Netflix Introduces New Pricing Plans

apsmith21

Operations Director
Staff Member
Aug 6, 2010
USA
BOOOOOOOOOOOO! :angry:

http://blog.netflix.com/ said:
First, we are launching new DVD only plans. These plans offer our lowest prices ever for unlimited DVDs – only $7.99 a month for our 1 DVD out at-a-time plan and $11.99 a month for our 2 DVDs out at-a-time plan. By offering our lowest prices ever, we hope to provide great value to our current and future DVDs by mail members. New members can sign up for these plans by going to DVD.netflix.com.

Second, we are separating unlimited DVDs by mail and unlimited streaming into separate plans to better reflect the costs of each and to give our members a choice: a streaming only plan, a DVD only plan or the option to subscribe to both. With this change, we will no longer offer a plan that includes both unlimited streaming and DVDs by mail.

So for instance, our current $9.99 a month membership for unlimited streaming and unlimited DVDs will be split into 2 distinct plans:

Plan 1: Unlimited Streaming (no DVDs) for $7.99 a month
Plan 2: Unlimited DVDs, 1 out at-a-time (no streaming), for $7.99 a month.

The price for getting both of these plans will be $15.98 a month ($7.99 + $7.99). For new members, these changes are effective immediately; for existing members, the new pricing will start for charges on or after September 1, 2011.

It sucks, but it will come back down to overall value. No one else offers a combo service like this right now, that lets people rent/stream movies that they don't care to own, or want to "test drive" first. Netflix's content deals will jump into the billions of $$$ soon-they had to raise prices eventually. Plus they're expanding into 40 more countries-something's gotta give.

Pardon me sounding ignorant(but I am) what sort of bit rate is the streaming at ? Is it HD streaming or just streaming at DVD levels of bit rate ? Assume that you need a fairly good connex as well to get a decent stream especially if you are getting HD streaming. Yet another bugbear here in UK.

It sucks, but it will come back down to overall value. No one else offers a combo service like this right now, that lets people rent/stream movies that they don't care to own, or want to "test drive" first. Netflix's content deals will jump into the billions of $$$ soon-they had to raise prices eventually. Plus they're expanding into 40 more countries-something's gotta give.

Yeah, I understand the economics behind it, but what's supremely frustrating is that you might be streaming a TV show, like my wife and I were, and then without warning, Netflix removes it from the streaming queue. I believe they post it on the website, but we don't use the webpage interface too much anymore given how better the Xbox interface is now.

So the only way I can now see that content is through DVD rental.

We're going to have to pick one or the other - most likely it'll be streaming as we don't go through the discs like we used to.

I guess what I'll end up doing is start supporting my local independent rental place when I want to get a new release here or there - Bart & Greg's DVD Explosion. :naughty:

Pardon me sounding ignorant(but I am) what sort of bit rate is the streaming at ? Is it HD streaming or just streaming at DVD levels of bit rate ? Assume that you need a fairly good connex as well to get a decent stream especially if you are getting HD streaming. Yet another bugbear here in UK.

I think it might be 720p at the max. I've heard claims of 1080i in the future, but that's a hells lot of bandwidth. You also have to remember it depends on the source too - so if the material is subpar, you'll see it. Other shows that had HD components look good though.

You need a decent connection for sure - I use a 5Mbps plan, but I doubt I get that on a regular basis.

Heck, it worked fine on 3 Mbps plan when we used that. Typically I can stream 2 devices on my current bandwith allocation.

Hey Ap-yeah I can definitely understand the frustration about the expiration in streaming-it's happened to us, too plenty of times. There are a few sites and apps out there that can alert you of expiration. But they could do a better job keeping you updated from their site directly, so you don't need to hunt around for 3rd party sites. I think Instaflix, or Feedfliks can help, but I think you need to pay a few bucks/month for some of the features. With all of the "alert" and "social media" tech and different functionalities websites now employ, it's definitely disappointing that they are not at least helping users get the most of their membership. I've tracked Nextflix for almost a decade, and been a member almost that long, as I am sure several members here, have been. And now that they push so incredibly hard with their streaming, and gave the disc the boot in many ways (not sure if you knew but some disc features were removed from instant queue, disc qty's removed, etc etc) there is not a fair warning when the streaming availability ceases.

I think I'm leaving Netflix.... again.... blockbuster can do it for much cheaper, I fail to see why Netflix needs more money. Especially when they recieve a payout from the major movie studies for not renting new releases for 4 weeks

If they're availability of movies was better I'd have no problem

Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using Tapatalk

I heard on the radio on the way into work this morning that they're hoping to push a lot of folks just to streaming content, get rid of the DVDs and their cost, and then expand the streaming catalog further.

We'll see.

Yeah, apparently the content managers and Ted Sarandos and others have publicly said this in interviews and their own investor conference calls. I'll stay tuned...