Netflix streaming issues?

The Last Airbender had some audio problem. So the film started and I noticed no audio was coming from my speakers, I turned the volume up and I could hear it. I though that it could be that perhaps they converted the film wrong and it just simply had very low volume. Wrong, the voices of the actors were off by at least 6-8 seconds and they were even lower volume than the score of the film. I turned it off after the first 5 minutes.

We've had issues every night now-"Can't connect to Netflix", loading, loading....not sure if this is the ISP's issue, or Netflix. But we've let them know, because that's all we can do. It's getting worse though-I may consider dropping the service-sad, since we've been a Netflix customer for 10+ years.

We've had issues every night now-"Can't connect to Netflix", loading, loading....not sure if this is the ISP's issue, or Netflix. But we've let them know, because that's all we can do. It's getting worse though-I may consider dropping the service-sad, since we've been a Netflix customer for 10+ years.

Could it be that your isp is throlling your connection?

Sent from my HTC Sensation 4G using Tapatalk

Could it be that your isp is throlling your connection?

Sent from my HTC Sensation 4G using Tapatalk

Hey Horhay-yeah, that's why I thought I'd include the ISP possibility in my reply. Some ISP's already do this, so I definitely wouldn't be surprised. Unfortunately their Facebook page, and multiple blogs and Tech sites are starting to lit up with Netflix streaming issues, across multiple devices and carriers. I really hope they don't throttle us. That will be the end of my subscription if we can't watch what we want, when we want, as that is how they market the spiel.

Hey Horhay-yeah, that's why I thought I'd include the ISP possibility in my reply. Some ISP's already do this, so I definitely wouldn't be surprised. Unfortunately their Facebook page, and multiple blogs and Tech sites are starting to lit up with Netflix streaming issues, across multiple devices and carriers. I really hope they don't throttle us. That will be the end of my subscription if we can't watch what we want, when we want, as that is how they market the spiel.

That would be my first thought, I mean I have Time Warner and haven't had issues that prevent me from watching anything on Netflix. Last month I watched tons of shows and every once in a blue moon I'd have a messaging saying "Could not reach the servers" with an option to try again and it would connect without a problem.

Yeah i am going investigate further. Performance levels apparent vary across carriers. Bandwidth caps were considered by Time Warner shelved it a few years ago. Like Netflix did with disc throttling-without our knowledge for a while-maybe several carries are also experimenting. Apparently some have done it with internet access
With all of the increased streaming volume I wouldn't be surprised if they're capping people on the "DL"

Sent from my Android from from outer space

I was worried I was getting the same streaming problems yesterday afternoon. Kept cutting out on me (it would go to 'buffering' then freeze for a few mins... then kick back out to the queue)

But it was my cable service... the modem went down a few times then was fine.

One good thing I'll say about NF Streaming... its worked brilliantly for me via xbox and ps3. HD video quality is improving (still wouldn't use it for a big, shiny, new action movie though)... and I never get buffering screens (unless the internet goes out like yesterday).

The only Netflix-caused problem I've had is audio-sync got all messed up when watching Naked Lunch... tried to restart it several times, and it just wouldn't work. Haven't tried since though.

FYI --- I have Cox Cable internet... 20mbps.

Last edited:
Quick update on my Netflix issue since my last post-I thought it may help someone here investigating streaming issues.

1) We use a PS3 to stream in bedroom-via wireless access. Over the last few months, we constantly see "loading, loading, loading" or "retrieving". Then it either kicks us out of Netflix, says it can't connect, and it just doesn't fix itself-even when we try other titles. I thought it may be the strength of our wireless signal, or that we were being "capped" in bandwidth, as some providers have started to do.

After getting very frustrated since we basically couldn't use Netflix, I called Cablevision this past weekend, and asked them straight out if they "cap" bandwidth. The staff member did a speedtest (speedtest.net), and our speeds were more than adequate for streaming. He also said Cablevision "does not participate in capping". (However, PR spin is common for all companies). Since I had no other proof that they do or don't, I went through the motions with him, and he said we have more than enough juice to stream,even HD content. He also confirmed that the distance we have from bedroom to router should not be an issue.

2) We also have a Roku in the livingroom-also connected wirelessly, and used for streaming. We've also had issues with this, with content cutting out periodically,but not as bad as the PS3.

Today, we have an appointment where a Cablevision tech is coming out for a different issue, and I asked them to add this so they can verify the signal strength, and see if perhaps the modem needs to be replaced/cable is loose or something else is broken.

As a test, I plugged the PS3 into a Netgear Internet adapter (turns any socket into an internet connection), and our transfer rate went up from 54 mps (as noted on our laptop, via wireless access), to 100 mps, naturally. It did the same thing, even if hard-wired. The one option I could not try was to plug the PS3 or Roku directly into the router with an ethernet cable, because the distance is too great, and we didn't have cables that were that long, in the house. Plus though I find cables and tech sexy, I don't want to be wrapped up in it (no way to hide it, easily), every step I take, LOL.

We've also noticed that our wireless signal strength constantly goes up and down on our laptops, if used in the bedroom.

Ironically, the Roku in livingroom, with wireless access, played numerous eps of Battlestar Galactica in HD, without issue. But it was also during the day, and perhaps not at peak times.

Netflix has worked fine for us for more than a year, but in the last few months we're barely able to watch 2 minutes and it cuts out. So, I'll have to do more investigating, but either our router is not strong enough (yet it worked before), or due to increased "requests" with Netflix's increased popularity, too many people are accessing certain content at the same time, and it's causing some issue. Or, maybe there is an issue with our wiring.

What's really funny, is this-as I was driving into work this morning I heard an "ad" for Verizon Fios, that claimed that the FCC had investigated our cable carrier (Cablevision), and found that their optimum "fast" speeds that they promise in their ads, are at 4 a.m in the morning, and that at other times they are "not so fast". Fios claimed that Fios is fast all of the time, but again, the ad was from Fios, and competition between these 2 carriers is fierce in our area.

Bah.

Hi JP-not yet:) When we first started having this issue, I googled, and it seemed a ton of people had this issue across carriers and at different times during the day. I figured I better check our hardware first before I call them to be sure it is not on our end. If Cablevision doesn't find anything wrong today, I will give Netflix a call soon. We always use the "report a problem", whenever we can't stream but of course they never respond to that, unless they have a "system-wide outtage" that affects many people at once. In those latter cases, they sometimes issue a credit. I'll definitely check with them once we've ruled out some hardware possibilities.

Last edited: