Mediabook Monty Python’s : And Now For Something Completely Different (Blu-Ray Mediabook) [Germany]

Manqu

Premium Supporter
Oct 29, 2014
Release date: October 21st, 2016
Purchase link: amazon
Price: 24,09€

2D_MontyPythonsWunderbareWeltDerSchwerkraft_Mediabook-800x1101.jpg

Last edited:
  • Thanks
Reactions: navydavey
I never really dug this movie.
I am a huge Python fan - but this was them doing a "greatest hits" remake of their sketches as a long form film. And by remaking them, they felt uninspired compared to the original TV sketches.

• Thanks
Reactions: bluray hunter
I am a huge Python fan - but this was them doing a "greatest hits" remake of their sketches as a long form film. And by remaking them, they felt uninspired compared to the original TV sketches.

Couldn't agree less :LOL:

I'm a huge Monty Python fan also but in my opinion many of the sketches are streamlined and don't drag as long as some of the TV versions (fruit self defence and hells granny's off the top of my head), and upperclass twit couldn't be improved so they just included the TV version :thumbs:

Obviously this is just my opinion, I'm not saying I'm right I just want to discuss Python :drool:

I watched the movies many times over many years before I ever saw an episode of the TV series (the PBS in Memphis didn't carry that show when I was a kid in the 70s). It was jarring to me to hear a laugh track when I finally got to watch the series, and I never really got used to it. It somehow seems to dilute the surreal aspect of much of their humor--brings it back to earth, so to speak. I much prefer Python with no laugh track, so this film is the ideal version of these skits to me.

Last edited:
I watched the movies many times over many years before I ever saw an episode of the TV series (the PBS in Memphis didn't carry that show when I was a kid in the 70s). It was jarring to me to hear a laugh track when I finally got to watch the series, and I never really got used to it. It somehow seems to dilute the surreal aspect of much of their humor--brings it back to earth, so to speak. I much prefer Python with no laugh track, so this film is the ideal version of these skits to me.
So, basically, you can't watch or enjoy the entire Monty Python series because of the laugh track?
I find laugh tracks eminently ignorable. I don't even hear them.

• Thanks
Reactions: adarkcorner
Oh, hell no! I still love the series and watch it all the way through once every year or two :LOL:. It's just kind of a different animal from the movies, at least for me.
I just don't consider this one "one of the movies". It was made quickly to capitalize on the success of the series and broaden the base around the world. Like I said, it is more of a "greatest hits" album than an actual movie.

• Thanks
I just don't consider this one "one of the movies". It was made quickly to capitalize on the success of the series and broaden the base around the world. Like I said, it is more of a "greatest hits" album than an actual movie.

It's definitely more of a "greatest hits" showcase than a movie. And usually I'd feel exactly the way you do about that; but there are a few instances where I like the greatest hits collection, remake, or cover song better than the originals, because I heard (and loved) them first. For instance--and I know this is heresy and will make you cringe--I much prefer the Cowboy Junkies' cover of "Sweet Jane" to the original Velvet Underground song. When I fell in love with the Cowboy Junkies' version, I hadn't heard much (maybe any) VU, and I didn't even know it was a cover of another band's song. When I was introduced to the VU a couple of years later, I liked the original version, and I'm sure the prevailing opinion is that it's aesthetically superior, but it didn't (and still doesn't) evoke the intense emotional response from me that the cover version does.

And maybe even worse: The Sundays' cover of "Wild Horses" does more for me than the original does, too. Again, because I heard the cover first and fell in love with it.

Those particular examples may have something to do with the highly desirable females involved, though :LOL:.

Last edited:
Reactions: C.C. 95
It's definitely more of a "greatest hits" showcase than a movie. And usually I'd feel exactly the way you do about that; but there are a few instances where I like the greatest hits collection, remake, or cover song better than the originals, because I heard (and loved) them first. For instance--and I know this is heresy and will make you cringe--I much prefer the Cowboy Junkies' cover of "Sweet Jane" to the original Velvet Underground song. When I fell in love with the Cowboy Junkies' version, I hadn't heard much (maybe any) VU, and I didn't even know it was a cover of another band's song. When I was introduced to the VU a couple of years later, I liked the original version, and I'm sure the prevailing opinion is that it's aesthetically superior, but it didn't (and still doesn't) evoke the intense emotional response from me that the cover version does.

And maybe even worse: The Sundays' cover of "Wild Horses" does more for me than the original does, too. Again, because I heard the cover first and fell in love with it.

Those particular examples may have something to do with the highly desirable females involved, though :LOL:.
Trinity Sessions and the Reading, Writing, and Arithmetic albums were both GREAT albums...
I'm gonna go dig 'em up!
Ahhhhhh....the summer of 1990!
image.jpeg

I'm sorry...did you say something about Python?!:rofl:

Last edited:
  • Thanks
Trinity Sessions and the Reading, Writing, and Arithmetic albums were both GREAT albums...
I'm gonna go dig 'em up! Ahh.....the summer of 1990!
View attachment 255359
I'm sorry...did you say something about Python?!:rofl:

:rofl: And I thought I might lose your respect after those revelations! Great albums indeed--both of those are two of my very favorites from that time period. And now here I go to dig them up, too :LOL:.

:rofl: And I thought I might lose your respect after those revelations! Great albums indeed--both of those are two of my very favorites from that time period. And now here I go to dig them up, too :LOL:.
:rofl: You're good! I worked at a recod/video store in Denver that summer. I remember every release.
Other Highlights: Everybody Wants To Shag...The Teardrop Explodes, Revenge - One True Passion (Peter Hook from New Order's side project, Toad The Wet Sprocket - Pale, Mission UK - Carved in Sand, The Church - Gold Afternoon Fix, Midnight Oil - Blue Sky Mine, KLF - Chill Out (only KLF album I like), Bell Biv Bevoe - Poison (remember how HUGE that album was?! - I had to metion that one cuz it was so big at the time...does anyone remember that?!!), Depeche Mode - Violator, Social Distortion - Social Distortion, That Petrol Emotion - Chemicrazy, Lightning Seeds - Cloudcuckooland, Lloyd Cole - Lloyd Cole, among others....
I remember I TRIED to control the playlist...but a certain debut album by Mariah Carey also dropped that summer!
And that was a nightmare. Hearing her hit notes that only dogs can hear is a neat trick once in a while, but not all day long at work!! I am a humongous Teardrop Explodes/Julian Cope fan - so that got played the most next to Sundays. (I think Cocteau Twins Four Calender Cafe had dropped that summer too. But I was incensed that Liz was actually singing lyrics now!:LOL:).
Trinity Sessions was just in my wheelhouse. All mellow, recorded live in a church, a sultry female singer. Awesome.
Oh, I almost forgot. Harry Connick, Jr.'s soundtrack to When Harry Met Sally also dropped that summer! I LOVED that. It was the second coming of Franks Sinatra and Big Band Standards!
Great album. Too bad he eventually felt he needed to "get his funk on".:meh:

That was a nice epic thread derailment!!:LOL: Sorry!!:smuggrin:

Last edited:
  • Thanks
:rofl: You're good! I worked at a recod/video store in Denver that summer. I remember every release.
Other Highlights: Everybody Wants To Shag...The Teardrop Explodes, Revenge - One True Passion (Peter Hook from New Order's side project, Toad The Wet Sprocket - Pale, Mission UK - Carved in Sand, The Church - Gold Afternoon Fix, Midnight Oil - Blue Sky Mine, KLF - Chill Out (only KLF album I like), Bell Biv Bevoe - Poison (remember how HUGE that album was?! - I had to metion that one cuz it was so big at the time...does anyone remember that?!!), Depeche Mode - Violator, Social Distortion - Social Distortion, That Petrol Emotion - Chemicrazy, Lightning Seeds - Cloudcuckooland, Lloyd Cole - Lloyd Cole, among others....
I remember I TRIED to control the playlist...but a certain debut album by Mariah Carey also dropped that summer!
And that was a nightmare. Hearing her hit notes that only dogs can hear is a neat trick once in a while, but not all day long at work!! I am a humongous Teardrop Explodes/Julian Cope fan - so that got played the most next to Sundays. (I think Cocteau Twins Four Calender Cafe had dropped that summer too. But I was incensed that Liz was actually singing lyrics now!:LOL:).
Trinity Sessions was just in my wheelhouse. All mellow, recorded live in a church, a sultry female singer. Awesome.
Oh, I almost forgot. Harry Connick, Jr.'s soundtrack to When Harry Met Sally also dropped that summer! I LOVED that. It was the second coming of Franks Sinatra and Big Band Standards!
Great album. Too bad he eventually felt he needed to "get his funk on".:meh:

That was a nice epic thread derailment!!:LOL: Sorry!!:smuggrin:

Aww hell, dude . . . you've opened a can of many wiggly worms. I have to get my ass in my bed now, but I'll PM you tomorrow to talk music :thumbs:.

Last edited: