Netflix caps streams per household [updated]

digitalbabe

Premium Supporter
Apr 12, 2009
USA
Per Home Media Magazine:

Subscribers no longer can access streams on multiple devices from one account

Netflix during the Labor Day weekend quietly imposed a new policy that allows one stream per subscriber.

The new restriction comes as the Los Gatos, Calif.-based online disc rental pioneer bows streaming service across 43 Latin America countries, the Caribbean and Mexico.

Netflix heretofore has been largely indifferent toward the number of connected devices accessed its streaming portfolio. The company paid lip service to streaming caps with household access determined by the number of rental discs out at a time.

If you were on the one-disc plan you had access to one stream; two-disc plan, two streams, and so on. Netflix never actually restricted access as it pushed its streaming service and all but ignored physical rentals.

First noted by StopTheCap.com, a consumer-based broadband advocacy website, Netflix subs attempting access from multiple devices during the Labor Day weekend received a “streaming error” message explaining the new limitations.

With Netflix imposing a 60% rate hike on the combined streaming and physical disc membership options, subscribers seeking multiple streaming access in the home now will have to pay accordingly.

Two discs out at a time ($19.98 a month) will afford you streams on two devices, while the three-disc plan ($23.98) allows three streams, and four discs four streams from four devices at $29.98 a month.

wow there simply is no end to their greed...geez talk about squeezing every penny out of the loyal consumers...

I am starting to think the price hike for the streams/disc rental was simply a pre-meditated plan to get people on stream only to hike the prices on there too once the switch was made. Geez..

Update has been posted at Hacking Netflix site:

StoptheCap reported that Netflix was enforcing a single stream per account and had an error screen to back it up (and a bunch of sites picked up the story without verifying it with Netflix), but Steve Swasey, Netflix's VP, Corporate Communications, told HackingNetflix:

No Netflix member is limited to less than two concurrent streams. A few Netflix members have heard differently from us, which is an error that we are correcting.

I was able to stream on 3 different devices (2 PC's and the Roku) simultaneously last night on a $7.99 per month streaming-only account, so I'm wondering if there is a bug in the Netflix code that determines how many streams you can have.

Here's the Netflix streaming policy from the Netflix Help System:

Q: Can I watch movies instantly on more than one PC or Netflix-ready device?

A: Some membership plans allow you to watch simultaneously on more than one personal computer or Netflix-ready device. If you are on the Unlimited Streaming plan, the Unlimited Streaming + 1 DVD out-at-a-time plan or a limited streaming plan, you may watch only one device at a time.If you are on the Unlimited Streaming + 2 DVDs out-at-a-time plan, you may watch on up to two devices at a time. Members on the Unlimited Streaming + 3 DVDs out-at-a-time plan may watch on up to three devices at a time. The maximum is four devices at a time -- available for members on the Unlimited Streaming + 4-or greater DVDs out-at-a-time plan.

I am confused now, I read a couple of articles yesterday where some folks were claiming that they had a limit and some were claiming they didn't have a limit.

Dude, I've had this limit for like over 2 months now .... it definitely sucks, cause i dont use netflix but maybe once or twice a month. Sometimes my daughter likes to stream on the laptop while me on the ps3 and I always get the error message on my TV.

Dude, I've had this limit for like over 2 months now .... it definitely sucks, cause i dont use netflix but maybe once or twice a month. Sometimes my daughter likes to stream on the laptop while me on the ps3 and I always get the error message on my TV.

Really? I've been streaming on 3 TVs for months and never had a problem. My sister still streams at home while I am on my phone. Weird thing is Netflix is claiming they are not limiting but people are having these weird errors occurring.

Yeah, they were asking users if they were experiencing issues,and it seems to vary. Maybe Netflix is testing selectively, not sure...