staff, foreigners (non-Japanese) feel uncomfortable if there is no music for more than 3 minutes.
You see this in the Western movies, which have music throughout.
Especially, it is the natural state for a (non-Japanese) animated film to have music all the time. However in the original Laputa, there is only one-hour worth of music in the 2 hour 4 minute movie. There are parts that do not have any music for 7 to 8 minutes. So, we decided to redo the music as (the existing soundtrack) will not be suitable for (the markets) outside of Japan."
and
"If we just add new music, it won't go well with the music made in 14 years ago. So we completely re-recorded everything. Of course, we can not demolish the melody of Laputa, so I changed the arrangement of it while keeping its integrity.
"The American way of putting music in a movie is basically very simple. They just match the music with the characters. For example, when the army shows up on screen, you hear the army's theme. The music explains the screen images--that is the point of Hollywood music. Until this time, I avoided such an approach, as I felt that it would make music dull, although I understand such an approach. But when I redid (the music of Laputa this way), I learned a lot."
and
"We do not have a concrete plan for the soundtrack (album) release yet, but (the completed soundtrack) is great. Miyazaki-San was also very pleased."

Last edited:
No mention of print run on this or Spirited Away. I think all the others clocked in at 2000 copies. That sounds about right for this title, but I could see them going higher for SA.

• Thanks
Reactions: Keli5
I remember stumbling across this film completely by accident one day! It was being shown on the Film4 channel and I was lucky enough to catch it just as it was starting. I was totally blown away by it and that was my introduction to Studio Ghibli.
Preordered:thumbs:

Completely forgot about this going live... glad it hadn't sold out, although there doesn't seem to be much interest in here to be fair. But anyway... pre-ordered! :D

Completely forgot about this going live... glad it hadn't sold out, although there doesn't seem to be much interest in here to be fair. But anyway... pre-ordered! :D

i was exactly the same, pleased it's still available. i'm sure i'll get a 'Walking Dead Seasons 4-6' moment in a few months' time, when it's still available and much cheaper :sorry:, but i guess i'm happy to pay fuller price now to purchase the certainty (aka 'Group Buy syndrome'!). :)

btw, anyone know if this is Double Play, like [edit: some of] the first ones, or just a blu ray? still pre-ordered either way.

Last edited:
  • Thanks
Reactions: Noodles